EJ/ Roethlisberger comparison from Whaley

Nah, I've been upset for years. I don't know how any fan of this team could be anything but upset at this point. Good for you if you're satisfied with the current state of affairs. You sound like the lot of those around RP McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the guys that were happy with their circumstances in the assylum.

I watch football for fun. We can leave anytime we want. If it makes you miserable, I'm sure that the door isn't that hard to walk through.

And oh, yes, everything I've ever posted indicates that I'm satisfied with the state of affairs. If you can't read.

I am a little skeptical.

I think Ben R. is a lot stronger in the pocket, and is much better at moving to keep plays alive in order to throw.

I also think Whaley undersells how good Ben R. was his rookie year. He won them a handful of games, and looking at his stats, he had a 98 QB rating and a 8.9 ypc average.

That said, I hope EJ can develop into Ben R.

EJ doesn't hv anywhere near the same escapability as Ben

I agree with the above. Over the past 5 or more years, no one has been more clutch in a collapsing pocket than Ben, nor has anyone appeared more "escapable".

I really don't know what Whaley is talking about in comparing EJ to Ben in this regard.

It's a nice comparison, but let's not forget that Ben was completing 66.4% of his passes that first year. His QB rating was 98.1. While not being asked to throw the ball a lot, he was very efficient when he did. EJ's numbers last year were just OK. His completion percentage was 58.8% and his QB rating was 77.7. His production was comparable to what Fitzpatrick was delivering to us year in and year out. If Manuel gets it, if he truly improves, he will be the best quarterback this team has had in 12 years, maybe more. The only thing that is Ben Roethlisberger like so far is his size.

I think that's they point though, EJ didn't have what Ben had his first year. We are working towards providing that to EJ, Whaley and I for that matter believe when we do he'll be on course to that type of career.

Big Ben had running backs that consistently hit the inside creases...taking A LOT of pressure off him in his first few years. He wasn't/didn't have to be the gun slinger he is now. He was also really good on the run, as EJ is...WHEN he's not taking unnecessary shots.

The biggest reason for success for Big Ben early on was his accuracy to put the ball where only his receiver could get it. And then that team had a ferocious defense under Dick LeBeau.

The editor's note is what's most important, in my opinion. Teams that run and stop the run win. Period. Once Buffalo fixes its putrid run defense, the Bills will start winning games. Lots of them.

If they don't fix it; the wins simply won't happen.

+about a million

I'm not saying it will happen, but EJ does have some similar characteristics ( tall, approx. 250 lbs, surprisingly mobile, strong arm, escapability in the pocket.. ie..reverse spin move, good in the clutch) to Big Ben and is it too far fetched to think he could potentially have a similar career? "Distribute. Distribute to the playmakers," Whaley said. "Now, five years from now? I'm gonna be saying he's our playmaker, so whatever he wants to do, he can do it. But the matriculation has to be like that. I lean on what it was like when I was with Pittsburgh. That's what happened with Ben Roethlisberger. His first year, if you look at his stats, I think we threw over 22 times maybe twice (Editor's note: There were four such regular-season occurrences), but we had a strong running game and we had a good defense. And that's what we got here."

maybe we can trade for Roethlisberger if EJ doesn't pan out.