Peter King's MMQB: live from Pittsford

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for this post. For those of us not able to attend, this piece provides some good observer presentations (how Watkins looked, but more important why he looked good - getting immediate separation- and better reporting getting a quote from Watkins about what he was trying to do which explained why he was getting good separation).

I also liked the reporting as to Spikes showing great motivation.

King's views about what the true challenge for the 2013 Bills to become a better 2014 Bills also seemed to be a sound analysis. The challenges facing a team which is without 3 of its starting 11 on D (particularly when 2 of these three were Pro Bowl quality players) is a fundamental challenge when the team uses virtually all of its draft picks on O players.

I wish the article went into more detail about these specific challenges.

The article leaves me with these questions as hopes:

1. I actually feel pretty good about the DBs even with the loss of Pro Bowl talent Byrd. I feel good enuf cause:

A. I think we should be good at safety with Aaron Williams demonstrating with his play he may be ready to step up his game and also Searcy/Williams are not certain starters but not unreasonable to hope for more. I loved hearing his observation Gilmore's good play stood out.

B. However. I have great and potentially fatal questions about potential concerns about our DL without Dareus.

C. Our depleted LB corps really needs 3 Pro Bowl quality DL players to do well at LB and DB. King does make me feel hopeful about the role Spikes might play to lead/force his D colleagues to be better players. We need Spikes to play the motivator role Ray Lewis played for the Ravens.

2. You gotta love the fans!

Didn't want this to get buried.

Welcome to Camp Hope

@theMMQB: Football is back, and so is @SI_PeterKing. His MMQB, live from Bills camp

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/21/buffalo-bills-training-camp-opens/

Yolo thanks for posting this. Hope always springs eternal this time of year and King reflected this. It's an EJ year, if he shines it will be a fun season. If not, it will be a long year this one and next.

Thanks Yolo.

Glad to see he thought the same of Brown and Watkins that I did after yesterday's practice.

Yep - the consistent names I have seen have been are BB, Watkins, AW, Hughes.

I can't help but think PK sold the D a little bit short.

What makes Peter King good is he writes stories. Not many sport writers do that anymore. Most just report news, or some (cough, cough) even mostly dog players and FOs, it's a pity. Thanks for the post.

He is a pure sportswriter. You can always tell the difference between that and a "blogger" - the bloggers have taken over, though. They are everywhere.

He is a pure sportswriter. You can always tell the difference between that and a "blogger" - the bloggers have taken over, though. They are everywhere.

Let's not get carried away here. Yes, peter King is a great storyteller, and I enjoy the stories he tells. But he is terrible at real football analysis. When he strays into trying to be an expert, that's when he gets in trouble.

Case in point. This is from an old Peter King article--which I posted on here several years ago:

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/118716-peter-king-cant-stand-him/page__st__20

Let's not get carried away here. Yes, peter King is a great storyteller, and I enjoy the stories he tells. But he is terrible at real football analysis. When he strays into trying to be an expert, that's when he gets in trouble.

Case in point. This is from an old Peter King article--which I posted on here several years ago:

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

http://forums.twobil...im/page__st__20

The icing on the cake is how PK is worried that giving up the first-rounder means missing out on RON DAYNE.

http://forums.twobil...im/page__st__20

Now that is some funny stojan. Of course, each and every one of us have an article/post someone could dredge up to make us look just as inept. Please do me a favor and don't search my archives; I freely admit my incompetence and bias when it comes to picking my favorite players/coaches/GMs.