Dareus not cleared to practice yet

I suspect they will be keeping him away from the press for a few days at least.

I wish the NFL wouldn't require players to be available to the press. I'd rather see him working, and not getting hounded by media with ads to sell.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 year olds never make mistakes. I, for one, am glad the organization is sticking with Marcell. He has not shown himself to be a bad person -- just a troubled one dealing with a lot of things most of us can't fathom. The sportswriters and fans clamoring for him to be cut are certainly not people I'd want to put my faith and trust in.

And yes, he gets a longer rope than a 7th round draft pick. That's life.

I'm not advocating that he gets cut. But I find his string of bad behavior troubling. His racing in an ubran setting was not merely reckless, it was dangerous. Someone I worked went to California to watch his son start his first major league game. The end result was the pollice knocking on his hotel door to tell him that his son, and only child, was killed in a car crash along with another person or two. The only survivior in their car was permanently mained and will not be able to live a normal life.

The killing driver was not hurt. He was drunk and recklessly speeding, going through red lights. After the accident his response was to run.

My harsh criticisms of Dareus is that his irresponsible behavior stretches over an extended period of time. He has been disciplined and talked to, yet the bad behavior continued. I wish him well but I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lest we forget he WAS involved in a NCAA dust up over a party that he supposedly wised-up and left. Story seemed fishy then. Seems fishier now.

The only thing "fishy" about the party was the NCAA. The NCAA is a corrupt broken POS that needs to be tossed to the curb.

I'm not advocating that he gets cut. But I find his string of bad behavior troubling. His racing in an ubran setting was not merely reckless, it was dangerous. Someone I worked went to California to watch his son start his first major league game. The end result was the pollice knocking on his hotel door to tell him that his son, and only child, was killed in a car crash along with another person or two. The only survivior in their car was permanently mained and will not be able to live a normal life.

The killing driver was not hurt. He was drunk and recklessly speeding, going through red lights. After the accident his response was to run.

My harsh criticisms of Dareus is that his irresponsible behavior stretches over an extended period of time. He has been disciplined and talked to, yet the bad behavior continued. I wish him well but I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

How does this situation even come close to driving drunk and killing someone?

id say the similarity is in that it was reckless and unneeded risk taking on public roads that puts other people in potential harms way. That he hit a tree may have been bad luck, that it wasnt a person was definitely good luck.

He was speeding/racing in an urban setting and crashed into a tree. If you don't see the potential for killing an innocent pedestrian or crashing his car into another car then you are not thinking this through. You don't think that the manner in which this crash was caused could have also severely injured or even killed himslef?

Edited by JohnC

He was speeding/racing in an urban setting and crashed into a tree. If you don't see the potential for killing an innocent pedestrian or crashing his car into another then you are not thinking this through. You don't think that the manner in which this crash was caused could have also severly injured or even killed himslef?

in the middle of the afternoon on a schoolday too, I might add.

What makes this incident really stupid is that he was already involved in another legal action in another jurisdiction before his ignominious crash. He didn't have an iota of consideration that his reckless behavior could have affected others. This is a guy who was disciplined by his team last year for multiple infractions. So what does he do in the offseason?: He comes in out of shape and is involved in multiple criminal actions.

I want to see him get on the right path. It's obvious that he needs help. But that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be held accountable for his outlandish behavior. If he isn't suspended by the league he should be suspended by the team.

Edited by JohnC

He was speeding/racing in an urban setting and crashed into a tree. If you don't see the potential for killing an innocent pedestrian or crashing his car into another car then you are not thinking this through. You don't think that the manner in which this crash was caused could have also severely injured or even killed himslef?

Sure the potential was there. What I'm saying is there's a difference between speeding, which this essentially was, and being drunk and speeding.

Sure the potential was there. What I'm saying is there's a difference between speeding, which this essentially was, and being drunk and speeding.

Reckless driving is not the same thing as speeding. And the fact of the crash suggests there was in fact no difference.

Reckless driving is not the same thing as speeding. And the fact of the crash suggests there was in fact no difference.

If you speed and get into an accident, it's reckless driving. Impairment is, again, a major difference.

If you speed and get into an accident, it's reckless driving. Impairment is, again, a major difference.

You are working so hard to create a logical position that just isn't there. An impaired driver who crashes and causes damage or injury did something stupid and it led to a crash. MD did something stupid and it led to a crash, without benefit of a drink. The fact that no one was standing around that tree is just dumb luck. Emphasis on dumb (but apparently not drunk).

He wasn't drunk or high at the time. Which just means he has no excuse for acting like an idiot.

kj

You are working so hard to create a logical position that just isn't there. An impaired driver who crashes and causes damage or injury did something stupid and it led to a crash. MD did something stupid and it led to a crash, without benefit of a drink. The fact that no one was standing around that tree is just dumb luck. Emphasis on dumb (but apparently not drunk).

He wasn't drunk or high at the time. Which just means he has no excuse for acting like an idiot.

kj

You are astute and perspicacious. :thumbsup:

kj

Not really.

It was outside the Mongolian Buffet. Most people at the Mongolian Buffet are inside getting seconds of sweet and sour chicken. Give the big man some credit.

kj

So being drunk, speeding, and killing someone is no different than speeding and hitting a tree? The only difference is dumb luck because no one got hurt?

Just so we're clear, fellas...

Reckless driving = negligence

Drunk driving = gross negligence

They're not the same animal, and trying to equate Dareus' admitted idiocy with the actions of a drunk driver is inappropriate -- and perhaps offensive.

Just so we're clear, fellas...

Reckless driving = negligence

Drunk driving = gross negligence

They're not the same animal, and trying to equate Dareus' admitted idiocy with the actions of a drunk driver is inappropriate -- and perhaps offensive.

You are astute and perspicacious. ;)

Possible solution:

Bills buy a fast food chain franchise. When one of the players does not meet on or off field expectations, that player has to get there at 4:30 AM and flip friggin burgers for a few days. Deal with irate customers etc. Then after 10 hours of that, they volunteer at a community shelter and help people with disabilities for 5 or 6 hours. Then off to bed. Repeat until said message gets through.

A little perspective would go a long way.