What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Just now, Tiberius said:

Sounds like the government drafting them

And the section I quoted clearly indicates that they were expected to provide their own weapon,  among other gear.  

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The whole argument is stupid regardless.  This dipstick could have used any run of the mill semiautomatic hunting rifle to the same effect.  

You miss the point, the toxic masculinity that the NRA and right wing groups promote about this weapons makes it the cool weapon for people to use. It’s a cultural right wing thing that kills people, Trump is only the lateral victim

of this cult of death 

Trump a gun victim 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

And the section I quoted clearly indicates that they were expected to provide their own weapon,  among other gear.  

Drafted! And they have to pay a tax by equipping themselves! Wow 

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The whole argument is stupid regardless.  This dipstick could have used any run of the mill semiautomatic hunting rifle to the same effect.  

Correct but also that an "assault" weapon is not a category of gun so by banning "assault" weapons they could just ban any gun they want by saying it could be used in an assault (all guns). They use that word specifically to try and set a legal precedent for banning all guns including "hunting guns" or whatever they decide.

The current laws ban automatic weapons. The shooter used a semi-auto which is basically what every single modern gun is. So if they want to ban that type that's pretty much everything including hand guns. There's nothing stopping him from taking that shot with a bolt action sniper rifle so the "ban the AR-15" crowd should know it wouldn't stop what happened yesterday and in fact wasn't even the best tool for the job.

Also, many guns can be modified to automatic so by banning them they are just putting law abiding citizens at a disadvantage vs criminals who already don't follow the law. Most of the kids in Chicago have $5 Glock "switches" that make them full auto.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Correct but also that an "assault" weapon is not a category of gun so by banning "assault" weapons they could just ban any gun they want by saying it could be used in an assault (all guns). They use that word specifically to try and set a legal precedent for banning all guns including "hunting guns" or whatever they decide.

The current laws ban automatic weapons. The shooter used a semi-auto which is basically what every single modern gun is. So if they want to ban that type that's pretty much everything including hand guns. There's nothing stopping him from taking that shot with a bolt action sniper rifle so the "ban the AR-15" crowd should know it wouldn't stop what happened yesterday and in fact wasn't even the best tool for the job.

Also, many guns can be modified to automatic so by banning them they are just putting law abiding citizens at a disadvantage vs criminals who already don't follow the law. Most of the kids in Chicago have $5 Glock "switches" that make them full auto.

Seeing more and more of those Glock switches these days, which are illegal as far as I know.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Don't get me wrong,  I completely agree with you in the context of the greater argument over gun rights.  Its just that in terms of this specific incident,  I don't think it matters. 

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Seeing more and more of those Glock switches these days, which are illegal as far as I know.

Highly illegal. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Illegal, also can be easily printed on a 3D printer in like 30 min

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Assassinating the president is illegal!!!  Like totally banned. 

Dude also had homemade explosives.  

Your fallacies are not even logical. 

And a good guy with a gun ended the threat.  

But not until after 4 people were shot...one fatally.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

That's all illegal. Like banned.  You will get killed for doing it. 

I agree that killing people is illegal.  It just doesn't stop people from doing it.

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

So, I’m guessing that by now we are all in agreement that the whole “good guy with a gun” thing is a myth, right? 

The only myth is that you will still be a good guy if you use it. I'm prepared to go to jail if I need to in order to protect my family. They will call me a racist and every name in the book but as long as my family is still alive that's all that matters to me. I will not be a hero though I would only use if there was no other choice. I'm not the guy running into the mall to stop anyone, I'm getting my family to the parking lot.

Sorry, you guys are on your own and you will wish you had a gun too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The only myth is that you will still be a good guy if you use it. I'm prepared to go to jail if I need to in order to protect my family. They will call me a racist and every name in the book but as long as my family is still alive that's all that matters to me. I will not be a hero though I would only use if there was no other choice. I'm not the guy running into the mall to stop anyone, I'm getting my family to the parking lot.

Sorry, you guys are on your own and you will wish you had a gun too.

Nah man. The myth is that more people

having guns will prevent bad guys from doing crimes with guns. It’s been disproven time and time and time and time again, but some people still believe it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Nah man. The myth is that more people

having guns will prevent bad guys from doing crimes with guns. It’s been disproven time and time and time and time again, but some people still believe it. 

Right because if you use it to save someone then you are no longer the good guy. They will drag you through the mud in the media about how racist you are and a vigilante and they will show high school graduation pics of the killer about how nice they were and how they were turning their life around and fail to show their gang photos. There are no good guys, everyone just needs to look out for themselves 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Right because if you use it to save someone then you are no longer the good guy. They will drag you through the mud in the media about how racist you are and a vigilante and they will show high school graduation pics of the killer about how nice they were and how they were turning their life around and fail to show their gang photos. There are no good guys, everyone just needs to look out for themselves 

Nah. If you end up using a gun to save people, you’re a statistical anomaly. 

It’s like buying lotto tickets to fund your retirement. Sure, you can find someone it worked out for in the aggregate, but it’s generally not gonna work out the way you want. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

A good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun from killing more people.  

Good guys with guns working to provide the kind of security few Americans will ever be able to benefit from were unable to prevent a bad guy with a gun from injuring a presidential candidate, wounding people, and killing at least one person. 

• Eyeroll 1

I posted below in response to a poster in another thread.  Libs would not respond because they could not wrap their heads around logic.

Obviously you’re advocating for the assassination of Trump - no if, and, or buts. Out of curiosity, the vast majority of Libs are for severe gun control. The 2nd amendment’s main purpose is to enable an armed populace which can rise against a tyrannical government. 

If Trump wins election, libs believe it is the end of our democracy - hell, even Biden said those exact words. 

Wouldn’t you want guns with which to overthrow the gov’t?

5 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

I posted below in response to a poster in another thread.  Libs would not respond because they could not wrap their heads around logic.

Obviously you’re advocating for the assassination of Trump - no if, and, or buts. Out of curiosity, the vast majority of Libs are for severe gun control. The 2nd amendment’s main purpose is to enable an armed populace which can rise against a tyrannical government. 

If Trump wins election, libs believe it is the end of our democracy - hell, even Biden said those exact words. 

Wouldn’t you want guns with which to overthrow the gov’t?

LOL. What idiot thinks that a bunch of people with AR-15s are going to take on the US military?

Oh yeah, sure. A bunch of my buddies are going to take out the Air Force with our hunting rifles. 

The idea of citizens overthrowing the US government by violence is the fantasy of morons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

LOL. What idiot thinks that a bunch of people with AR-15s are going to take on the US military?

Oh yeah, sure. A bunch of my buddies are going to take out the Air Force with our hunting rifles. 

The idea of citizens overthrowing the US government by violence is the fantasy of morons. 

How do you explain the many years of the US in Iraq and Afghanistan?

• Like (+1) 1