What is better, no guns, or more guns?

I was at dinner with 4 dudes couple months ago.  2 were liberal and the 2 conservative.  No one at the table was a jack ass like so many of you on here.  Everyone got along.  But the weird part was the 2 liberals had concealed carry and the 2 conservatives did not.  Everyone had quite a laugh and everyone agreed the media hypes this BS way too much.  The liberals were pro second amendment and the conservatives did not see a need to have military style weapons on the street.  Odd situation ha? 

10 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I was at dinner with 4 dudes couple months ago.  2 were liberal and the 2 conservative.  No one at the table was a jack ass like so many of you on here.  Everyone got along.  But the weird part was the 2 liberals had concealed carry and the 2 conservatives did not.  Everyone had quite a laugh and everyone agreed the media hypes this BS way too much.  The liberals were pro second amendment and the conservatives did not see a need to have military style weapons on the street.  Odd situation ha? 

I think you’ll find that the vast majority of people in this country get along just fine. Don’t let the news media, Twitter, or the race baiters taint what you know from your personal experience to be true. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Good news here in Illinois

Speaker Welch (D-Hillside) said the legislation bans the sale, delivery, and purchase of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines in Illinois. Long guns will be limited to 10 rounds per magazine and handguns cannot have more than 15 rounds.

"This legislation includes a comprehensive, detailed, and updated list of assault weapons subject to the ban," Welch said.

The bill also bans the possession and use of rapid-fire devices that increase the firing rate of semiautomatic weapons.

While the focus on assault style weapons misses the biggest drivers of gun deaths, this is a step in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Pro tip. I treat people like  billstime, tibs etc. the way I do because A) they act like jackasses themselves so Pot. Kettle. Black and B) because I don't know anyone here personally and I never will.

I'm sure everyone here has friends in their personal lives from the opposite side of the aisle. Well maybe not @BillStime, but that's because they know them personally and beyond just their political leanings.  Go figure.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Good news here in Illinois

Speaker Welch (D-Hillside) said the legislation bans the sale, delivery, and purchase of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines in Illinois. Long guns will be limited to 10 rounds per magazine and handguns cannot have more than 15 rounds.

"This legislation includes a comprehensive, detailed, and updated list of assault weapons subject to the ban," Welch said.

The bill also bans the possession and use of rapid-fire devices that increase the firing rate of semiautomatic weapons.

While the focus on assault style weapons misses the biggest drivers of gun deaths, this is a step in the right direction.

That will have immediate impact. No longer with parts of that state have gun violence (per 100K) at war zone levels.  Willl be mayberry by next year.

59 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Pro tip. I treat people like  billstime, tibs etc. the way I do because A) they act like jackasses themselves so Pot. Kettle. Black and B) because I don't know anyone here personally and I never will.

I'm sure everyone here has friends in their personal lives from the opposite side of the aisle. Well maybe not @BillStime, but that's because they know them personally and beyond just their political leanings.  Go figure.

Seems to me you are one of the top jackasses on here.  So stfu. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

There are educated people and uneducated people in regards to firearms on both sides of the isle. 

I'm from southern (rural) Oklahoma... it's Dixieland so there are a lot of registered democrats. Almost have to be to vote for your local sheriff. That said, the former District Senator is from my small town. He's a former Highway Patrol and is very pro-2A and well educated on firearms, democrat. My dad, very conservative who's friends with former US Senators, State Senators and even has gone on vacation with former State Governors... he knows VERY LITTLE about guns. He calls his Ruger Six and his Henry 357 lever action I got him, "Cowboy guns". He thought you could push a button on an AR-15 you get at the gun shop and it makes it full auto. He just is not educated very well in firearms. 

Like the last part of "military style weapons" comment you made. No one wants people running around on the streets with AR-15's, AK-type weapons, etc. on the streets. But you should be allowed to own one if you can legally own one. The AR platform (I say that because you can get AR's in about every caliber) is the MOST POPULAR hunting rifle in the country. We deer hunt with AR-10's, hog hunt with AR-300 AAC Blackouts, small game hunt with .22LR (which you can get in an AR platform). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Please , please don't take my shotgun away.  There's bears in them there hills.  Have an air horn (which has proved effective), bear spray which i wish not too use and haven''t) and a 12 gauge with Turkey shot (bird gun it won't  handle a decent slug).  Don't need any more.  Don't need any less.  If you want a slug barrel, go for it.  May I suggest a Remington 870.  Not planning to fight a war and if there  were, we"re all f^&*I(ed.

Edited by redtail hawk

THE ANTI-GUN ATTITUDE IS MORE RELIGIOUS THAN THE REVERSE:

FTA:

It’s interesting that Auster is writing about death by gunshot when it was so recently — just last year — that his 10-month-old granddaughter died from drugs and his 44-year-old son was arrested for that death and then died from a drug overdose.

And it’s interesting that he disparages the religion-like attitude toward rights, when “He has described right-wing Republicans as ‘jihadists.'” That blithe injection of religion appears in the above-linked Wikipedia bio. And it makes me wonder, given the quote at the top of this post, if he’d call the Black Panthers “jihadists.”

Of course not, that would be bigoted.

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2023/01/paul-auster-purveys-notion-that-black.html

CIVIL RIGHTS UPDATE: 

A Federal Judge Blocks New Jersey’s Sweeping Restrictions on Public Gun Possession.

By banning firearms from a wide range of "sensitive places," the state effectively nullified the right to bear arms.

https://reason.com/2023/01/16/a-federal-judge-blocks-new-jerseys-sweeping-restrictions-on-public-gun-possession/

On 1/12/2023 at 7:14 AM, Chris farley said:

That will have immediate impact. No longer with parts of that state have gun violence (per 100K) at war zone levels.  Willl be mayberry by next year.

It’s possible to improve on a problem without completely eradicating it.

Until Indiana, Wisconsin, and Missouri decide they don’t want people being shot all the time, nothing Illinois does will end gun violence. 

But that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth it to try to reduce the number of deaths where we can. 

7 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

It’s possible to improve on a problem without completely eradicating it.

Until Indiana, Wisconsin, and Missouri decide they don’t want people being shot all the time, nothing Illinois does will end gun violence. 

But that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth it to try to reduce the number of deaths where we can. 

Silly strawman. any articles or sources for those flows of guns?  Image at least one would be caught.   and logistically?  Are the dudes in Chicago driving out there and buying guns?  or are those dudes driving down to the city and selling them?  

Those states also have parts with war zone gun levels. In the cities ran by DEMS that refuse to prosecute gun possession.  

you wanna reduce it. Aggressively go after the gangs, the gun charges, and any of these gun alleys you speak of.