What is better, no guns, or more guns?

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I'm sure the intruder deserved to be shot but was this kid within his legal rights in Alabama? The thief wasn't a threat to the kid since he was leaving. This should get interesting.

Quit being a gay. 

That child deserves a medal and a parade. Good for the lad. 

13 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Quit being a gay. 

That child deserves a medal and a parade. Good for the lad. 

With that attitude you may find yourself in jail some time. Alabama appears to be a "stand your ground" state but it appears that the intruder was already outside and leaving, causing no imminent threat to that child.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

With that attitude you may find yourself in jail some time. Alabama appears to be a "stand your ground" state but it appears that the intruder was already outside and leaving, causing no imminent threat to that child.

Probably The Dude had some "haji" walk away from him once, and he's still upset about it.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Probably The Dude had some "haji" walk away from him once, and he's still upset about it.

The_Dude seems to see things through a different perspective, one in which his colon is clearly blocking his view.

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Now he's a good boy! Deserves a medal. The burglar also got his just reward.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Tom, I wish you got to know Haj like I did. I wish more that Haj got to know you like Haj got to know me. I wish that more. 

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Now he's a good boy! Deserves a medal. The burglar also got his just reward.

The boy and his guardian/gun owner will be lucky if there are no legal consequences. I mentioned in my first post regarding this that the intruder most likely deserved to be shot. This doesn't appear to be an instance though where he should have been shot. I'd suggest to you if you're going to be packing that you read up on the law.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

The boy and his guardian/gun owner will be lucky if there are no legal consequences. I mentioned in my first post regarding this that the intruder most likely deserved to be shot. This doesn't appear to be an instance though where he should have been shot. I'd suggest to you if you're going to be packing that you read up on the law.

Sir.....do you really think the "if" was necessary in that sentence. I assure you, if there's no metal detectors I'm packin. Further, the kid has GOT to learn that you have to get the robbers attention, shoot them from the front, and then say "I feared for my life" to every question. 

2 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Sir.....do you really think the "if" was necessary in that sentence. I assure you, if there's no metal detectors I'm packin. Further, the kid has GOT to learn that you have to get the robbers attention, shoot them from the front, and then say "I feared for my life" to every question. 

This 11-year old boy was taught to shoot by his stepfather who also gave him access to the gun. The way this went down all three people might be in legal jeopardy.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

This 11-year old boy was taught to shoot by his stepfather who also gave him access to the gun. The way this went down all three people might be in legal jeopardy.

Now as a father I do NOT have my arsenal accessible because of kids. I literally keep their Red Ryder BB gun locked up. Guns are to remain under the strictest physical security standards. 

I'm just having a bit of fun -- but I'm a solid believer in parents not making their guns accessible to their children. Its a bad idea.

8 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Now as a father I do NOT have my arsenal accessible because of kids. I literally keep their Red Ryder BB gun locked up. Guns are to remain under the strictest physical security standards. 

I'm just having a bit of fun -- but I'm a solid believer in parents not making their guns accessible to their children. Its a bad idea.

Well, the stepfather may pay the price on this one.

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well, the stepfather may pay the price on this one.

Well, he's an idiot for leaving guns to a childs judgement.

By the way, while I'm mostly always serious, I always dilute my statements with my own brand of humor...even though I'm mostly the only one who finds it funny. But, ya gotta amuse yourself, right? Just sayin, I'm not as crazy or unglued as people think.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I think it could probably be reasonably argued that the child feared for his own life after suffering through a home invasion, regardless of the state of the intruder when he was shot.

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I think it could probably be reasonably argued that the child feared for his own life after suffering through a home invasion, regardless of the state of the intruder when he was shot.

Would an adult get the same consideration? My guess is they wouldn't. That being the case, it shows that a child should not have access to a deadly weapon for judgement reasons alone. I doubt that there will be any serious consequences for the boy but the stepfather should be worried.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Would an adult get the same consideration? My guess is they wouldn't. That being the case, it shows that a child should not have access to a deadly weapon for judgement reasons alone. I doubt that there will be any serious consequences for the boy but the stepfather should be worried.

Our legal system makes very different accommodations for minors than it does for adults.

I think one can also make a reasonable argument that parents who have firearms in the home should teach their children about their proper use as tools, while also understanding that children may perceive risks to their own lives and personal safety differently.

An over-zealous, gun grabbing prosecutor may decide to try to make an example out of someone here, but I think it will be hard to get a conviction.

If the child shot the intruder while he was facing him, or in the house, do you think there would be a case?

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Our legal system makes very different accommodations for minors than it does for adults.

I think one can also make a reasonable argument that parents who have firearms in the home should teach their children about their proper use as tools, while also understanding that children may perceive risks to their own lives and personal safety differently.

An over-zealous, gun grabbing prosecutor may decide to try to make an example out of someone here, but I think it will be hard to get a conviction.

If the child shot the intruder while he was facing him, or in the house, do you think there would be a case?

In the home and facing him, no way. He was outside and walking away though. Culpability, if any will probably fall on the stepdad.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

In the home and facing him, no way. He was outside and walking away though. Culpability, if any will probably fall on the stepdad.

Agreed, but only if there is an over-zealous, gun grabbing prosecutor.

My reasoning being that if it was reasonable for the child to shoot the intruder if he was in the home or facing him, with no culpability for the step-father, this becomes an arena where  you have to make allowances for a minor's discretion.

A legal decision based around punishing a parent for when a state lawyer thinks is it reasonable for an 11 year old child to fear for their lives in a home invasion is a bad legal decision if it decides to do so;  and I think it likely a jury would agree with me.

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

You may want to defer your argument to The dude. If anyone at this moment completely understands how an 11-year-old thinks, it's The Dude.