What is better, no guns, or more guns?

1 hour ago, Gary M said:

“despite constant and substantially increasing gun ownership, the United States saw progressive and dramatic reductions in criminal violence,” write Kates and Mauser. “

Anyone else see the irony in a gun study by somebody named Mauser?

4 hours ago, Gary M said:

Correlation may not equal causality, it also completely misrepresenting the source and the nature of the "study" as another poster pointed out. Onto the correlation point, I am not saying that there is or isn't a positive correlation between gun access/density and crime but rather that the findings might be not accurately looking at the cause of crime vs. the reason laws were enacted. For example if violent crime is increasing in an area or region, that region will enact gun control laws. The Gun control laws were a response to rising crime not the cause of the rising crime. Whereas if crime isn't a major problem in an area then that area won't enact gun control laws. So the safe nature of an area isn't a result of laxer gun laws but rather a byproduct of it. 

Crime tends to correlate to relative poverty and lack of opportunity (Which results in single motherhood and a lot of disaffected youth who are the most susceptible to commit crime) above any other factors such as criminal justice and gun control laws. I just don't think gun control or loosening of gun laws correlate that much to general crime.

48 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Our niece is bringing her Muslim boyfriend to the house on thursday...I'm going to offer him ham more than once and show him a few things at the basement bar.giddy up.

he's from Jordan.

A shotgun named Marcus-Clutch

And I'm planning on spending my Thanksgiving not being a complete doucherocket and utterly reprehensible human being.  But hey...good luck with your plan.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And I'm planning on spending my Thanksgiving not being a complete doucherocket and utterly reprehensible human being.  But hey...good luck with your plan.  

My home,my rules.The ham will be placed in front of him,and he's going to smell the ham.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Turning over a new leaf? The prior Tom would have given the guy stuffing with bacon hidden in it.

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Our niece is bringing her Muslim boyfriend to the house on thursday...I'm going to offer him ham more than once and show him a few things at the basement bar.giddy up.

he's from Jordan.

A shotgun named Marcus-Clutch

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

My home,my rules.The ham will be placed in front of him,and he's going to smell the ham.

not for nothing but... it is your nieces Thanksgiving as well. if she loves her uncbluesky, you can bet she sure as hell won't after the, 'my home,myrules' asshattery.

Edited by Foxx

13 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

12 hours ago, Foxx said:

not for nothing but... it is your nieces Thanksgiving as well. if she loves her uncbluesky, you can bet she sure as hell won't after the, 'my home,myrules' asshattery.

I'm not a big fan of the "religion" of "peace" myself, but Foxx has a point.

• Like (+1) 2

Court: NRA lawsuit against NY Gov Andrew Cuomo over “blacklist” can go forward

“the allegations of direct and implied threats to insurers and financial institutions because of these entities’ links with the NRA … are sufficient to make out plausible First Amendment freedom-of-speech claims.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1