I really like the man Jim Kelly has grown into.

I just felt like posting that. For the sake of 5 days Jimbo and I are the same age. I have always loved the way he played but wasn't too keen with his ways off the field, other than his charitable work with children. He was too brash, too cocky and it was a real turn off. There were a few incidences that I can recall but it really doesn't matter now. I heard him in a blurp on ESPN just now and there was something that he said that I can really understand and believe. When they asked him about cancer Jimbo responded that he's not scared to die right now and could accept it but that he also has plenty to do and a lot more people's lives to change but the thing that he said that moved me was that there has been a lot of people who have changed his life also. I can understand that, I really can. Being similar in age, experiencing life and how it can develope a person, I understand now what he means. It was quick and simple and most wouldn't 't have caught it but I did and wanted to point that out to others so it would have more meaning and weight to it. Jim Kelly is a good man due to maturity. Hopefully I am now too because while I may not have liked Jimbo way back when but I also didn't like who I was either back then. This post is kind of bringing my post from the other day where I was suggesting some sort of rehab/clinic type facility sponsored by the NFL for troubled athletes, whether it be from injury, addiction, legal troubles or just flat out plain social/society ineptness. I guess the whole moral point of these posts is that people, everybody actually, has value but sometimes it might take more time for some than for others. Jim Kelly, I believe, is a living example. Hopefully I am too.

Over three meetings in ten years, I've had the pleasure of his making his acquaintance once. The first two times, the pleasure was all his; he was a spoiled-ass punk. The third time, he was genuinely humble, approachable, friendly, and downright appreciative of my recognition and respect. It was a pleasant transformation to watch.

I believe I can explain that transformation all with one word: Hunter.

Over three meetings in ten years, I've had the pleasure of his making his acquaintance once. The first two times, the pleasure was all his; he was a spoiled-ass punk. The third time, he was genuinely humble, approachable, friendly, and downright appreciative of my recognition and respect. It was a pleasant transformation to watch.

That really is a shame, too

I met him once; but it was on a phone call. This was the year after he retired, when there were rumors about him coming back and possibly playing for Baltimore. I forgot the question I asked him (it was a press conference call and a buddy of mine let me sit in as a nice gesture; he had no intentions of writing anything) but he misunderstood and was a complete a-hole about it. I couldn't stand him for many years after that. Respected his football ability and his loyalty to Western NY, but still thought he was a pure dick.

But ... as I get older, I realize more than ever that people can - and do - change. Many times that change is growth. His change has been growth and I believe he is a wonderful person today.

Kick cancer in the !@#$ing ass, Jimbo.

I'll use two words: Hunter and Jesus

Edited by Triple Threat

so true and well said

I'll use two words: Hunter and Jesus

I think that's right. Maybe people mean Hunter's death, but I know some firsthand accounts of JK being an ass in his post retirement years, while Hunter was still alive.

Not really in these last 5+ years.

I think that's right. Maybe people mean Hunter's death, but I know some firsthand accounts of JK being an ass in his post retirement years, while Hunter was still alive.

Not really in these last 5+ years.

Yeah. Jim hasn't been near as open about his Christianity as his wife but I think down deep that's where most of his change has come from.