LAMP (OT) DVD formats....

I understand the difference between the widescreen and full screen formats but my question is why are so many titles released in widescreen format only? This pisses me off because I hate those damn black bars! :) I'd rather lose a little of the "side" action and watch it full screen. I wish they would all put both on a DVD, one on the front and the other on the flipside.

I understand the difference between the widescreen and full screen formats but my question is why are so many titles released in widescreen format only? This pisses me off because I hate those damn black bars!  :)  I'd rather lose a little of the "side" action and watch it full screen. I wish they would all put both on a DVD, one on the front and the other on the flipside.

218151[/snapback]

I won't debate the merits of OAR (original aspect ratio), but I can tell you that:

As soon as you buy a widescreen TV (and sooner or later, you will),

if you want to watch your full-frame DVDs, you will have to either stretch the image to fill the screen (like a fun-house mirror), or watch them with bars on the left and right sides. Both of these extremes really suck.

I think it's just a matter of what everyone is used to -- going letterboxed is tough, we all grew up watching a 4:3 ratio screen. Besides I bought a X" screen TV and I want my movie to fill it up.

Really, when it comes down to it, what convinced me for letterbox is:

You have a choice to hack off one thing or another

1. Two black, empty rectangles at the top and bottom of the screen (therefore missing no part of the movie)

2. Up to 1/4 of the screen which contains cinematography that the director decided was important to the feel of the movie

It's a lot easier to make the change when you look at it that way. Some movies are impossible to even picture with a full screen cut. Gibson's "Passion" probably loses a lot of impact going full screen.

sorry, bro - couldn't disagree more... I love widescreen. You miss quite a bit when you take what was meant to fit in a rectangle and cramp it into a square.

218181[/snapback]

That boils down to it. Widescreen is what the film is shot in, and it loses alot already being shown on a TV screen, widescreen TV or not. The film is made to be seen on a huge screen at a movie theatre. Thus the reason at the beginning of every movie shown on TV "this film has been adapted from its original form and formated to fit your screen." As the previous post indicates, the director makes the movie to be viewed in the format is in, and this is lost when the aspect ratio is reduced from widescreen to normal. I never realized the difference until the film class I took in college - professor asked everyone if they'd ever seen a movie on television. Everyone raised their hands. He laughed and said we were all wrong. A little snotty, but true.

I wish they would all put both on a DVD, one on the front and the other on the flipside.

218151[/snapback]

Many DVD titles give you that option, or you need to be careful when you're ordering the DVD.

But, for the true representation of the movie, widescreen is better because it's the original format of the shot.

I understand the difference between the widescreen and full screen formats but my question is why are so many titles released in widescreen format only? This pisses me off because I hate those damn black bars!  :)  I'd rather lose a little of the "side" action and watch it full screen. I wish they would all put both on a DVD, one on the front and the other on the flipside.

218151[/snapback]

Would you take an original Monet painting and cut it down to fit your picture frame?

:)

CW

218151[/snapback]

They used to ship both versions of each movie like that 3 and 4 years ago but realized they would make more $$$$ if they separated the two.

P.S., get anamorphic widescreen that would fill your entire widescreen t.v. or PC screen.

I understand all your points. I guess I just bought my HDTV too soon because it's a regular screen. I don't know if I'd be able to get it by the wife to get a widescreen HDTV right now. I've only had this one a few years. I guess I'll just have deal with it. Damn technology, always moving too fast for us poor folks. :)

218151[/snapback]

Because 10 years from now there will be few full screen TVs anyway. Big picture.

I understand the difference between the widescreen and full screen formats but my question is why are so many titles released in widescreen format only? This pisses me off because I hate those damn black bars!  :w00t:  I'd rather lose a little of the "side" action and watch it full screen. I wish they would all put both on a DVD, one on the front and the other on the flipside.

218151[/snapback]

BLASPHEMY!!!! BURN HIM!!!!! :P

:D