Question about players on IR

Can they be with the team during the season or even TC to help with the non-physical part of prep, especially in the film room? I think this was one of Kiko's greatest strengths and wondering if he might still be in the meeting room with the LBs?

Edit: I realize TC might not be realistic and he needs to focus on rehab and recovery, but wondering how much interaction players like this might have with the team during the season. Just hoping he can still be present somehow in the preparation aspect.

Edited by YoloinOhio

A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list) who is "not immediately available for participation with a club". Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) that they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team.

Assuming that wiki is correct...

I wonder though, as a rookie, was his early success due to preparation or football instincts?

PS...I don't want to incur the wrath of #thelegendofkiko, but, his play really suffered in the second half of the season. I do think he's better suited for the outside though.

I wonder though, as a rookie, was his early success due to preparation or football instincts?

PS...I don't want to incur the wrath of #thelegendofkiko, but, his play really suffered in the second half of the season. I do think he's better suited for the outside though.

i definitely think it was a result of both of those things, however, his film study and game prep was discussed last year as one of his strengths. So just thinking that perhaps could he still contribute in some way with his LB group.

Also, from that link, looks like he is more likely to end up on PUP?

Edited by YoloinOhio

They haven't announced if he will be IR'd might end up on (not sure it is the) PUP list, some of these heal quickly if not to severe from what I have read. If they rush him back though it could be a pretty bad mistake. There is also the IR with the option to return thing.

They haven't announced if he will be IR'd might end up on (not sure it is the) PUP list, some of these heal quickly if not to severe from what I have read. If they rush him back though it could be a pretty bad mistake. There is also the IR with the option to return thing.

I don't believe they would rush him back. It could heal in 6 months but it makes more sense in the long term to wait until next year. I just wasn't sure if they would IR him or if he would go on the PUP list since it occurred so early. Either way, it appears he can be with the team. I think he could be a positive influence just being there.

Almost all rookies do...their bodies have been going nonstop for over a year at that point with no rest...spring practices, followed by their college season, followed by bowl game, followed by combine training, followed by combine, followed by pro day training, followed by pro day, followed by rookie minicamps, OTAs, training camp, preseason games and then 16 regular season games.

It's just too much...overload for the body

Edited by matter2003

Almost all rookies do...their bodies have been going nonstop for over a year at that point with no rest...spring practices, followed by their college season, followed by bowl game, followed by combine training, followed by combine, followed by pro day training, followed by pro day, followed by rookie minicamps, OTAs, training camp, preseason games and then 16 regular season games.

I agree with this as well as I think teams were being much more aware of him and were accounting for him at all times on the field.

Edited by BigdaddyinOrlando

agree with this. He also played the 4th most snaps of any player in the league, and about 7 more games than he is used to in a college season.

I agree with this as well as I think teams were being much more aware of him and were accounting for him at all times on the field.

I'd say that teams became more aware of him and used his weaknesses against him. He's (unfortunately) got a full year to get himself mentally ready for the outside position.

Study film, go to meetings...come back and kick ass.

I don't believe they would rush him back. It could heal in 6 months but it makes more sense in the long term to wait until next year. I just wasn't sure if they would IR him or if he would go on the PUP list since it occurred so early. Either way, it appears he can be with the team. I think he could be a positive influence just being there.

6 months would be about as aggressive as I can imagine and even that would basically be playoffs

You're right. With an ACL there is 0% chance he returns in 2014, even if we made the playoffs ( dare I say it ). Give him an entire year to heal, rehab, work on building strength and stability to the knee, and look forward to him ripping it up at the Wil in 2015.

As to the other comment later in the year, he was getting beat up in run plays against guards. It makes sense as he is only 235 lbs. he's built and has skills for the outside.

Now if Preston Brown can be even close to as good as Kiko, he also is over 250 lbs. and between him, Spikes, and Lawson possibly, we'll stop the run.

I'd say that teams became more aware of him and used his weaknesses against him. He's (unfortunately) got a full year to get himself mentally ready for the outside position.

Study film, go to meetings...come back and kick ass.

so it makes sense he would be in the film and meeting rooms... I mean he is still getting paid and it will only help him for next year to learn the scheme. Assuming we don't have to change DCs again!!

You're right. With an ACL there is 0% chance he returns in 2014, even if we made the playoffs ( dare I say it ). Give him an entire year to heal, rehab, work on building strength and stability to the knee, and look forward to him ripping it up at the Wil in 2015.

As to the other comment later in the year, he was getting beat up in run plays against guards. It makes sense as he is only 235 lbs. he's built and has skills for the outside.

Now if Preston Brown can be even close to as good as Kiko, he also is over 250 lbs. and between him, Spikes, and Lawson possibly, we'll stop the run.

Agreed. It's best to have Kiko fully healed and ready for next year. Do not rush him back.

I thought that either PUP or injured reserve did not have access to the trainers and facilities.

Not sure why i thought that , because it wouldn't make sense. Who wouldn't want to make best us of down time ?

I hope he makes it back for the playoffs . We might have injuries by then . So dont hurry back but the goal for him should be to return during the season.

Hell he should be 110% by the Super Bowl right !

I thought that either PUP or injured reserve did not have access to the trainers and facilities.

Not sure why i thought that , because it wouldn't make sense. Who wouldn't want to make best us of down time ?

I hope he makes it back for the playoffs . We might have injuries by then . So dont hurry back but the goal for him should be to return during the season.

It would make sense that they are still expected to contribute when they can - as they are getting paid and under contract, But first and foremost, I am sure they want his focus on rehab. I am not sure if he is required to rehab at the facility or if he can elsewhere such as U of Oregon or NorCal where is from.

Suspended players aren't allowed access to the facility or trainers.

It would make sense that they are still expected to contribute when they can - as they are getting paid and under contract, But first and foremost, I am sure they want his focus on rehab. I am not sure if he is required to rehab at the facility or if he can elsewhere such as U of Oregon or NorCal where is from.

Assuming the Bills don't hold his injury against him. They could say it was a non-football related injury since it was away from the facility. He wouldn't get paid for the year and wouldn't count against his contract.

Assuming the Bills don't hold his injury against him. They could say it was a non-football related injury since it was away from the facility. He wouldn't get paid for the year and wouldn't count against his contract.

Right. I would be shocked if this happened, however, we don't know the details at this point. The fact that Whaley specifically said he was "training," however, leads me to believe that whatever happened that will be what is used as the reason.

Right. I would be shocked if this happened, however, we don't know the details at this point. The fact that Whaley specifically said he was "training," however, leads me to believe that whatever happened that will be what is used as the reason.

I doubt that they will and end up putting him on year long IR, give him a split salary and not have this year count against his seasons earned.

They really don't have to make any decisions until they have to make a roster cut down.

Plus IRed players can go to meetings. They are also allowed to do their PT with team trainers.

Ron Brooks was in meetings and training when he was on the IR designated to return thing.

So he likely will be around the team in some regard throughout the season.

They really don't have to make any decisions until they have to make a roster cut down.

Plus IRed players can go to meetings. They are also allowed to do their PT with team trainers.

Ron Brooks was in meetings and training when he was on the IR designated to return thing.

So he likely will be around the team in some regard throughout the season.

Thats a good thing . i hope the situation stays genial and Buffalo bean counters have no influence. its a pittance to them anyway.

Thanks WSS and all the above

That i knew . Thanks for the clarification

Mr. The Wiz.

nobody beats him !