Tom Cruise as Andy Dufresne?

Just Jack

It could have happened.....

4. Castle Rock Entertainment, the studio that made Shawshank, was co-founded by Rob Reiner—director of another King adaptation, Stand By Me—and is named after the mythical Maine town that provides the setting for many of King’s books. After director Frank Darabont pitched Shawshank to the studio, Reiner originally offered $2.5 million for the script to star Tom Cruise as Andy Dufresne and Harrison Ford as Red.

more Shawshank trivia here - http://mentalfloss.com/article/57589/15-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-shawshank-redemption

I worked at a restaurant that was on the ground floor of the same building as Castle Rock. He used to come in for lunch every day with Billy Crystal. What a blowhard Reiner is/was. A true meathead.

Edited by Chef Jim

I can see Tom Cruise as Andy. Cruise is a better actor than most people give him credit for.

Harrison Ford as Red is a bit of a stretch, though.

i am not a big fan of tom cruise, so there is no way i could see him playing that part. but, i am biased and this is one of my all time favorite movies. and i can't picture anyone but tim robbins playing this role. every part in this movie seemed to be casted to perfection. i get sucked into this movie whenever it is on.

I agree that Tom is a good actor and most people have declared him crazy because of Scientology and some other incidents, but still a good actor. However, he lacks a certain goofyness, nerdiness, awkwardness, perceived intelligence that Robbins was able to nail in the movie. It made the character IMO. And yes, I'm glad we are not debating Harrison as Red, that would have been a terrible idea. I don't find him to be that great of an actor (except in the Fugitive, he was great in that and the Jack Ryan roles). Everything else he's been in I always think to myself "man he looks like he's acting." That's a sure sign that you are not that great of an actor! I vividly remember loving Air Force One when I was younger, then I watched it again in the last year or two, I could hardly get through it he was so bad in it.

Edited by Mark80

I imagine Cruise could have pulled it off. He is a pretty decent actor (Born on 4th of July, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, Tropic Thunder, Oblivion, etc). A lot of bad ones, too, but few blockbuster stars can avoid the bad roles. He's a nut but . . .

I highly recommend Edge of Tomorrow. Go see it.

Edited by Max Fischer

I can see Tom Cruise as Andy. Cruise is a better actor than most people give him credit for.

Harrison Ford as Red is a bit of a stretch, though.

Cruise is best known for his clenched jaw/heavy breathing/sprint toward the camera (a la The Firm)....not sure there was a sequence in Shawshank that fits that role.

Shawshank is one of my most favorite movies of all time. I am very glad that Tom Cruise had nothing to do with it. It was written and produced well enough that it likely still would have ended up a great film with Cruise in that role; I'm just glad it didn't happen. He is nowhere near my list of favorite actors, or my list of actors I think are great ... but he's not horrible. Tim Robbins was perfect; as was Morgan Freeman and everyone else cast in the movie, in my opinion.

SR has been playing on IFC (uncle scored but with commercials) over and over the past couple days. Sat down and watched big sections of it several times. I can't envision anyone but Robbins and Freeman playing the parts, but it would be interesting to see how it would have turned out with the other guys.

Cruise is best known for his clenched jaw/heavy breathing/sprint toward the camera (a la The Firm)....not sure there was a sequence in Shawshank that fits that role.

He has a group of writers that specifically write running scenes into scripts once he signed on because Cruise knows he looks great when he runs.

That's not a joke.

He has a group of writers that specifically write running scenes into scripts once he signed on because Cruise knows he looks great when he runs.

That's not a joke.

Seriously?? I was just busting chops because my wife and I always say how he always has a sprint scene in every movie...there ya go.

Seriously?? I was just busting chops because my wife and I always say how he always has a sprint scene in every movie...there ya go.

100% true and hilarious when you go back through his movies... most of the running scenes at least feel organic, but others, not so much. Knowing that little nugget completely changes the end of Jerry Maguire for me.