Is there something to be said about hometown...

On the Heels of Lebrons decision of going back home, does TSW think that maybe Whaley had some foresight with bringing in a few hometown kids (Graham,Williams etc) We all know that Places like Buffalo and Cleveland are not understood by people who are not from the area or who have never experienced how passionate Buffalo fans are. Time will tell how much impact it will have to have kids playing for their hometown team but IMHO there's nothing like cheering for kids who bleed Bills red white and blue. Just ask any Caves fan today how they feel.....thoughts?

LV

there's definitely something to be said about growing up and playing for your hometown team. you want to win for them. but there's a lot of negatives too. everyone that ever knew you growing up coming out of the woodwork asking for money, getting sucked back into some of your old habits with people you were better off not being around, the hopes and dreams of everyone you know weighing on your shoulders. personally, i'd rather move away and play for another team

Mark80 - was thinking the exact same thing.....so who is/was the best football player ever to come out of WNY? Bill Bergy? Gronkowski? Ron Jaworski? The Dombrowski kid from Williamsville (back in the 70's - may have the last name wrong)?

Edited by chaccof

Sammy was/is a huge Bills fan............he's coming "home". :)

Was Sammy really a "huge Bills fan," or did he just like the Bills for a short period of time? I've heard the interviews, and it sounds like he was into the Bills during the Bledsoe/Peerless Price years.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but was he really that big of a fan?

Was Sammy really a "huge Bills fan," or did he just like the Bills for a short period of time? I've heard the interviews, and it sounds like he was into the Bills during the Bledsoe/Peerless Price years.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but was he really that big of a fan?

Sammy wasn't born in the Super Bowl years. What do you want him to do? Root for a team that he didn't exist to see?

Sammy wasn't born in the Super Bowl years. What do you want him to do? Root for a team that he didn't exist to see?

Easy captain. My point was that perhaps his Bills "fanship" was slightly misrepresented during all the post-draft hype. I see people post all the time about how SW is and has been a "huge" Bills fan. I haven't heard anything to suggest that. That's all ponchie.

I'm not hating on Sammy...

On the Heels of Lebrons decision of going back home, does TSW think that maybe Whaley had some foresight with bringing in a few hometown kids (Graham,Williams etc) We all know that Places like Buffalo and Cleveland are not understood by people who are not from the area or who have never experienced how passionate Buffalo fans are. Time will tell how much impact it will have to have kids playing for their hometown team but IMHO there's nothing like cheering for kids who bleed Bills red white and blue. Just ask any Caves fan today how they feel.....thoughts?

LV

If you notice Bills are bringing in locals who are more suited to the PS but at least giving them a start in the NFL. I believe they have now developed and good line of communication with UB too .

Marrone and Syracuse , Obviously .

Yes i think its noticable and pretty cool , how Bills make an effort to bring regional guys/kids to the Bills .

Williams I think is a personal thing with marrone and Whaley seeing an opportunity.

Graham is just a good aquisition all around imo .

Watkins was the best player in the draft IMHO

Yeah, he definitely was saying that before he was drafted by us. He would say how he loved playing the Bills in Madden and grew to love them because of it and has been a fan ever since. I think he said something about Peerless Price, Bledsoe, and Henry specifically, this would put it at around 2002 or 2003 for the game, right around 10 years old for him. That's the perfect age to find and fall in love with "your team" forever.

It's all good and fun, but with all due respect...those three combined won't have half the impact Lebron has on his team and community.

And as far as Patrick Kane, after seeing this...there's no doubt in my mind that if Chicago starts to slip, he demands a trade "home," especially if they end up with McDavid. And as we have seen in all sports, these teams cannot stay good forever...it goes in cycles...the good will be bad and the bad will be good.

Edited by Bob Malooga