Best spinoffs in TV history?

eball

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best i can think of are Frasier, Colbert Report, and Star Trek the Next Generation (and also enjoyed Enterprise).

Didn't The Simpsons start on the Tracy Ulman show? If it qualifies, I'd think it warrants serious consideration.

The best i can think of are Frasier, Colbert Report, and Star Trek the Next Generation (and also enjoyed Enterprise).

Didn't The Simpsons start on the Tracy Ulman show? If it qualifies, I'd think it warrants serious consideration.

First reply in the thread.

It's a toss-up for me:

Frasier (spun off from Cheers) had more longevity, but Boston Legal (spun off from The Practice) is my all-time favorite show...it's a shame it only went 5 seasons, but there's something to say for ending before you run out of ideas.

Funny you mentioned Boston Legal.

The Practice was like one of my all-time favorite legal shows. I couldn't stand Boston Legal.

Also....

Torchwood

Angel

Ahhhh, so are you a Whovian?

IMO---that is the best written show on tv. The way they tie in storylines from the last 4 decades is unbelievable...

It is amazing, and Chef brought up a similar thought in another thread about current Hollywood. Of all that is on TV currently I watch cartoons more then anything. Family Guy, Simpsons, King of The Hill, South Park, Futurama, American Dad. If I watch anything else regularly or with enjoyment it is usually one of these old shows. Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Happy Days, and although not a spin off - Wonder Years.

The Danny Thomas show.

I just watched that entire thing. Loved it, and didn't realize that was a spinoff. Maybe I'll go up to Mayberry this weekend - it's not a real place but Pilot Mtn is, and there is an area up there they call Mayberry. It's about an hour away.

Then going by that logic, "Matlock" is a spinoff from "The Andy Griffith Show".

I consider Happy Days a spinoff because Ron Howard pretty much plays the same character just grown up and the timing would be about right to make it accurate.

I have no idea what American Graffiti is...

Beverly Hillbillies to Petticoat Junction to Green Acres

Didn't know that either.

Then going by that logic, "Matlock" is a spinoff from "The Andy Griffith Show".

"Firefly" was spun off from "Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place," of course.

STTNG technically wasn't a spinoff, merely a sequel.

A true spinoff contains main characters introduced as supporting in the original. E.g. The Jeffersons, from All in the Family.

I just watched that entire thing. Loved it, and didn't realize that was a spinoff. Maybe I'll go up to Mayberry this weekend - it's not a real place but Pilot Mtn is, and there is an area up there they call Mayberry. It's about an hour away.

The Andy Griffith Show was one of the best shows ever in opinion. Great characters. Barney Fife was one of the most brilliant characters ever on TV. Don Knotts was great.

The Andy Griffith Show was one of the best shows ever in opinion. Great characters. Barney Fife was one of the most brilliant characters ever on TV. Don Knotts was great.

That reminds me of another awful one. "The Ropers."

Ahhhh, so are you a Whovian?

IMO---that is the best written show on tv. The way they tie in storylines from the last 4 decades is unbelievable...

I don't like to lump myself into any form of fruitloop brigade(apart from Bills fan) so I don't call myself a Whovian.....though I do own all of the DVDs(including all of the old stuff :blush: ).....and am very much looking forward to the new Peter Capaldi Doctor.

Torchwood(seasons 3+4) IMO is some of the best Sci-Fi/Horror ever made for TV(regardless of spin-off status)......particularly season 3 "Children of Earth".