Best spinoffs in TV history?

eball

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually don't think that's right. i looked it up, and found it nowhere.

It's not a spinoff. I think most think it because the voice of Hank Hill is very remiscent of Tom Anderson (the old neighbor on B&B). Back to real spinoffs. Empty Nest wasn't bad.

Frasier was the best in my mind.

Did not know Mork and MIndy was a spinoff...still love that show

Yeah Mork and Mindy was a spin-off of Happy Days which had a second good spin-off of Laverne and Shirley too.

With news leaking about a "potential" Breaking Bad spinoff (i.e., was Walter White really dead?), and one already in the works ("Better Call Saul"), I started thinking about the topic in general.

There have been some horrible spinoffs for sure (AfterMASH), but what have been the best ones?

I'll start the discussion with a damned good one: Frasier

I have to stick up for "AfterMASH". It was a decent-to-good show. It's biggest problem was that it followed up one of the greatest television shows ever.

It did have it's weak points, but it could have been a good spinoff. Too bad CBS didn't give it more of a chance.

It's not a spinoff. I think most think it because the voice of Hank Hill is very remiscent of Tom Anderson (the old neighbor on B&B). Back to real spinoffs.

It's basically the exact same character in appearance, voice, influence (who Judge based them off of), and personality. Basically the only difference is the name. Technically not a spin-off, but in reality it's exactly what it is.

Edited by Mark80

"Actor-director Jerry Paris was inspired to create the character of Mork after directing an unusual and memorable episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show, "It May Look Like A Walnut," in which Van Dyke's Rob Petrie has a dream wherein he believes the Earth has been surreptitiously invaded by walnut-eating aliens who stole humans's thumbs and imaginations.[10] (Series creator Carl Reiner had written the episode, which was the 20th in the show's second season and the 50th episode produced.) When he moved on to direct Happy Days, Paris introduced Mork in a similarly atypical season-five episode titled My Favorite Orkan..." -From Wiki's DVD Show entry

Andy Griffith

What did that spin-off from? Before my time. Was there an original AG SHow?

It's a toss-up for me:

Frasier (spun off from Cheers) had more longevity, but Boston Legal (spun off from The Practice) is my all-time favorite show...it's a shame it only went 5 seasons, but there's something to say for ending before you run out of ideas.

1. Happy Days was not a spin off of Andy Griffith in any way, shape or form.

2. I just read that Mary Tyler Moore's son shot himself in the head - accidentally - in 1980. How tragic.

3. I still think my list is the best.

4. Beavis and Butthead was not a spin off of anything.

5. Mr. ags should stay.

Laverne & Shirley was good? :blink:

I was born in '77 so I'm living off the nostalgia of Laverne and Shirley. Back to Happy Days as a kid, I even named my gold fish, Ralph, Ritchie (and the brown one) the Fonze.

Edited by The Jokeman

It's a toss-up for me:

Frasier (spun off from Cheers) had more longevity, but Boston Legal (spun off from The Practice) is my all-time favorite show...it's a shame it only went 5 seasons, but there's something to say for ending before you run out of ideas.

DENNY CRANE!!!