Best spinoffs in TV history?

eball

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like to lump myself into any form of fruitloop brigade(apart from Bills fan) so I don't call myself a Whovian.....though I do own all of the DVDs(including all of the old stuff :blush: ).....and am very much looking forward to the new Peter Capaldi Doctor.

Torchwood(seasons 3+4) IMO is some of the best Sci-Fi/Horror ever made for TV(regardless of spin-off status)......particularly season 3 "Children of Earth".

LOL, I agree about being lumped in, but i am an unashamed fan of the Doctor. I also look forward to Capaldi. The new episodes will be here soon enough.

AS for Torchwood, I loved Captain Jack Harkness' role in Doctor Who, and Torchwood was Amazing. My daughter has a picture with John Barrowman and his autograph. She is a huge fan as well. He seems like a nice guy IRL.

Fraiser is the end all be all of spin offs. Most awards, longest running (I believe it outlived Cheers), but above all else it's still a hilarious 22 minutes of television. The writers carried that magic over to Modern Family where they continue to dominate the comedy genre.

That said, in my opinion, the second best spin off ever was this one... Be warned, you will end up singing this song all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGUqwaORfbU

Edited by GreggyT

I would have never guessed there were so many ...

http://en.wikipedia....ision_spin-offs

And, so many lasted a season or so. Almost all of them are horrible!

Fraiser is the end all be all of spin offs. Most awards, longest running (I believe it outlived Cheers), but above all else it's still a hilarious 22 minutes of television. The writers carried that magic over to Modern Family where they continue to dominate the comedy genre.

Frasier was so great. To me, it was better than Cheers, and I liked Cheers a lot. I didn't know those writers are the ones doing Modern Family!

Frasier was so great. To me, it was better than Cheers, and I liked Cheers a lot. I didn't know those writers are the ones doing Modern Family!

Yeah, Chris Lloyd who co-created Modern Family with Steve Levitan, both came from the Frasier tree. Lloyd was there from 93 until Frasier wrapped and was one of the co-creators. Levitan only was on Frasier for two seasons but he was a consulting producer (I believe) for the final five seasons or so. Both are hugely talented guys who have long careers of making the funny.

There are a lot of sad stories from the behind the scenes of Frasier, David Angell who was a producer on the show and Kelsey Grammer's best friend, was on one of the two planes that hit the twin towers. That's why at the end of the series Niles and Daphne's baby is named David. It was a huge loss for everyone, but especially Grammer who has had a tough, tough, tough life if you look into it. Apparently he would show up for work and be dealing with whatever horrific thing in his life was happening at the time but the moment it was time to act, he slipped easily into the character of Frasier. Once the scene was over he would go back to his dark places. Even with his acclaim and awards, I still think Grammer is hugely underrated as an actor. Dude has unbelievable range.

Edited by GreggyT

Yeah, Chris Lloyd who co-created Modern Family with Steve Levitan, both came from the Frasier tree. Lloyd was there from 93 until Frasier wrapped and was one of the co-creators. Levitan only was on Frasier for two seasons but he was a consulting producer (I believe) for the final five seasons or so. Both are hugely talented guys who have long careers of making the funny.

There are a lot of sad stories from the behind the scenes of Frasier, David Angell who was a producer on the show and Kelsey Grammer's best friend, was on one of the two planes that hit the twin towers. That's why at the end of the series Niles and Daphne's baby is named David.

Hey...spoiler alert, !@#$!

There are a lot of sad stories from the behind the scenes of Frasier, David Angell who was a producer on the show and Kelsey Grammer's best friend, was on one of the two planes that hit the twin towers. That's why at the end of the series Niles and Daphne's baby is named David. It was a huge loss for everyone, but especially Grammer who has had a tough, tough, tough life if you look into it. Apparently he would show up for work and be dealing with whatever horrific thing in his life was happening at the time but the moment it was time to act, he slipped easily into the character of Frasier. Once the scene was over he would go back to his dark places. Even with his acclaim and awards, I still think Grammer is hugely underrated as an actor. Dude has unbelievable range.

Very interesting info

Any fans of these spin-off shows?

By the way, a very underrated spin-off is the spin-off they did of "Leave it to Beaver." I can't remember the name of the show, but Wally and Beaver (played by the same actors) are grown up and the show is about their kids and family. You can catch some of the episodes on youtube.

Google says

the New Leave It to Beaver (also known as Still the Beaver) is classified as a series revival sequel (not spin-off)

This is going to sound stupid, but I feel like a lot of die-hard Practice fans would feel the same way:

James spader's character on the practice (Alan shore) basically brought the whole show down. I couldn't get past equating Alan shore with the demise of my favorite show. I think it colored my view of Boston legal.

Now that it's been 15 years since the end if the Practice, maybe I ought to go back and give BL another shot!

My patience with "The Blacklist" is wearing thin, but I'll continue to stick with it and hope that it starts getting somewhere faster.

Any fans of these spin-off shows?

1) Family Matters (spun off from Perfect Strangers)

2) Different World (spun off from Cosby Show)

By the way, a very underrated spin-off is the spin-off they did of "Leave it to Beaver." I can't remember the name of the show, but Wally and Beaver (played by the same actors) are grown up and the show is about their kids and family. You can catch some of the episodes on youtube.

I really had the hots for Jasmine Guy on Different World. Great body...............That show was decent for a spinoff.