Joe Buscaglia & Robey

vegas55

Joe B and his top 20 rankings of Bills officially became a joke when he listed Robey at 14 well ahead of McKelvin. Is he serious? The position McKelvin played last year is far more difficult than a nickel/slot corner, and as an outside corner McKelvin was often tasked with covering the other teams #1 receiver. And in Pettine's defense, McKelvin was put on an island and did very well. Regardless an outside corner is far more valuable, and far better paid than a slot guy. An NFL team NEVER drafts a cb in round one with the intent of putting him in the slot. The more demanding position by far is outside, ie Revis, Sherman etc. we did not draft Gilmore to play the slot.

So Joe B. defended his ranking on WGR yesterday by stating in part that Robey made more plays, including sacks. Hey Joe, the slot guy should have more sacks - he is asked to blitz more often because he is always lined up so much closer to the QB. Comparing the position of slot corner to outside is comparing apples to oranges - one position is so much more demanding - that's why all the great NFL CB s play outside.

Joe B was "shocked" when Robey was originally placed on second string during recent OTAs. Well Joe, this was done after a real NFL expert, Jim Schwartz, spent the winter reviewing film. And probably saw how weak Robey was in run support, a critical function for a slot guy.

I like Robey as a player, and it looks like he has played himself back on to starting unit. But there's a reason McKelvin was a #1 pick, who was just resigned to a multi year, multi million dollar contract. The undrafted Robey, as much as I like him, is in no way shape or form superior to McKelvin. That laughing you are hearing from one bills drive is NFL coaches reading that WGR s "expert" would rank Robey higher than McKelvin.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just his opinion. Don't get so bent out of shape over which CB he thinks is better. Who cares???

And fwiw, I probably agree with it. Robey was a monster last year. He wasn't just solid. He made plays to win games in time of need.

It is just his opinion. Don't get so bent out of shape over which CB he thinks is better. Who cares???

And fwiw, I probably agree with it. Robey was a monster last year. He wasn't just solid. He made plays to win games in time of need.

Agreed. Robey was an absolute beast last season, and IMO, had a greater impact than McKelvin did. And that is saying a lot because I thought Leodis had a fine season. Defending the pass, playing the run, creating turnovers, rushing the passer...Robey did everything well.

I'm expecting big things from this CB group this season.

I thought Robey was better than McKelvin last year too. I've been thrilled with how much McKelvin has improved, but he does not seem like a game-changer. Robey was solid even beyond his big plays, and seemed to be improving as the season went on. I hope he gets a lot of playing time again this year so we can see how high his ceiling is....

McKelvin made me very nervous returning punts last year.

I like Joe B too. I don't always agree with him, and I know some here don't like him because they think he comes off as a "know it all", but I think he is the best that GR55 has to offer for Bills coverage. I like Sal Cappacio too...but he has been on the radio way too much as of late...sometimes too much is not a good thing...

As for the whole Robey Vs McKelvin thing..who cares? Ranking the top 20 players on the team, regardless of position, is kind of a silly task anyways. I like both players quite a bit. That said, Robey was a real UDFA find last season, and impressed most (not you I guess)...McKelvin has taken 5 years to finally be the complete corner they thought he was going to be...if one is ranked 17th, and the other 14th, who cares?

Edited by Buftex

The real question is why you hate Robey so much.....

The reason he probably rated him so he is he flat out makes plays......and does it despite being the "little train that could"

McKelvin was a 1st round pick that we were afraid was gonna bust.....and he really picked up his game last year AFTER signing his new contract...which I really respect.

He thinks that their are 12 more talented players than Wood.... Also chandler and Leodis are not the low end of the teams starters how can they be # 19 and 20 when there are only 22 starters that should be considered. His thinking is warped!!!

Joe B and his top 20 rankings of Bills officially became a joke when he listed Robey at 14 well ahead of McKelvin. Is he serious? The position McKelvin played last year is far more difficult than a nickel/slot corner, and as an outside corner McKelvin was often tasked with covering the other teams #1 receiver. And in Pettine's defense, McKelvin was put on an island and did very well. Regardless an outside corner is far more valuable, and far better paid than a slot guy. An NFL team NEVER drafts a cb in round one with the intent of putting him in the slot. The more demanding position by far is outside, ie Revis, Sherman etc. we did not draft Gilmore to play the slot.

So Joe B. defended his ranking on WGR yesterday by stating in part that Robey made more plays, including sacks. Hey Joe, the slot guy should have more sacks - he is asked to blitz more often because he is always lined up so much closer to the QB. Comparing the position of slot corner to outside is comparing apples to oranges - one position is so much more demanding - that's why all the great NFL CB s play outside.

Joe B was "shocked" when Robey was originally placed on second string during recent OTAs. Well Joe, this was done after a real NFL expert, Jim Schwartz, spent the winter reviewing film. And probably saw how weak Robey was in run support, a critical function for a slot guy.

I like Robey as a player, and it looks like he has played himself back on to starting unit. But there's a reason McKelvin was a #1 pick, who was just resigned to a multi year, multi million dollar contract. The undrafted Robey, as much as I like him, is in no way shape or form superior to McKelvin. That laughing you are hearing from one bills drive is NFL coaches reading that WGR s "expert" would rank Robey higher than McKelvin.

Agreed. Not that I don't think Robey did a great Job, but McKelvin's role had a much higher degree of difficulty and he had his best season as a pro.

Robey was a hidden gem and made huge contributions to team, but no way is he 12th best on this roster -- sorry -- not a Robey hater but a realist. I do like Joe B, at least he invests time to understand and study the game --- unlike some of the other buffoons that cover team.

McKelvin had a few suspect games last year. Some games where you just didn't realize he was on the field. Are we forgetting that?

When Robey was on the field he made a bigger impact then McKevlin but the sample size is much smaller

I'm not that impressed with Joe B. He always sounds so tentative, like he doesn't believe what he's saying. He reminds me of a guy in over his head at a job interview trying to BS his way through it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

McKelvin had a few suspect games last year. Some games where you just didn't realize he was on the field. Are we forgetting that?

When Robey was on the field he made a bigger impact then McKevlin but the sample size is much smaller

I'm pretty sure that when you don't realize a cornerback is on the field, he is having a good game.

Agreed. Robey was an absolute beast last season, and IMO, had a greater impact than McKelvin did. And that is saying a lot because I thought Leodis had a fine season. Defending the pass, playing the run, creating turnovers, rushing the passer...Robey did everything well.

I'm expecting big things from this CB group this season.

Nobody on our entire team did well against the run last season. While I think Robey was a very good "Nickell" last season, the OP is correct, an outside CB is always going to be more valuable than a nickel back, especially one who played as well as Leodis did last season. Robey wasn't that far off though.