Keith Rivers is mostly likely Kiko's replacement, per Chris Brown

I hope this is the case. Lawson is far better as an LB and is great against the run. He will not have the same impact as a DE.

I think Schwartz will try out a few different things in TC and go with the best fit at each position, however, everything we have heard out of the Bills including this interview with CB is that in this scheme the prefer to rotate Lawson and Hughes at DE. I really like Lawson as a player, will be interesting to see where he ends up lining up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Hughes reportedly playing quite well at the end position, I don't doubt this for a second...

I know he is undersized for every down DE but I want Hughes on the field as much as possible if for nothing else to see if he can be an every down player and for the Bills to decide if they should resign him otherwise I don't see him returning in a situational role next year.

I hope not I want to see Brown step in and step up. We need to keep the use of mid tier FA's to backups if possible and draft picks step up and become starters. That is how winning Organizations do it

Brown looks like he can step up and start at MLB in the nickel but I think asking him to start at WLB is a bit much as a rookie unless they are desperate. Rivers may be a mid-tier FA but those start all the time on other teams. You can't have a pro bowler at every position and Kiko's injury certainly wasn't planned so they didn't expect him to start there, but they did expect Rivers to start on the other side.

That said, I believe LB (other than MLB) is the easiest position on the DB to transition from college to pro and the strength of our DL can elevate our DBs. So if it works out for Brown, good on him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

First moats. Now Rivers. Hopefully we draft a wlb named streams in the near future.

hmm...this is the closest for OLB in next years draft:

Maurice Falls East Carolina OLB 2015 6-2 247 4.67

Isn't Alonzo Spanish for "raging river?"

all ive found for the meaning is "ready for battle" and "Noble and Ready".......nice...Kiko "ready for Battle"

Edited by Tsaikotic

hmm...this is the closest for OLB in next years draft:

Maurice Falls East Carolina OLB 2015 6-2 247 4.67

all ive found for the meaning is "ready for battle" and "Noble and Ready".......nice...Kiko "ready for Battle"

Falls isn't bad. Ties in locally I guess. I just want streams so if he ever got a sack they could play "excuse me Egon, you said crossing the streams was bad"

Rivers is terrible, ask any Giants fan. Invisible man on the field. It's like playing defense with 10 players.

Before last year substitute "Hughes" for "Rivers" and "Colts" for "Giants" and we all know how that turned out.

There's certainly no guarantee, but there are lots of stories about players who find themselves after a change of scenery. Guys with first round talent are worth kicking the tires on.

I know he is undersized for every down DE but I want Hughes on the field as much as possible if for nothing else to see if he can be an every down player and for the Bills to decide if they should resign him otherwise I don't see him returning in a situational role next year.

This is a big year for Hughes. If he can show that he can be more than a situational pass rusher, his contract demands will skyrocket.

Hopefully, he will want to stay here.

I actually don't remember Lawson being anything but impressive vs. the run, but I'm sure had a couple hiccups, as anyone would. My lasting memory of him this last year was him being very strong on the edges, shedding blockers and snuffing out outside runs and RB screens to the flat.

I hope this is the case. Lawson is far better as an LB and is great against the run. He will not have the same impact as a DE.

Agree entirely, gentlemen. Lawson was a force more often than not against the run. Him and Mario kept a very stingy corner.

GO BILLS!!!

Weren't the starting linebackers Alonso, Spikes and Rivers, to begin with? Who is the other LB if Rivers is "next man up?"

And, again...Preston Brown is the last LB I want starting on the outside. He is a tank and not that fast/athletic.

I will still stand on my prediction that Bradham takes whatever spot he is given a chance to take, and has a breakout season.

I'm unsure about anyone we have right now. How about FA, there seems to be little talk about bringing in someone else.

There is nobody out there, and whomever is out there...31 other teams don't want them either.

Weren't the starting linebackers Alonso, Spikes and Rivers, to begin with? Who is the other LB if Rivers is "next man up?"

And, again...Preston Brown is the last LB I want starting on the outside. He is a tank and not that fast/athletic.

I will still stand on my prediction that Bradham takes whatever spot he is given a chance to take, and has a breakout season.

yes, rivers was already projected to be a starter, but at SAM. So Bradham would actually start in his spot.

yes, rivers was already projected to be a starter, but at SAM. So Bradham would actually start in his spot.

why not put Lawson back there and give him more time on the field now w/o having to split w/ Hughes @ DE? I thought he had a good year, big runs we gave up didnt seem to be to his side. And then work the rookies Brown and Johnson in rotation

why not put Lawson back there and give him more time on the field now w/o having to split w/ Hughes @ DE? I thought he had a good year, big runs we gave up didnt seem to be to his side. And then work the rookies Brown and Johnson in rotation

Sounds good to me. LB is Lawson's natural position, why not have him play there?

My question with Preston Brown's size ( 250 lbs. ), can he handle the Wil? Usually in that role you have to be fast and can cover players well. Rivers was not terrible, but the Giants defense was horrible.

I don't know which of the three makes the most sense as Kiko was perfect for that spot. Now if we play Brown on the first two downs, with Lawson at the Sam, that would be some serious beef at the second level to stop the run. Rivers might be your 3rd down LB when we pin them back. The other option is we go to nickel and dime packages. We do have a good secondary now with McKelvin, Gilmore, Robey, and now Graham added to A. Williams, and whoever gets the nod at free safety.

I now have confidence we can cover the pass well, but with this increased size, can we shut down teams on the run. Man, that would be fun to stuff over and over the Patriots, and Jets.

Brown looks like he can step up and start at MLB in the nickel but I think asking him to start at WLB is a bit much as a rookie unless they are desperate. Rivers may be a mid-tier FA but those start all the time on other teams. You can't have a pro bowler at every position and Kiko's injury certainly wasn't planned so they didn't expect him to start there, but they did expect Rivers to start on the other side.

That said, I believe LB (other than MLB) is the easiest position on the DB to transition from college to pro and the strength of our DL can elevate our DBs. So if it works out for Brown, good on him.

Did you know Kiko was going to be able to step up, make all the calls and lead the defense as a rookie last year? No.... no one did. We hoped but we didn't know. I say let Brown start and develop like Kiko did