I would like to see a rehabilitation/maturity program put into place

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

survival of the fittest. fail to adapt, yer out... opportunity for another organism...

ahhh, science

It a valid counter argument .

Both Tipster and you herd it hear last each have commendable posts here.

Why should the NFL be responsible for taking care of anyone?

My job doesn't take care of me. They aren't responsible for me. As long as I don't bring it to work they do not care if I come home then smoke some crack, smack around my woman, drive to the Applebees drunk, then pick up an underage asian tranny hooker to hit my nads with a whiffle ball bat whilst covering myself in money then finish the night off with a nice evening Klan telethon.

I'll take this one on.

First off, a lot of jobs do have drug testing and "conduct detrimental" clauses. If I never see blue water in a toilet with a shut off sink again it will be too soon. Is that a problem? Not in my view. It was spelled out in clear language when I signed my contract.

Second: You aren't in the entertainment business, Cow-man. Your image is important to no one but you and gugny. Like it or not, pro sports is entertainment all the way. And entertainers typically do face consequences for behavior seen as reprehensible - straight from the days of the first movies - either from movie studios/directors, concert promoters, or indirectly from fans. Sports is no different. It is what it is and that's what it is. But everyone else, the fame and the $$ typically build up gradually. Football and basketball are two of the only entertainment options where young kids who are coddled and swaddled all through HS and college but have little to no cash, suddenly get handed a mid to high 6 figure salary and a checkbook.

Third, were you planning to post a youtube clip of that last?

So then what happens to the thousands of kids that don't make it to the nfl? No education, no future

They can get an education the way the rest of us do. Work, get loans, pursue inexpensive options like community college for 2 years, earn scholarships, and freakin' value what you study because by jinks you earned it.

What happens to the hundreds of thousands of kids who go through HS dreaming that a Big Sports scholarship to a Div I school is their ticket to the good life, and don't get a nibble as recruits? Or the ones who bomb out of those programs? Or the ones who go undrafted, or get cut before their 1st season? Think they have enough education to make them successful?

That was going to be my response to Tom's comment also . Going to college aint free

And my point is - going to college is an illusion for many of these football and basketball players. Not all, not all - but many of the big-time-sport athletes at Div I schools simply don't have the academic background and time management skills to succeed at college, even if going to college were their full-time job.

Instead, their full time job is training, meetings, film, and practice for their team, pretty much year round - surveys have found, more than 40 hrs a week. But the schools want the best players to stay in school and field the best team, so they get coddled and swaddled and nurtured along with special courses and majors and tutors.

IMHO (and no salesman will call) it's a lose-lose situation. There are fewer scholarships available for genuinely bright and college-ready non-athletes or lesser athletes who could actually take great advantage of the opportunity for a free education. And at the same time, talented wanna-be-pro basketball and football players have no alternative but to "play the system" and go to college (or pretend to go to college) if they want to be considered as pro athletes. Meanwhile the schools rake in big bucks from these sports and bright kids go to community college and wait tables or whatever to pay their way.

Baseball makes much more sense. Kids with baseball dreams can be drafted and go through the minor leagues if they aren't equipped for or interested in college. Kids with baseball dreams and interest in college can get scholarships and go that route. The ones who go to college, are generally equipped to go to college. If they aren't, they enter the draft and go to the minors.

survival of the fittest. fail to adapt, yer out... opportunity for another organism...

ahhh, science

You do realize that "survival of the fittest" in its correct scientific meaning, means Travis Henry and his ilk are in fact the fittest?

And my point is - going to college is an illusion for many of these football and basketball players. Not all, not all - but many of the big-time-sport athletes at Div I schools simply don't have the academic background and time management skills to succeed at college, even if going to college were their full-time job.

Instead, their full time job is training, meetings, film, and practice for their team, pretty much year round - surveys have found, more than 40 hrs a week. But the schools want the best players to stay in school and field the best team, so they get coddled and swaddled and nurtured along with special courses and majors and tutors.

IMHO (and no salesman will call) it's a lose-lose situation. There are fewer scholarships available for genuinely bright and college-ready non-athletes or lesser athletes who could actually take great advantage of the opportunity for a free education. And at the same time, talented wanna-be-pro basketball and football players have no alternative but to "play the system" and go to college (or pretend to go to college) if they want to be considered as pro athletes. Meanwhile the schools rake in big bucks from these sports and bright kids go to community college and wait tables or whatever to pay their way.

Baseball makes much more sense. Kids with baseball dreams can be drafted and go through the minor leagues if they aren't equipped for or interested in college. Kids with baseball dreams and interest in college can get scholarships and go that route. The ones who go to college, are generally equipped to go to college. If they aren't, they enter the draft and go to the minors.

You do realize that "survival of the fittest" in its correct scientific meaning, means Travis Henry and his ilk are in fact the fittest?

Much more sensible and humane pathway hopeful !

I have been reading this read with great interest , while having no knowledege of the processes for athletes .

Thanks guys for the education. Honestly