I would like to see a rehabilitation/maturity program put into place

I'm sure that there is some outreach programs that are in placed at this time but I'm speaking about a program where players could enroll and have a multitude of rehabilitation programs intact. Things like a weekly physical program that would mirror a training camp, keeping them in peak physical condition. I believe that this would help keep their head into the game as well, keeping them focused on the task at hand. Also having outreach programs in addition where they would take mental and psychological classes that would help aide them into adjusting to this lifestyle that they find themselves in at such an early age. Educating them in financing/money management etc etc. The NFL could even provide recommended financial planners that are reputable and eliminate these kids from having to find and deal with unsavory scam artists. Basically I would like to see the NFL take a bigger responsibility in helping these young people deal with life, not just football. Now with that being said I'm quite sure that the NFL does have things, programs, classes and such in place but I'm talking about having an actual facility constructed, like the Combine, where these players would actually check in and be residents, a rehab clinic for football players. This would not only increase the percentage of success for these young players of not only getting back into the game after their suspensions are lifted but also help them mature and be more educated in dealing with life on and off the gridiron.

Edited by Tipster19

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um.

I don't think it's needed. These kids are coddled enough. It's not up to the NFL to make a man of them. If you want to see the NFL do the right thing, they take these idiots and punks and keep them out of the league. Make it a requirement to finish your Junior Academic year, maybe even with a GPA over 2.4.

These folks go through High School successfully where they should have learned a thing or two. They attend at least two years of college - most of them at quite distinguished schools (The Ohio State Univ., Auburn, Virginia Tech, UCLA, Penn State, Michigan, Florida, etc).

There is nothing that the NFL owes the players that it is not already giving them. In fact, I think it is giving them too much, but that is neither here nor there to your premise.

If you still do not agree: Why do other college graduates find success in their respective fields and lives while in debt and making significantly less then an NFL players minimum salary.

i think players should be able to skip college altogether. set up a developmental, or transitional league for 18-22 year olds that feeds the nfl machine. kids get paid, and don't have to go through the pretenses of "getting an education". leave scholarships for those that are truly students and let athletes get paid for what they are doing. and more directly to your point, put behavioral clauses into all the player contracts so that if a player embarrasses his team they can let him go with no financial penalty. and yes, establish a system of rehab/counseling that would be readily available for those that want it.

Um.

I don't think it's needed. These kids are coddled enough. It's not up to the NFL to make a man of them. If you want to see the NFL do the right thing, they take these idiots and punks and keep them out of the league. Make it a requirement to finish your Junior Academic year, maybe even with a GPA over 2.4.

These folks go through High School successfully where they should have learned a thing or two. They attend at least two years of college - most of them at quite distinguished schools (The Ohio State Univ., Auburn, Virginia Tech, UCLA, Penn State, Michigan, Florida, etc).

There is nothing that the NFL owes the players that it is not already giving them. In fact, I think it is giving them too much, but that is neither here nor there to your premise.

If you still do not agree: Why do other college graduates find success in their respective fields and lives while in debt and making significantly less then an NFL players minimum salary.

Because of one of my favorite saying "unlike these NFL players, other college grads know the value of a dollar"

Which is pretty much the problem. If these guys are bankrupt 2 years out of the league then sucks to be them. If they don't know how to be responsible with the money when they have it they deserve to be bankrupt and foreclosed on.

Edited by The Wiz

This is needed big time...

Wait are you talking about for the players or for posters???

We have it for posters. But they're more like guidelines instead of rules. Though I think the minimum post limit should be enforce for thread creation.

I'm sure that there is some outreach programs that are in placed at this time but I'm speaking about a program where players could enroll and have a multitude of rehabilitation programs intact. Things like a weekly physical program that would mirror a training camp, keeping them in peak physical condition. I believe that this would help keep their head into the game as well, keeping them focused on the task at hand. Also having outreach programs in addition where they would take mental and psychological classes that would help aide them into adjusting to this lifestyle that they find themselves in at such an early age. Educating them in financing/money management etc etc. The NFL could even provide recommended financial planners that are reputable and eliminate these kids from having to find and deal with unsavory scam artists. Basically I would like to see the NFL take a bigger responsibility in helping these young people deal with life, not just football. Now with that being said I'm quite sure that the NFL does have things, programs, classes and such in place but I'm talking about having an actual facility constructed, like the Combine, where these players would actually check in and be residents, a rehab clinic for football players. This would not only increase the percentage of success for these young players of not only getting back into the game after their suspensions are lifted but also help them mature and be more educated in dealing with life on and off the gridiron.

I would like to see a minor league football program.

One of my colleagues at work had a son drafted by the Giants (baseball) after college. A lot of the kids drafted were in HS. The lowest level minor league programs (short season A, long season A) sound like are designed to continue a kid's education and help them grow up, from what he describes - the lowest levels, where kids don't get paid crap, the teams arrange for them to live with host families, borrow a car, it's like an extension of living at home. As the level goes up, the pay and the responsibilities go up gradually. By the time the kids are making enough money to live on in AAA ball, they know something about managing their lives.

Instead we have this phony pretense in the NFL that the kids are student athletes but can't be compensated in any way or *shock*horror*scandal* but because actual college is beyond the academic and time management skills of all but a few football players, they get heavily coddled to bring them along and keep them in a program, until they are thrown into the ocean of life as pro's, going from 0 to 6 figure salaries in months. I don't think the cure is to try to throw on extra bandaids, which could not be mandated and rightly so.

I think the whole system is broken and should be changed to admit that colleges make huge $$$ on young football athletes and the athletes should be compensated, but also expected to pick up responsibilities.

Thanks, you being up some interesting points. Like it or not athletes are treated differently right from grammar and/or high school than the majority of the students. This. "Preferred" treatment is setting them back even further from an academic stand point and especially from a maturity/ responsibility aspect. They for the most part didn't have to be accountable much off of the field. I agree wholeheartedly that the system is severely flawed and on top of that it's dealing with VERY young people, many being immature even, and expecting them to be making the right decisions as they make them millionaires. Many of these athletes come from depressed backgrounds, from being poverty stricken and broken households. Many have very undesirable family structure, in a lot of cases it's the criminal element, drug dealers, pimps, gangs etc etc, in their neighborhoods that they look up to as their role models as they are already lacking a strong father figure who can help guide them through life.

I 'm not justifying acts of many of these "athletes gone bad" are doing, just trying to understand better and find better solutions for this "sports factory" that is called the NFL. Many of these kids are nowheres near prepared for the radical changes that they are experiencing once they become professional athletes. It's actually kind of pathetic that this segment of athletes are so ill prepared for life, especially after their careers conclude. What is even worse is if they end up penniless.

I was originally suggesting a post offense clinic but I like your points about dealing with these young baseball players BEFORE they find themselves in trouble. If Goodell really wants to leave a legacy then he should take bolder steps towards improving these athletes OFF of the field. A facility that is more like a university type campus with athletic and educational classes with reputable financial planners would be a great service for these young athletes as all this would help mature them in the process.

i think players should be able to skip college altogether. set up a developmental, or transitional league for 18-22 year olds that feeds the nfl machine. kids get paid, and don't have to go through the pretenses of "getting an education". leave scholarships for those that are truly students and let athletes get paid for what they are doing. and more directly to your point, put behavioral clauses into all the player contracts so that if a player embarrasses his team they can let him go with no financial penalty. and yes, establish a system of rehab/counseling that would be readily available for those that want it.

You has been tinking about dis haven't you ?

Thats some food for thought .

Who would be responsible for the rehab counseling costs ?

One of my colleagues at work had a son drafted by the Giants (baseball) after college. A lot of the kids drafted were in HS. The lowest level minor league programs (short season A, long season A) sound like are designed to continue a kid's education and help them grow up, from what he describes - the lowest levels, where kids don't get paid crap, the teams arrange for them to live with host families, borrow a car, it's like an extension of living at home. As the level goes up, the pay and the responsibilities go up gradually. By the time the kids are making enough money to live on in AAA ball, they know something about managing their lives.

Instead we have this phony pretense in the NFL that the kids are student athletes but can't be compensated in any way or *shock*horror*scandal* but because actual college is beyond the academic and time management skills of all but a few football players, they get heavily coddled to bring them along and keep them in a program, until they are thrown into the ocean of life as pro's, going from 0 to 6 figure salaries in months. I don't think the cure is to try to throw on extra bandaids, which could not be mandated and rightly so.

I think the whole system is broken and should be changed to admit that colleges make huge $$$ on young football athletes and the athletes should be compensated, but also expected to pick up responsibilities.

Another very thoughtful and thought provoking post .

Your last sentence really caught my eye though !

oops!

i dont know how i did that nor how to fix it. the double troubled Hopeful post .

Edited by 3rdand12

You has been tinking about dis haven't you ?

Thats some food for thought .

Who would be responsible for the rehab counseling costs ?

Another very thoughtful and thought provoking post .

Your last sentence really caught my eye though !

oops!

i dont know how i did that nor how to fix it. the double troubled Hopeful post .

why...the nfl, of course. in a developmental league they would be paying the players and also (hopefully) taking care of them. i would actually like to see a system of minor league teams, each with a professional parent team. effectively replicating the nhl/ahl relationship. they could gain additional revenue by paying these players and nfl clubs could benefit by sending some players down to the minors, and calling them up when they are ready. i realize that this opens up a whole new can of worms, but i think it could be a good thing.

Why should the NFL be responsible for taking care of anyone?

My job doesn't take care of me. They aren't responsible for me. As long as I don't bring it to work they do not care if I come home then smoke some crack, smack around my woman, drive to the Applebees drunk, then pick up an underage asian tranny hooker to hit my nads with a whiffle ball bat whilst covering myself in money then finish the night off with a nice evening Klan telethon.

why...the nfl, of course. in a developmental league they would be paying the players and also (hopefully) taking care of them. i would actually like to see a system of minor league teams, each with a professional parent team. effectively replicating the nhl/ahl relationship. they could gain additional revenue by paying these players and nfl clubs could benefit by sending some players down to the minors, and calling them up when they are ready. i realize that this opens up a whole new can of worms, but i think it could be a good thing.

I do lke the idea of a minor league too . But we do have the Practice Squads to retain and develop players

I do lke the idea of a minor league too . But we do have the Practice Squads to retain and develop players

true, but i love the idea of creating a lot more jobs and creating more opportunities for people to play the game of football in a professional manner.

The NFL already does a ton for players in clinics, consultants on finance, domestic violence, substance abuse, etc.

The bottom line is people are responsible for themselves. If they break the policies on substance abuse, the only thing that should be in the CBA is the ability after a third or fourth offense when they get to 4 games suspensions, or the year long suspension, to be mandated rehab before their return. The courts do it all the time with court ordered rehab. The success rates are lower for those not electing to do it, but it's still one last step before you say goodbye to the player.

As far as finances, they know from their lectures, not to blow their money and the avg NFL player last 3.6 years. if they want to piss it away before the second / big contract, then they are just not listening to people guiding them.

Why continue to coddle them? If they want to blow their lives, that's on them. That's what I teach my three children. Think for yourself, and think about the implications of your decisions. The wise man learns from others mistakes. The butthead learns only from his own repeated mistakes. There are tons of stories of people getting out of disadvantaged areas surrounded by thugs, who can make the right choices. I've managed a couple of guys who made it out of these areas, we're helped with affirmative action, took advantage FO their college career, and built there resumes up to succeed in business at a high level and have a multiple 6 figure income.

At the end of the day it's a choice.

A developmental league might be nice but what I'm insinuating is more of an educational/training type facility that would provide rehab services for players who are struggling to stay within the lines and for the ones trying to find their way back from league suspensions. The whole Josh Gordon ordeal is what prompted this concept. When I heard that LB D'Qwell Jackson appealing, stating that if Gordon is to stay away from football during his suspension then Jackson is concerned that Gordon will only spiral further down the tubes. I was proposing an concept that could possibly help these troubled athletes.

A developmental league might be nice but what I'm insinuating is more of an educational/training type facility that would provide rehab services for players who are struggling to stay within the lines and for the ones trying to find their way back from league suspensions. The whole Josh Gordon ordeal is what prompted this concept. When I heard that LB D'Qwell Jackson appealing, stating that if Gordon is to stay away from football during his suspension then Jackson is concerned that Gordon will only spiral further down the tubes. I was proposing an concept that could possibly help these troubled athletes.

My only gripe with your concept is this.

Everyone should have this opportunity . Not just athletes with and NFL connection.

Don't mean to seem rude tipster since you are speaking from the heart and its a humane way of thinking you present

Edited by 3rdand12

My only gripe with your concept is this.

Everyone should have this opportunity . Not just athletes with and NFL connection.

Don't mean to seem rude tipster since you are speaking from the heart and its a humane way of thinking you present

No offense taken. I'm not condoning special treatment for athletes but it's not only the reality of it but more so the root of the problem. Sports/athletics/entertainment is big business and it's not going away. What has to be resolved is that there is too much of a percentage of players who are having trouble behaving in society, family structure and financial planning. The special treatment of these athletes is never going away but with that being said the above the law treatment should not be tolerated and needs to be eliminated. A logical solution to me would be to aide these players so they be better apt to deal with the lifestyle that they suddenly find themselves thrust into at such a young age once they turn professional. The majority of society cannot comprehend, and most don't care to, understand what faces these young people, especially that they are so unprepared to deal with it all. Something has to be done with this situation because it is only getting worse, not better.

We have it for posters. But they're more like guidelines instead of rules. Though I think the minimum post limit should be enforce for thread creation.

Careful what you say. I got 1 dimerit for joking around about that once.