EJ dependent on Watkins or Watkins dependent on EJ?

boyst

We like Polls. Polls are fun. Mrags should always stay.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which is MORE true:

• In order for EJ Manuel to have a successful season Sammy Watkins must have a successful season.
    • In order for Sammy Watkins to have a successful season EJ Manuel must have a successful season.
    • The are codependent and must both be successful before either will successful.

You're talking about his junior year when he got a 10 yard cushion because he had already proved in his freshman year that he can't be pressed and will roast DBs anywhere down the field.

His freshman year highlights are a better indication of his all around skill set than the 2013 bubble screen highlights that seem so ubiquitous now.

I agree it's unlikely that he'll make a living off those types of plays right off the bat, but Julio, AJ Green, and Megatron all catch most of their balls near the the line of scrimmage. Why? They get the same cushion that Sammy got last year. If they give you 5-7 yards each time because they're scared of getting burned downfield- you take it every time.

Once Sammy proves he can take the top off of an NFL defense, he'll get back to catching those short throws we saw so much of at Clemson last year.

NFL OLB's are a lot faster then NCAA OLB's.

NFL OLB's are a lot faster then NCAA OLB's.

Why doesnt that apply to WR's ?

Sammy is an NFL wide receiver .

and no they aren't . They are just the cream of the college crop and hopefully drafted accordingly.

OLBs dont get faster than they were in college. they might get smarter and more efficient with movement .

Neither do Wrs get faster than they were in college .

But the every game day competition in the NFL is totally different. Its the best of the best every game at every position. including coaching. The changeups the adjustments etc are why the rookies will struggle.

Whole new speed . Watkins seems to be doing alright so far and " projects " well still.

Smart kid and obviously hard worker.

I would think EJ is more dependant on his O line than he is on just Sammy.

Why doesnt that apply to WR's ?

Sammy is an NFL wide receiver .

and no they aren't . They are just the cream of the college crop and hopefully drafted accordingly.

OLBs dont get faster than they were in college. they might get smarter and more efficient with movement .

Neither do Wrs get faster than they were in college .

But the every game day competition in the NFL is totally different. Its the best of the best every game at every position. including coaching. The changeups the adjustments etc are why the rookies will struggle.

Whole new speed . Watkins seems to be doing alright so far and " projects " well still.

Smart kid and obviously hard worker.

I would think EJ is more dependant on his O line than he is on just Sammy.

So, back to my question... and this is not just for you, but everyone.

Is Sammy Watkins an NFL WR?

or

Is EJ Manuel an NFL QB?

or

Is EJ Manuel an NFL QB?

That was the question that I was trying to answer. Sammy is certainly more of an NFL talent than EJ. It doesn't mean that they both can't get there but Sammy's game has less holes and question marks. EJ has raw ability but some flaws.

or

Is EJ Manuel an NFL QB?

Yes.

Agree with Kirby, Sammy will be a stud and should be able to overcome EJ's weaknesses.

And wrt the jump from college to the pros; Sammy isn't a one trick pony. He will be able to to adapt to the stiffer competition, IMO.

Jboyst- Not exactly sure what the point is about OLBs. Like Third And Twelve alluded- he's already faster/shiftier/savvier than the best OLBs (and DBs for that matter) in college. It's possible, but I wouldn't expect that all of a sudden Sammy gets to the NFL and everyone else progresses except him. Obviously that's not true for everyone making the transition to the pros, but nothing I've seen from Sammy thus far says "bust."

Basically, Sammy has excelled in every scenario he's encountered so far (including playing with a pedestrian QB), so I expect that excellence to continue. I think EJ will get better (or at least more consistent), and that should be enough for Sammy to shine.

If the point is that EJ could hold Sammy back, well, there might be some merit to that. But I can't imagine EJ playing so poorly so that he'd render Sammy useless.