More trademark stuff Marvel refuses to allow "S" on statue

Beerball

I'd like to know the back story here if anyone has it. Why was the boy in the "care" of his grandparents? Where was the mother? Father?

Anyhoo, the father is taking an adult approach on Marvel's decision to turn down a request for a statue of the boy to have the Superman "S."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/07/superman-logo-barred-from-memorial-statue-starved-toronto-boy/

Beerball, you need to get your comic book distributors correct.

Yeah, what was he doing with his grandparents and not his parents?

Way to go DC. Isn't it enough that you've embarrassed yourselves with all the recent product that you've put out? You have to say "NO" to a statue of a dead 5 year old. Marvel is kicking your butt in the entertainment industry, God knows you could use some positive PR.

If it wasn't for Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, you'd be struggling to get out of the toilet. Then you decided to insult your fans by giving the cape and cowl to Ben Affleck. :sick::wallbash:

Keep it up DC.

Oh I forgot.....But, but, but, FOX News Lies!

Beerball, you need to get your comic book distributors correct.

Yeah, what was he doing with his grandparents and not his parents?

Way to go DC. Isn't it enough that you've embarrassed yourselves with all the recent product that you've put out? You have to say "NO" to a statue of a dead 5 year old. Marvel is kicking your butt in the entertainment industry, God knows you could use some positive PR.

If it wasn't for Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, you'd be struggling to get out of the toilet. Then you decided to insult your fans by giving the cape and cowl to Ben Affleck. :sick::wallbash:

Keep it up DC.

Oh I forgot.....But, but, but, FOX News Lies!

Though the writing/execution has been mediocre, I have found the Arrow series to be very entertaining.....and the new Flash spinoff looks to be of similar ilk(I've seen the pilot). As an unabashed comic book nerd, I will be very content if the DCU is heavily represented on the small screen.....even if their big budget movies are crap.

Though the writing/execution has been mediocre, I have found the Arrow series to be very entertaining.....and the new Flash spinoff looks to be of similar ilk(I've seen the pilot). As an unabashed comic book nerd, I will be very content if the DCU is heavily represented on the small screen.....even if their big budget movies are crap.

As of now, that seems to be their best play.

Arrow is pretty good, but I worry that they're trying too hard to bring in the Batman audience. They threw a few too many random villains out there for single episodes this season. They all seemed to be guys straight out of Batman. Now I don't know a thing about the Green Arrow comics, so maybe there is a lot of overlap there.

Arrow is pretty good, but I worry that they're trying too hard to bring in the Batman audience. They threw a few too many random villains out there for single episodes this season. They all seemed to be guys straight out of Batman. Now I don't know a thing about the Green Arrow comics, so maybe there is a lot of overlap there.

I can see how you have gotten that impression. I think they have taken inspiration from the Nolan Batman movies in the modernization and feel of the villains. Blood is a good example. In Arrow he comes across visually very similar to the scarecrow in the BM movies.....scary mask etc. In the comics he was Brother Blood and was totally different to the TV version.

There has however only been one Bat-verse character in the show(that I can think of).......and that is the Huntress. Most of the villains that have appeared have been a staple part of the generic DCU rogues gallery, rarely(if ever) encountering Batman. Merlyn and (Count)Vertigo are GA villains of long standing.....and characters such as Shado, Roy Harper & Black Canary(Lance) have also been important players in the Green Arrow comics mythos.

The new Flash show looks to be interesting in that the Flash has a rogues gallery that is second only to Batman's(in the DCU)....so plenty of interesting villains for him to go up against.

As a side note, I am a huge fan of the Green Arrow comic. I have been collecting it for nearly 30 years. Though I would like the Arrow TV show to have better writing, I am extremely happy that my favourite DC character has his own series that is IMO pretty good......and generally perceived as pretty good. It's a good era to be a nerd. :D

Edited by Dibs

I can see how you have gotten that impression. I think they have taken inspiration from the Nolan Batman movies in the modernization and feel of the villains. Blood is a good example. In Arrow he comes across visually very similar to the scarecrow in the BM movies.....scary mask etc. In the comics he was Brother Blood and was totally different to the TV version.

There has however only been one Bat-verse character in the show(that I can think of).......and that is the Huntress. Most of the villains that have appeared have been a staple part of the generic DCU rogues gallery, rarely(if ever) encountering Batman. Merlyn and (Count)Vertigo are GA villains of long standing.....and characters such as Shado, Roy Harper & Black Canary(Lance) have also been important players in the Green Arrow comics mythos.

They've had all of the following who have been used heavily in Batman stories:

-Deathstroke

-Deadshot

-Solomon Grundy

-The Suicide Squad

-Harley Quinn (not show but they threw her in as an easter egg in the Suicide Squad episode)

-Ra's al Ghul's league of assassins

I'm sure there has been a lot of crossover in the books with most of these characters, but they've definitely used their fair share of people I'm familiar with through Batman.

They've had all of the following who have been used heavily in Batman stories:

-Deathstroke

-Deadshot

-Solomon Grundy

-The Suicide Squad

-Harley Quinn (not show but they threw her in as an easter egg in the Suicide Squad episode)

-Ra's al Ghul's league of assassins

I'm sure there has been a lot of crossover in the books with most of these characters, but they've definitely used their fair share of people I'm familiar with through Batman.

I feel silly forgetting about the League of Assassins as it was a major part of season 2. The rest are not really specifically Batman related. Though Deadshot was originally a Batman character, he has progressed over the last 60 years to be more of a generic DCU character typically associated with the Suicide Squad(which has become an entity in its own right over the last 30+ years).

Deathstroke(again developed into his own entity) was originally linked to the Teen Titans(which had links to Batman via Nightwing/Robin, but also to Green Arrow via Arsenal/Roy Harper)......but was never a Bat-verse title.

Grundy is another generic DCU villain having appeared in pretty much every book. Batman, Superman, Justice League, Swamp Thing.....and Green Arrow, etc.

I didn't notice the Harley Quinn reference......I'll have to rewatch the episode. :thumbsup:

Edit: Being used heavily in a story arc does not constitute being a part of the Batman's core characters. The Joker has been used heavily in some Superman stories but this does not make him a "Superman Villain". Apart from Huntress and Ra's/assassins, all of the other villains used are either generic DCU characters(who pop into whichever title a writer wants them in) or are GA villains.

Edited by Dibs

I didn't notice the Harley Quinn reference......I'll have to rewatch the episode. :thumbsup:

It was really quick. They never showed her, but she did get to say one line from inside a prison cell.