Anyone have any books suggestions?

Dr. Fong

I finally have some time to do some reading as I will have a three week vacation and two 24 hour flights to fill. I'm looking for pure escapism. Not really interested in anything non fiction. I like sci-fi, horror, and fantasy that doesn't suck (which unfortunately is too much of it).

The Passage by Justin Cronin. If you like it, the second book is The Twelve. Perfect sci-fi books. A clever new spin to vampire stories. The third book should be coming out late this year.

I know it's old but if you have never read The Stand by Stephen King it is one of my favorites, make sure it is the uncut version.

Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) as mentioned earlier is probably the pinnacle of fantasy right now but if you've done that Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind is also very good.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is an easy read and a good book.

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

The Hell's Angels, Rum Diary, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson

I would highly recommend the Dresden files by Jim Butcher. It is Urban Fantasy, well written, funny, and some great characters. i read alot, most of what everyone has suggested is good, but Dresden is better.

I'm surprised at how many of the recommendations so far are ones that I would recommend.

The Stand, Game of Thrones, Terry Pratchett's discworld books(There are 39 of these......some are order dependent).

I will add.....

Anne Rice: Vampire Chronicles, Witching Hour

Issac Asimov: Foundation Trilogy, Elijah Baley books, I Robot(Complete Robot for additional robot stories).....anything by Asimov really.

Stephen King: IT, Dark Tower series(If you think you'd like Surreal Spaghetti Western Sci-Fi......and enjoy King's writing style)

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time series

Frank Herbert: Dune(Just stick to the first book IMO).

Raymond Feist: Magician(One of the best fantasy books ever written......the follow on books slowly degenerate into pulp though).

Margaret Weis/Tracey Hickman: Dragonlance books(A much lighter read but very entertaining)

Edit:

Also, if you are open to graphic story telling(Graphic Novels.....better known as comic books).....

Neil Gaiman: Sandman(Gothic Fantasy Horror.......first GN is called Preludes & Nocturnes.....magnificent storytelling with fantastic artwork too).

J O'Barr: The Crow(Pure poetry of pain.......yes, the 1994 movie was based on this book).

John Constantine: Hellblazer(Supernatural horror by various writers.....I would recommend Dangerous Habits GN or Hard Time GN. Don't be put off by the horrible Keanu Reeves movie.....and look for the new Constantine TV series coming soon, it looks to have captured the feel and character very well).

Edited by Dibs

W.E.B Griffin - Presidential Agent Series

Clive Cussler - Anything Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin

Dale Brown - Flight of Old Dog and follow Patrick McLanahan throughout

If you like Tolkien and GRRM, try R. A. Salvatore The Legend of Drizzt

Horns & Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) - Horns is a great fantasy/allegory/horror, HSB is mostly horror/action. Both excellent. His last novel is N024RTU - to me it was OK, while other love it. Always interesting.

The Martian - Andy Weir (techno "thriller", well written, good humor). Ridley Scott may direct Matt Damon (not sure if that's a positive or negative for you)

The "Wool" or "Silo" series by Hugh Howey - Excellent sci-fi trilogy. Outstanding writing and imaginative. Series launched many other stories. I will read his book "Sand" next.

"Wayward" "Pines" series by Blake Crouch - Mystery/Sci-Fi. A Treasury agent winds up in a remote town to locate a fellow agent. Town is very mysterious and odd things happen. The third in a trilogy out this month. Easy to read but full of layers upon layers.

Dune - of course.

Altered Carbon - Sci-fi, detective story. Well done, good writing.

Finch by Jeff VanderMeer - Sci-fi, detective story that is too hard to explain. If you want something different, with a good mystery, this underrated book could keep you reading for hours.