I saw a man who danced with his knife

In Chicago, Chicago my hometown

Chicago, Chicago

That murderin' town

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regressing towards the mean... 3.5 of course.

Why wasn't anybody posting in February? The month of February this year, in Chicago saw the lowest murder rate since 1957. It was also 21 degrees below zero. I guess crime in Chicago likes warm weather.

I also noticed we are way down in traffic deaths for the state of Illinois. They post it on signs on the expressway. For the whole year in 2013 the state was over 1,000... So far Illinois has just over 400. Maybe the state will make up ground by 12/31! :-O

Y'all keep the PPP crap on PPP.

Personally I've had enough of the BS "but I was only responding to so&so". You know the rules, use them. One idiot bringing gun control into the conversation doesn't mean that 6 other idiots get to chime in too. Cleaning up your messes takes time so knock it off. :censored:

Rather than diving into the gutter why don't you critique my lyrics. I'm quite proud of them.

[/rant]

Holiday weekend 82 shootings, 14 murders

Chicago, Chicago

I wonder

That murderin' town

How many shootings

Chicago, Chicago

There would be

I'll shiv you around

If there were

I love it

No guns

Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose your life

In the world

In Chicago, Chicago

The town that really Sunday couldn't shut down

On State Street that great street I just want to say

They do things they don't do on Broadway

They have a crime, the crime of their life

I saw a man who danced with his knife

In Chicago, Chicago my hometown

Chicago, Chicago

That murderin' town

Those lyrics are deep, man.

MS13 and the Latin kings are reeking havoc in that city. I know...I watch Gangland.

Seriously tho....I recently watched an episode of that show which highlighted that MS13 gang. Man they are horrifying! I understand that they have a large "fan base" in Chicago.

the Lating Kings and MS13 are no joke.

That city should seriously consider calling in the National Guard for some assistance.

At best this temporarily treats symptoms and not root causes.

Chicago has deeply anchored poverty and race relations issues. Also, while the core or loop of Chicago has been an economic machine and on the surface is the most livable urban area in America it is an island surrounded by joblessness and decay. Studies have shown that Chicago core's gain has been the first ring of burbs losses. Poverty and gang battles have moved out into this ring in much the same way.

Just a mike or two west and south of the Willis tower is one of the most violent and desperately poor areas in the U.S.

At best this temporarily treats symptoms and not root causes.

Chicago has deeply anchored poverty and race relations issues. Also, while the core or loop of Chicago has been an economic machine and on the surface is the most livable urban area in America it is an island surrounded by joblessness and decay. Studies have shown that Chicago core's gain has been the first ring of burbs losses. Poverty and gang battles have moved out into this ring in much the same way.

Just a mike or two west and south of the Willis tower is one of the most violent and desperately poor areas in the U.S.

Perhaps, but you have to start somewhere.

Everyone who pays attention knows what you described is all true, but I didn't see you offer any potential solution.

To me, it starts in the schools and in the home. Unfortunately, the schools are some of, if not the worst in the country. In the home? Well, that may be even worse. Kids with ill equipped parent(s) (probably directly attributable to their own upbringing and schooling) will grow up undisciplined, unmotivated, uneducated, and immoral. They will predictably fall into the patters of the majority of their peers and what they see going on every day right outside their doors. Gang life.

Perhaps, just perhaps if you could curtail the violence, reduce the visibility of these gangs on the streets, make some meaningful crackdowns you could start the process of alleviating the core issues causing it. But until then, the cause may just be hopeless. IMO.

Edited by Mark80

As an employee of Chicago's City Council, I feel obligated to jump in here.

It aint gangs. It's hyperconcentrated economic and racial segregation. Chicago is a nice city with REALLY bad pockets, one of them is about a quarter mile from my home. The guy who was shot there last weekend was up visiting from the city's south west corner (I live five blocks north of Wrigley).

Also, we always have a spike in gun violence the first weekend of the month because it's those Fridays when the unmarked cargo vans with the Alabama plates park in the middle of the streets, open up their back doors and let any passerby help himself to crates upon crates filled with weapons.

The problem would be a lot easier to manage if these idiots were shooting each other over something tangible like gang turf or drug corners. Nope. They're just shooting each other (thankfully they're horrible marksman).

And let's not pretend like the problem is having a significant impact on innocents, either. A lot of these guys (black, ages 18-22) have no idea who shot them or why.

Yeah...right.

We've had shootings in our ward this year, some of them fatal. One was because some girls were beefing on facebook. At least two others were drug deals gone bad.

Fortunately, we've actually been able to prevent some shootings...because the numbskulls take to Twitter BEFORE they go light up their homey, and we can figure out where they're going to be and when.

Anyways, it's crazy, but you have to believe me when I say it's not as crazy as it looks on paper (hard to believe though that may be).

Edited by The Big Cat

the Lating Kings and MS13 are no joke.

I can make a joke of that. what do you call 1,000 Latin Kings or 1,000 MS13 members at the bottom of the ocean? A good start.

They're scum, they're nothing, they're below nothing - they are just flat out worthless.

It aint gangs. It's hyperconcentrated economic and racial segregation. Chicago is a nice city with REALLY bad pockets, one of them is about a quarter mile from my home. The guy who was shot there last weekend was up visiting from the city's south west corner (I live five blocks north of Wrigley).

Also, we always have a spike in gun violence the first weekend of the month because it's those Fridays when the unmarked cargo vans with the Alabama plates park in the middle of the streets, open up their back doors and let any passerby help himself to crates upon crates filled with weapons.

The problem would be a lot easier to manage if these idiots were shooting each other over something tangible like gang turf or drug corners. Nope. They're just shooting each other (thankfully they're horrible marksman).

And let's not pretend like the problem is having a significant impact on innocents, either. A lot of these guys (black, ages 18-22) have no idea who shot them or why.

Yeah...right.

We've had shootings in our ward this year, some of them fatal. One was because some girls were beefing on facebook. At least two others were drug deals gone bad.

Fortunately, we've actually been able to prevent some shootings...because the numbskulls take to Twitter BEFORE they go light up their homey, and we can figure out where they're going to be and when.

Anyways, it's crazy, but you have to believe me when I say it's not as crazy as it looks on paper (hard to believe though that may be).

It is getting big news but it does every July 4th weekend. As long as most of this violence is hoodrat on hoodrat, and punk on punk it will remain a non-issue. Nothing will happen and no one really care.

Once in a while these savages strike out and get one of the innocent outsiders and it is made to be a big deal. Sadly, though, no one really cares about the ones who were brought up in it. Beerball can say politics should not enter this discussion, and he's right, it shouldn't have to. But, there is a reason we know Trayvon Martin's name and not Hadiya Pendleton.

This nation is too focused on the stupid and the ridiculous to pay attention to the important and relevant. We care more about Kim Kardashians latest selfie and what Jimmy Fallon did last night then we do about who is elected to our local school board or what our kids are eating for lunch at school.

Gun control is a popular headline grabber, but nothing is getting done on that front. Perhaps we need to look at a new approach, because this **** we have going on now, well, it ain't working.

Just gotta know where to go, where not to go. What I love about the South Chicagoland/Northwest Indiana is it is like what Buffalo/WNY offers with housing prices. There are so many nice areas, but real close to dirt poor areas. Where I live in the far south of Chicagoland you can go from rich homes, lots of land to dirt poor shacks within a few miles. I guess there is something for everybody. Heck, I live on the far south end of my town, go a few blocks into unincorporated areas and there are one room shacks... Straight outta Tobacco Road. The diacotomy is spectacular. Housing prices are very reasonable in this area.... I have seen fixer uppers selling for 30k in rural locations. 30K? You gotta be kidding me. South of Chicago and beyond into the country is very reasonable. Move just minutes across the border into Indiana and dodge the Illinois taxes while living off the Illinois/Chicago infrastructure/economy.

I can make a joke of that. what do you call 1,000 Latin Kings or 1,000 MS13 members at the bottom of the ocean? A good start.

They're scum, they're nothing, they're below nothing - they are just flat out worthless.

It is getting big news but it does every July 4th weekend. As long as most of this violence is hoodrat on hoodrat, and punk on punk it will remain a non-issue. Nothing will happen and no one really care.

Once in a while these savages strike out and get one of the innocent outsiders and it is made to be a big deal. Sadly, though, no one really cares about the ones who were brought up in it. Beerball can say politics should not enter this discussion, and he's right, it shouldn't have to. But, there is a reason we know Trayvon Martin's name and not Hadiya Pendleton.

This nation is too focused on the stupid and the ridiculous to pay attention to the important and relevant. We care more about Kim Kardashians latest selfie and what Jimmy Fallon did last night then we do about who is elected to our local school board or what our kids are eating for lunch at school.

Gun control is a popular headline grabber, but nothing is getting done on that front. Perhaps we need to look at a new approach, because this **** we have going on now, well, it ain't working.

So true boyst!

There is a reason why Al Capone always set up in areas near a border (Prohibition also helped ;-)): Vermot/NH, Iowa/Illinois, Illinois-Chicago/Indiana. Crime, guns, graft can always can thrive where the laws are different.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah...right.

Having now recently left Chicago I can say it is as crazy as it looks. People there have become all too numb to the deep segregation, poverty and acceptance of violence. Chicago has a very significant violence issue period.. The mayor standing there saying this unacceptable made a joke of himself. That was a captain obvious statement.

I've only been to Chicago once and I loved it. I was at the top of the Tribune Tower and a colleague pointed out where to go and where not to go. I don't know how that area is, but I walked freely for hours at night, alone, and had no problems at all. I may have just been in a nicer area; or I may have just been lucky. But I loved the city.