Anyone else on here have a Linkedin account?

i use it to search for jobs instead of using monster et al, usually you can reach right out to the hiring manager rather than submitting to some community email account, then you can see what connections you have to the business or the hiring manager and reach out to them to try and get noticed a bit quicker, hopefully.

This ^

The running joke in our industry for years was whenever you got an invite from someone to accept their LinkedIn account, it meant they were either fired or looking for work.

In the past year or so, though, it's been a great way to get word out about my company, projects we're doing, etc. Just having our name show up in someone's LinkedIn email every day or so is good to keep our name out there.

On the other hand, one of the annoying items is the "recommend" feature, where you can recommend someone as an expert in a particular field. It's beyond ridiculous.

On the other hand, one of the annoying items is the "recommend" feature, where you can recommend someone as an expert in a particular field. It's beyond ridiculous.

The "skills and endorsements" feature is ludicrous as well. Even I'm impressed by what I'm apparently good at.

The "skills and endorsements" feature is ludicrous as well. Even I'm impressed by what I'm apparently good at.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've long wanted to do a mock LinkedIn where you could endorse people for what you really know about them. How great would it be to endorse someone for "incompetence" or "lying sack of snakeschitt"?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've long wanted to do a mock LinkedIn where you could endorse people for what you really know about them. How great would it be to endorse someone for "incompetence" or "lying sack of snakeschitt"?

True story: two years or so ago my wife and I and another couple were at a wine tasting and began chatting with one of the winemakers. Well, he wasn't really the winemaker; he was the husband of the woman whose family made the wine. Anyway, the guy starts telling us about this "revolutionary" new social media platform he is creating that is going to take the world by storm. It's going to be better than Facebook, he says, because it's focused on business contacts. The environment will be like the ocean, and you'll create various "islands" of grouped contacts. You'll be able to send certain "rewards" to your contacts to recognize their particular skills and expertise, and it will be a great place to look for jobs and promote your business. I think he was going to call it "waves" or something like that.

My buddy and I look at each other, and I turn to the guy and say, "you mean, like LinkedIn?"

"Yeah, sort of, but people will want to use mine because of the cool ocean environment."

I wish I could make this stuff up.