Had to put my dog down this weekend.

Gordio

Really sorry to hear that, Gordio. Yeah, that was me that posted that about a month and a half ago. Our dog was 15 and had bladder cancer as well. It got to the point where she was peeing all the time, and only a little bit each time. Finally she started to leak, and we knew it was time. It was really hard because other than having to pee a lot, she was otherwise doing great for a 15-year-old.

I've definitely had that incredibly empty feeling over the past few weeks, and there are times my wife and I think we see or hear her. When you have a dog that is such a big part of your life every day for years and years, it's going to leave a big empty hole.

I did find some solace in reading this book by Jon Katz. He has an interesting perspective on pets and the process of life and death with animals. It's short, and has a few good passages that I thought helped. Worth a quick read, I think.

It's getting better, but it will take some time.

Thanks, this pretty much sums up my feelings. Just feels like a big empty hole right now. Same thing happened. The last 4 days she was trying to go to the bathroom but nothing was coming out. She lived a good life & I am gratefull I could call her my dog for 14 years.

To everybody else, thanks for the kind words & thought. I certainly appreciate it.

The only thing that heals that loss is getting right back on the horse. There's a great dog in a shelter near you that's facing death and would love nothing more than to be your new best friend. Maisy would want that - it's the best tribute you can ever give.

The only thing that heals that loss is getting right back on the horse. There's a great dog in a shelter near you that's facing death and would love nothing more than to be your new best friend. Maisy would want that - it's the best tribute you can ever give.

I think this is true, and I'm sure my wife and I will get another dog at some point. But it's hard to know when that should happen. We'll probably wait a while. One thing I've considered is that if we do get other dogs, we'll probably only look at older shelter dogs. Give them the opportunity to have a comfortable home, even if it's only for a short while, while not necessarily looking at another 15-year commitment.

couldn't agree more. yesterday is saw 2 dogs roaming in a gas station parking lot that almost certainly had been dumped. i'm not in a position to take 2 more right now as we have two old dogs already and they're getting frail and weak and it wouldn't be fair to them. but consider what a great life your dog had in comparison and how great a life you could give another dog or two. all of our dogs have been rescues. i swear, they all knew they were saved and we're enormously appreciative loyal and loving in return. it's a great deal all around.

I think this is true, and I'm sure my wife and I will get another dog at some point. But it's hard to know when that should happen. We'll probably wait a while. One thing I've considered is that if we do get other dogs, we'll probably only look at older shelter dogs. Give them the opportunity to have a comfortable home, even if it's only for a short while, while not necessarily looking at another 15-year commitment.

This is the best thing I've read all day. The most overlooked and underrated dogs. Good on you! :thumbsup:

I really should get a dog. I am hardly ever home and still; between work, life, and the gym and then farming - I really have thought about getting an older shelter dog.

it's pretty common for people to drop off perfectly great herding dogs because they didn't understand that they were bred to be high energy and not sit inside or in a cage all day. then they don't understand why they become destructive. would seem a fine match for a farmer.

it's pretty common for people to drop off perfectly great herding dogs because they didn't understand that they were bred to be high energy and not sit inside or in a cage all day. then they don't understand why they become destructive. would seem a fine match for a farmer.

I just looked at our local shelter here, well after posting that. All the dogs there were under 2 years old. I may do some digging this week.

Our county has one of the last gas chambers for animals in the state.

Also, I live at a semi rural intersection where people generally stop their car and just drop off the cats or dogs they no longer want. In the last 9 years I have taken in and fostered:

16+ puppies

3 full grown small breed dogs

4 or 5 cats

2 kittens.

The cats never last long as strays. The dogs make it a little longer. I've seen some pretty !@#$ed up **** when walking the back country, foxes and coyotes are prevalent here, as well as feral dogs and cats.

This thread is not about me, I do not want to hijack it.

This is the best thing I've read all day. The most overlooked and underrated dogs. Good on you! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I don't want to hijack the thread, but in that book "Going Home" that I linked to earlier, there was a great passage that really brought that idea home to me:

There are many millions of dogs and cats languishing in cages in shelters who would be pleased to come and love people who have lost their beloved pets. It's easy to find one, and inexpensive, and satisfying beyond words.

There is a dog or cat for everybody. An eighty-year-old neighbor was devastated when she lost her cat, but she told me that she was too old to get another pet—it wouldn't be fair. We went to a shelter near Glens Falls, New York, and found a fourteen-year-old cat whose owners had died. She only had a year or two left to live and was very happy to spend her remaining days in my neighbor's lap. People say they're too busy to get another dog, but many older dogs would be only too happy to get out of their crates in their shelters and spend their last days napping in the living rooms of busy people who are out at work.

There are a number of really nice passages like that in the book that helped me through the loss. The idea above has brought me comfort in the idea of another dog, whereas before it was almost unthinkable, at least for the time being.