Remembering Joe Delaney

The only thing better than his talent was his heart. God Bless you Joe and may you rest in peace.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Chiefs-Kingdom-Joe-Delaney/0cb24631-8c8a-41fa-a2ab-ea04fc495990

I'm 50 so I remember it well and so does Marv Levy.He was not only a great running back and ROY but just a good person. He died a hero. RIP Mr Delaney.

Edited by seq004

I, too, remember this well. What still puzzles me though is why? If you know you can't swim, what possible good will jumping into deep water do to save OTHERS who can't swim?

I'm not being facetious here. This is different heroism than say pulling someone from a burning car or house, if you deem it possible. If there's a lesson to be learned from this, its knowing unconscious, submerged people CAN be resuscitated, if gotten to quickly enough. There was time for him to alert anyone else to lend assistance while he could then have called 911/authorities.

Sad.

I, too, remember this well. What still puzzles me though is why? If you know you can't swim, what possible good will jumping into deep water do to save OTHERS who can't swim?

I'm not being facetious here. This is different heroism than say pulling someone from a burning car or house, if you deem it possible. If there's a lesson to be learned from this, its knowing unconscious, submerged people CAN be resuscitated, if gotten to quickly enough. There was time for him to alert anyone else to lend assistance while he could then have called 911/authorities.

Sad.

React, think later.

Sad.

If you look at the location in the video there was no time to wait. Either he did something to help or do nothing. His heroism saved 1 life while 2 others and his own life were lost. Joe Delaney deserves a rememberance, he made one of life's greatest sacrifices.