"Classic" Song Makes You Wonder Why it Still Receives Air Play

There is plenty of great music being created and played today. You just have to look for it. The live performance today tend to blow away those of 30-40 years ago. In the 60's and 70's they were so !@#$ed up they were oftentimes terrible. Aerosmith was pathetic when I saw them live. Today bands realize they have to bring their A game live and usually do.

Not really some of today's bands are horrible live because the song they're known for had tons of great studio work to make them sound better than the actually are. Case in point Best Day of My Life by All American Authors is one of those songs I can listen to over and over again on my iPod yet I listened to the song on a few "live shows" and the lead singer is just horrible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some newfound respect for Petty with these comments about EDM. He said exactly what I've been thinking - you're watching people play records!:

http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2014/07/28/tom-petty-slams-edm-culture-and-electric-daisy-carnival-watch-people-play-records-thats-stupid/

He's right and I don't know why petty takes so much crap around here, he's pretty good. Popular music today all sounds the same and I honestly cant tell when a song comes on if it's Beyonce, Nicky minaj, miley, rihanna, Taylor Swift, lady gaga, etc etc. Just a bunch of pre- processed crap using the same effects

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm pretty neutral on Tom Petty, but everyone I know that has seen him live says they loved it. They say that he doesn't mess around and plays basically ALL of his hits, every time. He doesn't try to force his latest release down your throat but plays what the people want. I can, at the very least, respect that aspect of him.

I'm pretty neutral on Tom Petty, but everyone I know that has seen him live says they loved it. They say that he doesn't mess around and plays basically ALL of his hits, every time. He doesn't try to force his latest release down your throat but plays what the people want. I can, at the very least, respect that aspect of him.

I had low expectations for his half time show, and it ended up being one of the better ones.

That is the least rock and roll song to ever feature the phrase, "rock and roll."

Ugg.....a great example of soft rooster rock.

I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

Oh, and anything by Aerosmith, Def Leppard, most of the hair metal 80s bands. If they were struck from the record, I wouldn't miss a thing (that one's for you, Steven Tyler).

Rock died in the 90's. Todays stuff just doesn't have any substance.

Patently false, and most of my music listening was from the 90s.

Some bands that rock:

Muse:

Arctic Monkeys:

I could list a dozen more "new" bands, but I'm lazy ;)

Patently false, and most of my music listening was from the 90s.

Some bands that rock:

Muse:

Arctic Monkeys:

I could list a dozen more "new" bands, but I'm lazy ;)

Both of those songs are just okay to me, but that arctic monkey video is friggin cool! I haven't dropped in 20 years, but that video totally tripps me!!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and anything by Aerosmith, Def Leppard, most of the hair metal 80s bands. If they were struck from the record, I wouldn't miss a thing (that one's for you, Steven Tyler).

I know it is cheesy but you have to admit "Awesome Sugar Honey" is catchy.

• 1 month later...

no idea who says "gee I love that song" when this comes on. As bad as it was listening to it, watching the cheapo video was actually worse

http://youtu.be/ELpmmeT69cE

I dunno...I always liked the end of that video, where the guy throws himself off a building, then turns into a bird and flies away, in an apparent and ultimately futile attempt to escape that ****-ass video...

• 3 weeks later...