"Classic" Song Makes You Wonder Why it Still Receives Air Play

I think the Police are one of the greatest bands of all time. Hands down. Five studio albums in five years made an enormous impact on music. Easily some of the best drumming of the 80s. I put Stewart Copeland damn close to Neil Peart on any "best drummers" list. I will grant you that the radio-friendly songs from Synchronicity were crap (Every Breath You Take, Wrapped Around Your Finger, King of Pain) and clearly sell-out tunes. But Outlandos, Regatta, Zenyatta and Ghost were pure classics from beginning to end, and every other song not previously mentioned from Synchronicity was great, too. Love me some Police.

I will give you, "Roxanne" was a really cool song at the time...it was unlike anything else you would hear on the radio... I know Copeland is a great drummer, etc etc...but my ears just want to cringe everytime I hear Stings voice... as somebody recently joked, the words "net neutrality" are the only two words more bore inducing than the words "featuring Sting". I realize, a lot of people love them...but I just can't deal with them for more than a song or two...to each his own...I have a similar aversion to the Beach Boys.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give you, "Roxanne" was a really cool song at the time...it was unlike anything else you would hear on the radio... I know Copeland is a great drummer, etc etc...but my ears just want to cringe everytime I hear Stings voice... as somebody recently joked, the words "net neutrality" are the only two words more bore inducing than the words "featuring Sting". I realize, a lot of people love them...but I just can't deal with them for more than a song or two...to each his own...I have a similar aversion to the Beach Boys.

Okay, I get that. There are people who dislike Rush because of Geddy Lee's voice and I even saw someone here say they hate Zeppelin because of Plant's voice (still makes me shake my head).

The Police, to me, are one of the few bands whose sound has never been able to be duplicated. Some have tried. Some have borrowed pieces. But no one has duplicated it. I love that about them.

Okay, I get that. There are people who dislike Rush because of Geddy Lee's voice and I even saw someone here say they hate Zeppelin because of Plant's voice (still makes me shake my head).

The Police, to me, are one of the few bands whose sound has never been able to be duplicated. Some have tried. Some have borrowed pieces. But no one has duplicated it. I love that about them.

What musicians in their right mind would spend the time to duplicate a sound that sucks?? Never thought abou that being the reason did ya....did ya huh? :D

What musicians in their right mind would spend the time to duplicate a sound that sucks?? Never thought abou that being the reason did ya....did ya huh? :D

Good question!! Thank God Phish was the only band that successfully ripped off the I'm Grateful They Are Gone Dead.

What's so hard to duplicate? Strike a faux-reggae beat and shout EEE-YOOO-OOOOH into the mike.

Unless JBoyst lists a band. That band will simply suck.

I don't like bands anymore. I can't find an album I enjoy anymore. Rock died in the 90's. Todays stuff just doesn't have any substance. It really hurts to compare it to the bands of the 80's and 90's and before. Take a band like Genesis or Chicago. I cannot understand why they still get played. But, they're very popular, have good tunes and you know them for better or for worse. And despite being awful they're better then the best stuff today.

I mean, how pathetic is it that I know the line "I'm so fancy...you already know..." but thats the only part I know. There is a part about London and Tokyo but I don't know it. Then there is that song "Heeyyyy Brother..." and that's the only part I know. Then the song "Happy." "cuz i'm happy..."

Jeesh, I really couldn't do more then a line or two to any popular song. But if you give me a country song prior to 2003 I can name the artist, song and year it came out within the first line or notes - then sing it by heart. If it is 80's music or some 90's, nearly the same thing.

So, when it comes to wondering why old songs are still on the radio - it's not something I do. I am just happy they're on.

I don't like bands anymore. I can't find an album I enjoy anymore. Rock died in the 90's. Todays stuff just doesn't have any substance. It really hurts to compare it to the bands of the 80's and 90's and before. Take a band like Genesis or Chicago. I cannot understand why they still get played. But, they're very popular, have good tunes and you know them for better or for worse. And despite being awful they're better then the best stuff today.

I mean, how pathetic is it that I know the line "I'm so fancy...you already know..." but thats the only part I know. There is a part about London and Tokyo but I don't know it. Then there is that song "Heeyyyy Brother..." and that's the only part I know. Then the song "Happy." "cuz i'm happy..."

Jeesh, I really couldn't do more then a line or two to any popular song. But if you give me a country song prior to 2003 I can name the artist, song and year it came out within the first line or notes - then sing it by heart. If it is 80's music or some 90's, nearly the same thing.

So, when it comes to wondering why old songs are still on the radio - it's not something I do. I am just happy they're on.

Maybe it's a generational thing (I prefer to think not), but today's popular music sucks. Bieber, Cyrus, Swift, Gaga, etc .... all sound the same too using the same vocal effects. At least the pop stars of yesterday like Michael Jackson and Madonna had real talent and their own unique sound. So yes classic rock is the safe haven, however that's no excuse to play crap like "baby come back", which is lame and forgetabble in any era.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Maybe it's a generational thing (I prefer to think not), but today's popular music sucks. Bieber, Cyrus, Swift, etc .... all sound the same too using the same vocal effects. At least the pop stars of yesterday like Michael Jackson and Madonna had real talent and their own unique sound. So yes classic rock is the safe haven, however that's no excuse to play crap like "baby come back", which is lame and forgetabble in any era.

I agreed with you until your last sentence.

You know what I miss? K-Tel records. I bet Baby Come Back was on a K-Tel record back in the day.

Maybe it's a generational thing (I prefer to think not), but today's popular music sucks. Bieber, Cyrus, Swift, etc .... all sound the same too using the same vocal effects. At least the pop stars of yesterday like Michael Jackson and Madonna had real talent and their own unique sound. So yes classic rock is the safe haven, however that's no excuse to play crap like "baby come back", which is lame and forgetabble in any era.

You know, I was going to add a tidbit about Madonna. She is relevant to this type of discussion because the woman began music so honestly. By all accounts and intensive porpoises she genuinely loved the music.

Now, she is long in the tooth and for a while did anything she could to stay relevant musically. Jackson was a pop artist with more talent then the world will ever realize but Madonna was as produced as anyone and by the time she gained popularity she was just another production pop star that was manufactured by a label. Go back to her first cameo on film and look at how pure she looked and go back to that time and see the difference in her behavior.

Her first cameo was Vision Quest, by the way.

There is plenty of great music being created and played today. You just have to look for it. The live performance today tend to blow away those of 30-40 years ago. In the 60's and 70's they were so !@#$ed up they were oftentimes terrible. Aerosmith was pathetic when I saw them live. Today bands realize they have to bring their A game live and usually do.