"Classic" Song Makes You Wonder Why it Still Receives Air Play

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rocky Mountain Way" and "Peace of Mind" couple others I heard today that I could have done without ...

It is all what makes listening to the radio a good thing. It wouldn't be the same without "penance songs"... Yes, even commericals/news, etc... It is what makes or breaks channel surfing! One hand on the wheel and one on the radio! :lol: You never know what you will get. That is all part of the enjoyment... Having to sit through the penance makes you that much stronger! Who wants a sterile controlled environment. I have had a Sirius subscription since it first came out, I will listen to that if I want to narrow down a genre.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

"Rocky Mountain Way" and "Peace of Mind" couple others I heard today that I could have done without ...

I love Joe Walsh and Boston. And those are two true classic rock tunes, in my opinion!!

I love college radio! Commercial free, blues, reggae, jam bands, alternative, world, beats.... college radio is wonderful!

There are many good public radio stations out there streaming for free, including 24/7 music-only channels of their playlists. KCRW is my current favorite, WFUV is another one I have listened to for the past 5-6 years.

Add anything from Billy Joel to the list (covering my ears as "Piano Man" blares thru speakers)

His non hits are great. Some of my favorite stuff............Something like For the Longest Time makes me want to stick ice picks in my eyes.

His non hits are great. Some of my favorite stuff............Something like For the Longest Time makes me want to stick ice picks in my eyes.

Give the "Songs in the Attic," album a shot. Great, great live Billy Joel stuff that is primarily NOT his top Billboard hits.

Give the "Songs in the Attic," album a shot. Great, great live Billy Joel stuff that is primarily NOT his top Billboard hits.

That's exactly what I'm talking about............I HATED him through my high school and college years - 76-84..........Because I only knew the hits. Then my girlfriend senior year would play his albums, and I ended up having probably his first ten albums, including "Attic" - the songs on that are great!

Freebird...good song, but I am just so sick of hearing it. Seems every time I turn on the classic rock station...there it is.

For me its "stairway to heaven". Song has no real purpose, just drags on. I've learned to respect the guitar solo but the rest is an instant downer. Never understood why its treated with such reverance.

Wrong, the Peter Gabriel Genesis. The Phil Collins Genesis is a horrible pop group.

I heard, on the radio, that Peter Gabriel is working with Genesis on a new album.

For me its "stairway to heaven". Song has no real purpose, just drags on. I've learned to respect the guitar solo but the rest is an instant downer. Never understood why its treated with such reverance.

I think it's fair to say the song is overplayed, and even perhaps a bit overrated. But to not understand why it is treated with such reverence fails to compute with me. The structure of the song, the guitar playing, the drumming, the lyrics and the vocals ... for a song recorded in 1971 ... are all pretty phenomenal, if you ask me. I consider my self a huge Led Zeppelin fan and no ... Stairway would likely not crack my top 20 favorite songs of theirs. But it is still a legit classic.

Give any of his albums a shot, really. He's got a surprisingly good and diverse body of work you wouldn't necessarily expect from just listening to the radio hits. Any time Amazon has one of his albums on sale, I pick it up.

Wrong, the Peter Gabriel Genesis. The Phil Collins Genesis is a horrible pop group.

well it became one. Trick of the Tail & Wind and Wuthering were not pop but And Then There Were Three... Was the beginning of the end when Steve Hackett left.

Give any of his albums a shot, really. He's got a surprisingly good and diverse body of work you wouldn't necessarily expect from just listening to the radio hits. Any time Amazon has one of his albums on sale, I pick it up.

Exactly!

He's even said if all he knew was his hits, he'd think he sucked, too!

We agreed on something. What the !@#$ is going on in here today?

I agree on Billy Joel and Jethro Tull. And like I already mentioned- I don't care for lots of the body of work from the Who and Aerosmith(Tyler whining "Crying"- egads! My ears!!!"

PS Journey sucks too. !@#$ them

I think it's fair to say the song is overplayed, and even perhaps a bit overrated. But to not understand why it is treated with such reverence fails to compute with me. The structure of the song, the guitar playing, the drumming, the lyrics and the vocals ... for a song recorded in 1971 ... are all pretty phenomenal, if you ask me. I consider my self a huge Led Zeppelin fan and no ... Stairway would likely not crack my top 20 favorite songs of theirs. But it is still a legit classic.

Why? They stole the theme and opening riff from Spirit's "Taurus", a band they opened for on their American tour.