"Classic" Song Makes You Wonder Why it Still Receives Air Play

Music is the soundtrack for our lives. A song that may make your ears bleed in one respect because it's cheesingly (is that a word?) bad may bring back fond memories of a time of innocence.

Any song made after 1979 sucks balls!!! (just in case any of you wondered who had hijacked my log in)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music is the soundtrack for our lives. A song that may make your ears bleed in one respect because it's cheesingly (is that a word?) bad may bring back fond memories of a time of innocence.

Any song made after 1979 sucks balls!!! (just in case any of you wondered who had hijacked my log in)

I just heard, "Dancin' on the Ceiling," in my car. That brought me back to the day that I said, "man, I miss the Commodores."

Amazing to see the diversity of tastes that people have. Personally, I love both the Eagles and Steely Dan. Steve Miller is OK . . .

I would vote for anything by Jethro Tull.

And despite my professed love of progressive and art rock (Rush, Yes, Genesis, etc.), Pink Floyd has been played to death by one of the Buffalo stations. I've enjoyed the break from 1,000 PF songs per day here in Philly.

I agree with all of this!

Amazing to see the diversity of tastes that people have. Personally, I love both the Eagles and Steely Dan. Steve Miller is OK . . .

I would vote for anything by Jethro Tull.

And despite my professed love of progressive and art rock (Rush, Yes, Genesis, etc.), Pink Floyd has been played to death by one of the Buffalo stations. I've enjoyed the break from 1,000 PF songs per day here in Philly.

That radio station would have to be 97 Rock. One time, years ago, I listened to them play "Aqualung" - not just Jethro Tull, but specifically the song "Aqualung" - six times in three hours.

(Someone else was controlling the radio. At least, until I took a hammer to it.)

Question. Why the !@#$ are any of you listening to music on the radio? :huh::blink:

I love college radio! Commercial free, blues, reggae, jam bands, alternative, world, beats.... college radio is wonderful!

Question. Why the !@#$ are any of you listening to music on the radio? :huh::blink:

Because the radio doesn't automatically charge me every six months at a rate about 500% higher than they charged me for the previous 6 months even when I specifically tell them not to automatically renew my subscription (as I know I can really get the service for only $5 a month). I just got sick of calling in every six months to complain until they dropped the price. This was after I even specially said to them, if you do this again I will never be a customer of yours again. They did and I haven't been since.

Edited by Mark80

I don't think the purpose of the OP's original post was to ask what you think is a classic song that you wonder why it receives air play.

I think he just wanted us all to know that he doesn't like, "Baby Come Back."

I happen to like that song.

It is one of my ex's all-time favorite songs...no pun intended.

For me, it is anything by the Police....and "My Sharona".

Anything which has been decreed "Classic 80's"

Tainted Love

Hungry Like the Wolf

All that ****

I'm mostly with you on this one Big Cat. Thing is, the 80's spawned some really great songs, but the production is so awful, it ruins most of the songs...

Because the radio doesn't automatically charge me every six months at a rate about 500% higher than they charged me for the previous 6 months even when I specifically tell them not to automatically renew my subscription (as I know I can really get the service for only $5 a month). I just got sick of calling in every six months to complain until they dropped the price. This was after I even specially said to them, if you do this again I will never be a customer of yours again. They did and I haven't been since.

Then change who you're streaming with. I use Pandora and it's $36 a year I think.

I love college radio! Commercial free, blues, reggae, jam bands, alternative, world, beats.... college radio is wonderful!

I like college radio too but I still don't want to listen to a DJ tell me what I'm listening to and I also like having more control over what I listen to vs their schedule.

"We Built this City"....I can't even bring myself to fetch the Youtube link. I have the same reaction to this song as DC Tom with "Friday"

that's just not good.

I think some songs hit the sweet spot in stations minds of being a) familiar and b) neutral so they won't at least turn listeners off. Little do they know! An example I heard last week was Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up. I'm like, didn't they realize this has become an internet joke with the "Rick Rolled" thing?

ABC News Rick Rolls 4 Million Americans:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It is one of my ex's all-time favorite songs...no pun intended.

For me, it is anything by the Police....and "My Sharona".

I'm mostly with you on this one Big Cat. Thing is, the 80's spawned some really great songs, but the production is so awful, it ruins most of the songs...

I think the Police are one of the greatest bands of all time. Hands down. Five studio albums in five years made an enormous impact on music. Easily some of the best drumming of the 80s. I put Stewart Copeland damn close to Neil Peart on any "best drummers" list. I will grant you that the radio-friendly songs from Synchronicity were crap (Every Breath You Take, Wrapped Around Your Finger, King of Pain) and clearly sell-out tunes. But Outlandos, Regatta, Zenyatta and Ghost were pure classics from beginning to end, and every other song not previously mentioned from Synchronicity was great, too. Love me some Police.

In college, I would play intramural football and our marching band practiced on the field next to us. They used to always play "we built this city."

If you don't like that song, you would die hearing it played by a marching band.

Just thinking about that song....especially played by a marching band, makes the hair on my neck stand up.