Do NOT Make Way For Ducklings!

She stopped to clear what she felt was an obstacle in the road, and while she should probably face some civil liability, criminal prosecution is rediculous/ Maintain control of your vehicle, and you won't die.

Seriously? She stopped in the middle of the road.

I see what you did there, Red.

I'm glad somebody got it!

Sorry folks, ducks standing on a median is not a road obstruction. And regardless, PARKING your car in a highway lane is criminally negligent. What was her plan if the ducks started across the road? Was she planning to turn 90 degrees across the other lanes of traffic and close the highway by herself? She did not go a 'good' thing. She did a horrible, stupid, idiotic thing.

And there's no way she stays in prison for life.

Edited by KD in CT

Sorry folks, ducks standing on a median is not a road obstruction. And regardless, PARKING your car in a highway lane is criminally negligent. What was her plan if the ducks started across the road? Was she planning to turn 90 degrees across the other lanes of traffic and close the highway by herself? She did not go a 'good' thing. She did a horrible, stupid, idiotic thing.

I understand to a point. I also understand LikeIGiveADarn's point... The answer is somewhere in the middle. Yes, she is criminally negligent. She made a horrible choice to park in the road. A willful choice to put the welfare of the ducks above human life. But, she was protecting the environment and acting "green."

I guess if there was a tree fallen on the road or some other natural obstruction, we'd all be saying: tough titty... It is all a game of chance. Or, if she was broken down... There is some validity to keeping your vehicle under control and able to stop @ all times. The wife/mother (of the deceased) did on her bike. This is one of the reasons there are speed limits. But heck, they were ignoring the speed limit anyway... Everybody else does. Both were being law breakers. The law is actually intended for safety. Who hurdles themself down a road strapped to 1200ccs and blindly trusts the system? Same people who hurdle themselves down a river in the dark and don't expect to hit a barge on a commercial waterway. ?

I'd give her 3 years... Maybe reduce that down to 1 or 2 if she continues to be "green" while in the clink. Then when she gets out, order her to never recycle again or pick up strays.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just to be clear, she stopped IN THE LANE? She didn't pull off on to the shoulder?

That's idiotic.

Just to be clear, she stopped IN THE LANE? She didn't pull off on to the shoulder?

That's idiotic.

Yep.

And the ducks were in the median. She deserves time no doubt. Life? I don't think so. But, then Canada is very progressive maybe she will get life? ;-)

Maybe it wasn't idiotic. She pulls off on the shoulder and now she has to put herself in harms way crossing. Parking the car in the road at least causes a "shield."

;-)

That's idiotic.

That's how the article describes it. Ducks not in the road, she stops in the road to go get them.

That's idiotic.

And if the motorcyclist runs into her car there's a good possibilty she stopped in a blind area. A hill, a curve, or something. Yeah, she's an idiot.

Yep.

And the ducks were in the median. She deserves time no doubt. Life? I don't think so. But, then Canada is very progressive maybe she will get life? ;-)

Maybe it wasn't idiotic. She pulls off on the shoulder and now she has to put herself in harms way crossing. Parking the car in the road at least causes a "shield."

;-)

Some multi-lane divided highways do have shoulders on the left, genious.

Some multi-lane divided highways do have shoulders on the left, genious.

I bet they do. That is pretty genious, I wonder if Quebec is on it? Probably after this incident.

Anyway, I haven't really followed all the details and how the situation played out. How the heck did she see the ducklings speeding by? She had to stop well ahead of them and then hike back. Oh wait, she probably backed up on the expressway! That's even worse, my sister had a friend killed that way. I am not sure the person is spending life in prison though.

She should have used the "Affluenza" defense. That rich drunk kid who killed 2 or 3 in his truck used it successfully.

She should have used the "Dany Heatley" defense. Too bad she doesn't play hockey and make millions. She'd be playing hockey instead of staring @ life in prison. In this ducklings case, even the victim's wife foregives the woman for stopping in the road.