Do NOT Make Way For Ducklings!

Wow...this is a travesty....was there some negligence by the person trying to save the ducks...probably...but life in prison for trying to do something good is insane....how about the ridiculous speed the motorcyclist was going...what about that

Wow...this is a travesty....was there some negligence by the person trying to save the ducks...probably...but life in prison for trying to do something good is insane....how about the ridiculous speed the motorcyclist was going...what about that

Ridiculous speed? Seems he was going pretty much the same speed everyone I see on the road is going, about 10-15 miles over the speed limit. Should it be ignored? No, but not what I would call ridiculous.

I can agree with the ridicule of a life sentence if it passes, but just becuase it's on the table doesn't mean she will get it, so I'll reserve judgement.. And frankly, stopping your car in the left lane of a highway is flat out stupid. She deserves some jail time.

I always find myself swearing at people who are on the interstate going 45 or 50 when traffic is going 60+. It is a driving hazard just as, if not more dangerous than speeding yet I've never heard of anyone pulled over for going too slow (i'm sure it's happened but probably only on more extreme cases than 10 MPH below). Can't imagine how surprising it was to see a car completely stopped in the middle of a lane. Terrible accident.

Edited by Mark80

While a life sentence may be excessive (and in reality, what does that mean in Canada? Is she really not eligible for parole ever?), putting her in prison is ABSOLUTELY justified. This blithering idiot STOPS on a HIGHWAY because some ducks were standing in the median?!? Trading Mario for Skelton aside, that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard in my life. She should be put in jail just for being so unfathomably clueless and stupid that she did not foresee the enormous danger she was putting herself and others in; and then add on the appropriate sentence for what is essentially manslaughter.

Ridiculous speed? Seems he was going pretty much the same speed everyone I see on the road is going, about 10-15 miles over the speed limit. Should it be ignored? No, but not what I would call ridiculous.

I can agree with the ridicule of a life sentence if it passes, but just becuase it's on the table doesn't mean she will get it, so I'll reserve judgement.. And frankly, stopping your car in the left lane of a highway is flat out stupid. She deserves some jail time.

I don't know. There was a woman (wife/mother) riding behind them and she didn't crash. There is some negligance for stopping of course, but should you have your vehicle/bike under control @ all times. You know that there are big things on the road, could be debris, etc..

In the thread about the lock, I mentioned a small 19' boat slamming into a 665' long x 70' wide tow of barges on the river this past weekend. 3 died, the found the last victim on Monday morning. The small boat was going so fast the residents heard the impact and called 911... What is possesing people to zip around IN THE DARK when they know big things may be floating around. Never assume. Same with the road, so many variables.

Maybe that 10-15 miles over the speed limit hurt their reaction time? Maybe that is why there is a speed limit? To fit the geography of the road and factor in reaction time.

Not saying the duck helper isn't liable... But come on...

The safe thing to do is to not even slow down. Even though it's cruel, if you see 5 ducklings, a cute puppy, and baby fawn right in front of your car on the highway, you shouldn't even swerve or slow down--just go right through them. It's terrible to think about, but it's much safer than stopping or swerving.

No, the safe thing to do is to be in control of your vehicle and aware of your surrounding so that you can a) slow down and b) evaluate if you have the option to safely slow down further, stop entirely if necessary or swerve to avoid.

If the article is accurate, this moron stopped for ducks that were not even on the road! This woman is obviously a clueless nut-bag who basically killed two people for some ducks that were not in any immediate danger.

I hope some fat Russian broad with red hair who runs the prison kitchen starves this stupid B word out her first week in prison.

No, the safe thing to do is to be in control of your vehicle and aware of your surrounding so that you can a) slow down and b) evaluate if you have the option to safely slow down further, stop entirely if necessary or swerve to avoid.

If the article is accurate, this moron stopped for ducks that were not even on the road! This woman is obviously a clueless nut-bag who basically killed two people for some ducks that were not in any immediate danger.

I hope some fat Russian broad with red hair who runs the prison kitchen starves this stupid B word out her first week in prison.

Wow man, you are exceedingly cruel.

The safe thing to do is NOT swerve, even to avoid say a deer... You will end up in a bigger mess if you swerve. Of course within reason, everthing is a judgement call.

This woman is liable, but the bikes should have been under control too. What happens if that car was a downed tree laying in the road.

Now... What if she stopped to aid humans... Of course that is different.

Crazy case here to say the least.

There is a reason why when you break down on the Thruway, if you read the toll ticket, it says STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE. Yet, with EZ-pass, who uses a paper ticket anymore... ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow man, you are exceedingly cruel.

I read it and thought he was realistic. It was exceedingly cruel of the woman to risk the lives of humans in favor of the lives of ducks.

Newsflash: Ducks die in lots of ways. If they were really without their mom then if they didn't get run over a fox would have eaten them. It's called nature.

Keep in mind she is Canadian so there is a good chance she was drunk at the time. If that came out everyone would be against her but with the assumption of sobriety everyone feels bad for her. Assuming a Canadian is sober is naive at best. She may have had kind intentions but lists of idiots have kind intentions. Booze tends to intensify the urge to do something stupid.

I see what you did there, Red.

If they were Canadian Geese they deserve to be killed. I hate those things. They're like flying crazy rats that **** everywhere. But, if they were ducks, no way. They're just cute.

It's a little harsh for what happened, but oh well.

Amen but also shocking that the jury was unanimous

Actually I hope that every dinner they bring her for her complete sentence is roasted duck.

What a dumbass she was.

She was going to take them home and raise them, be their mom... Retsore the balance in nature. What did she think? Too many ducks were dieing and the balance was out of whack.

:-O

Actually, too many ducks are dying. The merganser population was devastated by the ice coverage on the Great Lakes this winter.

Actually, too many ducks are dying. The merganser population was devastated by the ice coverage on the Great Lakes this winter.

Very good point! Our baby geese @ work didn't make it either this year. It was those dogs we had running around this year that scared the geese off. Yet, the guy I work with (he's an animal lover too) took some abandoned eggs home and hatched them in an incubator... Did the same last year. Which brings up the point, isn't there laws against messing w/migratory birds/waterfowl? Some of the earliest environmental laws on the books? Like "The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918." Well, here in The States that is.