Fall Developmental League (FXFL) to launch - will it work?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24595612/new-fall-developmental-league-wants-to-springboard-players-to-nfl

I remember Troy Vincent being very involved in wanting to get this rolling. I think it is a nice springboard for players who don't get drafted, are re-habbing from injury, etc. or are just on the edge of making a team but keeps them going until another team picks them up without having to go play in the CFL.

I'd rather a spring leauge. From a fan's perspective at least, if it was televised, it would give me football to watch other than the God Awful Indoor Football League. (Side note- I refuse to say AFL, because those initials are reserved for the original American Football League.)

Also, they could still participate in NFL Training Camp/Practice Squads.

This is interesting though.

That's because one idea with this league is to eliminate the kicking game. Meaning no kickoff or punt returns and no extra points (a 2-point conversion would be required after a touchdown).

The big issue with any fall league is managing how guys come and go between it and the nfl - if at all.

Somewhat hand in hand with that is that practice squad players will take home more money and be in an nfl facility.

With 40 players getting $1k a week for 6 weeks the total player payroll for an entire roster for a year is essentially 8 games at rookie minimum pay in the nfl as another reference point.

Edited by NoSaint

It will never work. We've seen it tried before. Unless the NFL backs it, it will fold in a few years. The nfl and NBA already have a development league. They call it the NCAA.

NHL and baseball have these leagues for a reason.

Edited by The Wiz

It will never work. We've seen it tried before. Unless the NFL backs it, it will fold in a few years. The nfl and NBA already have a development league. They call it the NCAA.

I don't think it'll work. Looking back though if guys are able to play in the league before they're eligible for the draft it could be an option. I think of P.J. Hairston in this years NBA draft playing in the D league after being ineligible at UNC. Other situations like when Clarett was at Ohio St or Mike Williams declared early and was deemed ineligible for the draft. Still that's three players I can think of in about 10 years.

Can't quite agree with the reason, the NCAA might be gone (if we are lucky) in a decade or less IMHO. But a fall league? :doh: that is why it won't float. Because there is like no other football to watch in the fall? WTF?

Edited by bowery4

+1

(Side note- I refuse to say AFL, because those initials are reserved for the original American Football League.)

You are referring to the original AFL of 1926, right? Or the multiple AFL's in the 1930s and 1940s?

It probably won't work not because the NFL doesn't need a developmental league, but because of the high cost of running a football team. I figure the league would need to average about 8K fans per game to break even. That's a lot for a start up league.

But a fall league? :doh: that is why it won't float. Because there is like no other football to watch in the fall? WTF?

A valid point - refer to all the threads we've had complaining that football isn't just Sunday at 1. A Wednesday night league would be little to no interest to a lot of people. Many nfl fans don't even watch sec football on Saturdays. It's a tough market.

The FXFL Commissioner was on the John Murphy Show last night... he was pretty optimistic that the NFL would eventually back it and said they have intentionally kept it under the radar but a lot of work has been done behind the scenes. They are experimenting with some different technologies.

The NBA D-league I believe operates during the NBA season, but I really don't know much about it. I don't think they funnel players back and forth during the season like the NHL and MLB, but rather use it as a place to develop players for future roster spots.

John Murphy @JohnMurphyShow · 11m

Complete audio: FXFL: Paving the Way to Professional Football http://ow.ly/2ISTa5

For the FXFL to be a true NFL D-league they have to play in the fall. That way players can jump to the NFL and be game ready. Yes they draft players from college but an NFL team can't call up a player from a college team, so this is a practical idea.

It can't be in major markets. That's the sticking point all of these minor football leagues run in to. It has to be approached just as the AHL and triple-A baseball have done things. You need smaller, regional markets to support the team. I think the NFL could become more competitive if such a league existed. Not only could you be grooming players but coaches as well and that's important considering the huge amounts of money some the better known college coaches are starting to command. Partnerships with soccer clubs for use of their stadiums would be a great way to move forward with this product and not make huge investments in facilities as well.

Agreed 100%.