It's on like a mofo: NBA edition...Lebron opts out of Miami

Buftex

I love Riles but look at who's left in Free Agency and on Miami's roster and tell me where you see a plan B. Wade is going to get paid, they don't have a ton of room left because of the (stupid) deal they gave McRoberts. If they bring back Chalmers (which they should), that would leave even less room. They had no depth when they had Lebron, they'll have less now with Ray Allen, Bird Man etc all departing.

I don't see a plan B, but I certainly don't have the basketball acumen and influence of Riley. He is not the type to be caught with his pants down and I just can't believe he only planned on having LeBron / Bosh / and Wade back. Again, I'm not saying they'll be a contender, just a playoff caliber team in the widely accepted weak East. Napier could be a steal, Monroe could bail on Detroit, Pau hasn't really been linked to that many teams with any certainty as of yet and neither has Stephenson. Eric Bledsoe is still out there as well (although also a PG like Napier), Deng still has some gas in the tank, Ariza has already met with Riley. Get any two of those guys with Wade and you can field a decent team.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a plan B, but I certainly don't have the basketball acumen and influence of Riley. He is not the type to be caught with his pants down and I just can't believe he only planned on having LeBron / Bosh / and Wade back. Again, I'm not saying they'll be a contender, just a playoff caliber team in the widely accepted weak East.

Riley is smart enough to know that his best chance to rebuild isn't getting an 8 seed and an early exit from the playoffs, that's NBA purgatory. He's smart enough to know it's time to tank and rebuild.

NBA teams are built in FA, not the draft for the most part. He's smart enough to know that! This is not the NFL.

Yes... but the class Riley will target now isn't this weak FA class but the one coming in two years when KD is a free agent along with a host of budding superstars.

Tank this year, restock depth through the draft, position the team to take a run at KD. That's going to be the Heat plan. Mark it down.

KD ain't going anywhere. Book it.

That's a mighty big bet to make two years out, especially considering KD's window to win a ring in OKC is closing fast. If he wins a ring in OKC he might stay, come 2016 and he's ringless with Russell Westbrook most likely gone in 15, I don't think KD stays. The Lakers are going to make him a huge offer as will Miami. It'll come down to which team puts the best pieces in place over the next two seasons.

He's too ingrained in that town for me to ever believe he will leave. He already gets huge endorsements, he will be able to get the biggest deal from OKC as a resignee (assuming the CBA doesn't change too much)...I just don't see it. Westbrook leaving could be the best thing for that team.

Hahaha - LeBron decision is about two hours old, so now we're onto Durant in two years!

The life of an NBA team without a superstar.

That's why I wanted Melo, even at the max in NY. You need guys like KD, Melo, Lebron, Kobe, to have a shot at winning unless you have a dynasty franchise like the Spurs.

The Spurs are a one-in-a-million 15 year run. If NY loses Melo, Phil would kick the bucket before they had a chance to win a chip. Now, they got 2015.

But the Spurs went from David Robinson straight to Tim Duncan in this run, so I would include them in your second sentence as well. No way they win any titles without those two HoFers in this time frame.

And by all accounts Kawhi Leonard is rapidly developing the physical and leadership skills to potentially carry the torch when Timmy is done. Pops is a flat out basketball genius. Maybe he's the true "superstar" of the Spurs?

Edited by Mark80

just read his lettr/essay...mentions a bunch of guys he is excited to play with/mentor...no mention of Wiggins

The Cavs reported that they did not know of the decision before it was posted on SI like everyone else. This leads me to believe that there is no reason for LeBron to believe that Wiggins is out, I just don't think he really knows him at all so he didn't mention him. If the Cavs didn't know he was coming then I would think they wouldn't have said we have a trade in place to move Wiggins if we get you. This is further shown by ESPN reporting the first offer for Love is first rounder and Bennett. If the deal was already made there wouldn't be an initial offer, right?

Now, they may have to include Wiggins to get Love (which seems to be who they are heavily after), but I think they will try to keep him as best they can and run a lineup of Wiggins, Love, LeBron, Irving and (hell who cares, they could run me out there with that group and win). Love also saying that he's willing to sign long term with the Cavs if traded.

I know LeBron loves Varejao and always has, but he's got the big cap number that needs to go to bring in Love. Can't see him staying if Love comes in.

Edited by Mark80

But the Spurs went from David Robinson straight to Tim Duncan in this run, so I would include them in your second sentence as well. No way they win any titles without those two HoFers in this time frame.

And by all accounts Kawhi Leonard is rapidly developing the physical and leadership skills to potentially carry the torch when Timmy is done. Pops is a flat out basketball genius. Maybe he's the true "superstar" of the Spurs?

Well the odds of getting David Robinson, bottoming out, then getting Duncan and bouncing right back, the odds of Timmy playing til 38 at a high level, the odds of a late first rounder becoming good enough to be finals MVP and the odds of having a coach who can turn back the clock, find insane talent overseas, find and implement a dominant system with his team, and just dismantle younger teams is just crazy.

Pop is a genius. I truly believe that. But a genius, with those circumstances is one in a million.

I haven't had the time to catch up on everything. How did this whole thing go down? I see I had an email from the Washington Post at about 12:30 and it said the announcement was in SI magazine.

Did they hold off the magazine and it's going to come out with him on the cover? I assume it first broke on si.com?

I haven't had the time to catch up on everything. How did this whole thing go down? I see I had an email from the Washington Post at about 12:30 and it said the announcement was in SI magazine.

Did they hold off the magazine and it's going to come out with him on the cover? I assume it first broke on si.com?

Yeah, it broke on si.com.

Amazingly, LeBron didn't tell either team first; everyone learned of it on si.com.

(By the way, gotta love how espn got totally snubbed on this).

Well the odds of getting David Robinson, bottoming out, then getting Duncan and bouncing right back, the odds of Timmy playing til 38 at a high level, the odds of a late first rounder becoming good enough to be finals MVP and the odds of having a coach who can turn back the clock, find insane talent overseas, find and implement a dominant system with his team, and just dismantle younger teams is just crazy.

Pop is a genius. I truly believe that. But a genius, with those circumstances is one in a million.

You could probably go even further. Perhaps Duncan has lasted so long because Pops has been known to rest him when he feels it necessary. Perhaps Leonard was drafted specifically because of what they saw in his work ethic, intelligence, and mold-ability into the "Spurs" way. Maybe they hit on so many international players because they know exactly what they are looking for in players? To me, this screams of an institutional philosophy over luck. Pops can spot em, Pops can mold em, Pops can coach em. I'm actually convincing myself right now that it is all him!

Robinson's injuries in the 96-97 season may have been the most fortuitous injuries in sports history!

Amazingly, LeBron didn't tell either team first; everyone learned of it on si.com.

I was thinking that exact same thing earlier!

Edited by Mark80

You could probably go even further. Perhaps Duncan has lasted so long because Pops has been known to rest him when he feels it necessary. Perhaps Leonard was drafted specifically because of what they saw in his work ethic, intelligence, and mold-ability into the "Spurs" way. Maybe they hit on so many international players because they know exactly what they are looking for in players? To me, this screams of an institutional philosophy over luck. Pops can spot em, Pops can mold em, Pops can coach em. I'm actually convincing myself right now that it is all him!

Robinson's injuries in the 96-97 season may have been the most fortuitous injuries in sports history!

Then Peyton Manning's neck has to be in 2nd place.

Thanks. Have you seen any story on who knew what when? I'd love to see how they kept this a secret while getting it ready to go on si.com.

ESPN got snubbed because Lebron blamed them for "The Decision" backlash. He thought it was their fault.

I was thinking that exact same thing earlier!

No chance Pop thought Leonard would be Finals MVP. But he definitely drafted him believing he could play.

Bosh agrees to max deal with HEAT. See fellas, what I tell you. GreggyT I'm talking to you! Riley had something up his sleeve after all as a plan B! I'll certainly admit that I'm surprised it was Bosh though. Thought he was HOU bound for sure. I think people forget how good Bosh was in Toronto when he was the main man and not the 3rd fiddle.

How great would it be if they could add one or two more impact guys (assuming Wade returns as well) and they were able to battle the Cavs in the Conference finals this year? Especially if they got Stephenson with how he and LeBron battled this year. That would be a very interesting series indeed.

Edited by Mark80