Homemade Remedies For the Summer

boyst

If you have a sunburn this summer and do not have any Solarcaine, which does wonder, or even just a lidocaine spray. But, if you want to go further and help that treatment of a bad burn, this is for you. It focuses on two of my 3 favorite treatments for aid; salt, vinegar, and baking soda.

1T Witchhazel

1t aloe vera gel

2 to 4t baking soda or cornstarch

1 to 2c fresh mint leaves

1t of peppermint oil

2T fresh, clean water

combine all, use the pastey reside to cover treatment area.

OR

Use vinegar or tea on the affected area, painting it on. Allow it to dry then apply an olive oil or another natural oil to the area before bed. The vinegar ascetic acid will act as aspirin to the affected area. The oil will treat the skin to seal in moisture and help avoid peeling.

Avoid anything with alcohol, even isopropyl, as it is a drying agent. Once the wound begins to heal oil will also become counter productive, as well. That is where a nice water based lotion will improve the further healing.

Sadly, these remedies do not include lavender. But, lavender tea will help you rest.

Edited by jboyst62

Can I shift the topic to other home remedies?

This is the season for ants. You know what works wonders? Borax. Mix tablespoon with cup of water and some sugar/syrup... They will be attracted to it by the hordes! Let them be and feed, take it back to their nest and in about 24+ hours will you will not see one! It really works, put the baits right where the trails are that they are coming in through.

plantain-herb-3.jpg

variegated plantain is a terrific plant found in most unkempt yards or lawns. The plant is a coagulant, anti itch, anti inflam, antibacterial, and more. The plant can be rolled in your hand to squish it break the cells to release the plants oils. The oils can be wiped on to wounds or burns. It can be chewed to help toothaches or burnt mouths.

Using orange or grapefruit peels around your house will keep stray cats and some other pests away.

I have a friend terribly afraid of spiders.

This works for her, since sharing it with her.

Can I shift the topic to other home remedies?

This is the season for ants. You know what works wonders? Borax. Mix tablespoon with cup of water and some sugar/syrup... They will be attracted to it by the hordes! Let them be and feed, take it back to their nest and in about 24+ hours will you will not see one! It really works, put the baits right where the trails are that they are coming in through.

I changed it, also just want to point out it is dangerous and unfriendly to release chemicals to a natural environment. Borax is not especially complicated for a chemical, though.

Also, these work:

Coffee grounds, good for cats, too.

spicy or strong herbs

talc or diamorpheous earth will get in their joints and kill them so they avoid it.

Cucumber and citrus repel them, as well.

A mixture of coffee grounds and citrus peel are what we use here at the farm. Of course, I soak my citrus peels in vinegar first to remove the citric acid and some of the oils which I then use as various cleaners. One I them process to make a bathtub cleaner which is better then Comet (which is just citric acid - aka same stuff), and the other is just a simple cleaning mixture. The oranges, since I eat two a day with a grapefruit, are then dried and processed to remove the orange oil and that oil is used to create home oils. The final peels or shreds are mixed with use coffee grounds and placed around the house in various locations. In the end it will rot down and make mulch.

plantain-herb-3.jpg

variegated plantain is a terrific plant found in most unkempt yards or lawns. The plant is a coagulant, anti itch, anti inflam, antibacterial, and more. The plant can be rolled in your hand to squish it break the cells to release the plants oils. The oils can be wiped on to wounds or burns. It can be chewed to help toothaches or burnt mouths.

Using orange or grapefruit peels around your house will keep stray cats and some other pests away.

I have a friend terribly afraid of spiders.

This works for her, since sharing it with her.

I changed it, also just want to point out it is dangerous and unfriendly to release chemicals to a natural environment. Borax is not especially complicated for a chemical, though.

Also, these work:

Coffee grounds, good for cats, too.

spicy or strong herbs

talc or diamorpheous earth will get in their joints and kill them so they avoid it.

Cucumber and citrus repel them, as well.

A mixture of coffee grounds and citrus peel are what we use here at the farm. Of course, I soak my citrus peels in vinegar first to remove the citric acid and some of the oils which I then use as various cleaners. One I them process to make a bathtub cleaner which is better then Comet (which is just citric acid - aka same stuff), and the other is just a simple cleaning mixture. The oranges, since I eat two a day with a grapefruit, are then dried and processed to remove the orange oil and that oil is used to create home oils. The final peels or shreds are mixed with use coffee grounds and placed around the house in various locations. In the end it will rot down and make mulch.

No prob boyst! I know norax is not that friendly... But it worked. We were @ wits ends, ants coming in like made, everything was clean. Within 24 hours, they were gone. I used some laundry booster (20 Mule Team). Thanks for the other suggestions, I am going to try and work that into a better regimen.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If you have a sunburn this summer and do not have any Solarcaine, which does wonder, or even just a lidocaine spray. But, if you want to go further and help that treatment of a bad burn, this is for you. It focuses on two of my 3 favorite treatments for aid; salt, vinegar, and baking soda.

1T Witchhazel

1t aloe vera gel

2 to 4t baking soda or cornstarch

1 to 2c fresh mint leaves

1t of peppermint oil

2T fresh, clean water

combine all, use the pastey reside to cover treatment area.

OR

Use vinegar or tea on the affected area, painting it on. Allow it to dry then apply an olive oil or another natural oil to the area before bed. The vinegar ascetic acid will act as aspirin to the affected area. The oil will treat the skin to seal in moisture and help avoid peeling.

Avoid anything with alcohol, even isopropyl, as it is a drying agent. Once the wound begins to heal oil will also become counter productive, as well. That is where a nice water based lotion will improve the further healing.

Sadly, these remedies do not include lavender. But, lavender tea will help you rest.

Or you could become a handsome Hispanic man like me and not burn.

You did say home remedy? meaning stuff you don't need to go out and purchase?

grow aloe plants. it works wonders.

Being Sicilian by heritage I don't have that problem. (very often)

If you are on a vacation and love sun bathing .... Rule(s) of thumb... TURN OT BURN Rule # 1 rollover every 5 minutes, and try to sun bathing to an hour. each day you extend the duration of each.

If you are Lilly White ...... lather up big time, wear big floppy hats and sit under an umbrella.

plantain-herb-3.jpg

is this why dogs love to roll around in the grass?

@EIL: thanks for the ant trap remedy; I am going to try it. They are driving us crazy.

ATTRACT FIRST then let their work habits collapse the colony! What do sterile female worker ants know anyway! They are dealing w/humans here, even if it is me! Hard to attract while watching the ants wander around, BUT DO NOT KILL THEM ON THE SPOT. If you don't go the home mix (20 Mule Team Borax, maple syrup/sugar/protein) route... Get the TERRO LIQUID BAITS. They are baits, so hordes will come first and then bam, they will be gone. Leave them alone when baiting/feeding... They will take it back to the nest. Terro baits are borax based... They make weatherproof ones for the outside.

Oh watch pet food. We call our cat food: Mandatory Nutriontial Pellets... They are loaded w/protein and ants go crazy for it... Clean up after they strap on the feed bag!

They drive us crazy too every June... This year exceptionally bad, had to pull out the big guns! We clean, clean clean... No crumbs, etc... But have plants outside that get kinda wild (more the cottage garden look)...

Amazing... Worked overnight, haven't seen one since... Forget the other ant baits (Raid/Combat)... Borax, water, and sugar is the nuclear ant bomb! Careful around pets, the store bought ones have a case... You can also put drops on a pad...

Here is the Terro info website... OF COURSE you can make your own solution... Again, you will get MORE ants @ first and then the collapse!

!@#$ ants! LoL...

INFO:

http://www.terro.com/faq#Attracting

Ants also look for water, that's why they follow plumbing etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If this isn't a joke. Oh, you get the sun, just not too easy to tell.

Melonoma isn't racist, it knows no skin color. With some it gets harder to find early. Didn't Bob Marley die of skin cancer?

In today's episode of "Buzzkill" ....

In today's episode of "Buzzkill" ....

LoL... I had a boater once say that to me. Just doing my job (I dam things up for a living).

You will thank me in the long run for the buzzkills! It is always a crying shame when the beautiful people bite the bullet w/something they least expect or feel they are immune too!

;-P

If this isn't a joke. Oh, you get the sun, just not too easy to tell.

Melonoma isn't racist, it knows no skin color. With some it gets harder to find early. Didn't Bob Marley die of skin cancer?

I think you have your facts messed up. Bob Marley died of a marijuana overdose. That is why is was made illegal.

I have a never-fail remedy for getting over-tired or over-heated when mowing the lawn:

Crack open a beer, lay in the hammock, and watch somebody else do it.

I think you have your facts messed up. Bob Marley died of a marijuana overdose. That is why is was made illegal.

I thought he died of embarrassment when all his pothead followers started crowing that Tom Petty was a better musician...