OT: My wife has converted!

mcjeff215

This has just made my day. I was born and raised in Buffalo. My wife was born and raised down in Suburban Atlanta.

She was at a new Doctor today, and the nurse stopped and asked *her* where she's from because she sounds like she's from up North.

Yes, folks, my wife has a WNY accent after living with me for 6 years now. It really is a happy day!

Phew.  :(

You mean you never picked up a southern accent? I had one after just a few months in South Carolina. I had to. They couldn't understand me. *LOL*

217485[/snapback]

No, no Southern accent whatsoever. I do say some "southernisms." I'll call all types of pop "coke" and such, but I've no Southern sound to my voice at all.

Nine years of the southeast and I still get asked which part of NYS I'm from.

-Jeff

I noticed they don't have accents in Toledo, either...

217572[/snapback]

It's a "bordering the Great Lakes" thing.

Now, if you were to venture away from the lakes, southward yonder from Buffalo, you'll see Banjo boy at the PA state line, and try understanding that mish mash of talk that occurs in them thar hinterlands.

:(

Phew.  :(

You mean you never picked up a southern accent? I had one after just a few months in South Carolina. I had to. They couldn't understand me. *LOL*

217485[/snapback]

the girlfriend is hell bent on putting southernisms into my vocab, and most of all, getting me to say "y'all", which i will never do...

its still pop, y'all is not a word, and i'm not "fixin" to go do anything...

:lol:

the girlfriend is hell bent on putting southernisms into my vocab, and most of all, getting me to say "y'all", which i will never do...

its still pop, y'all is not a word, and i'm not "fixin" to go do anything...

:(

217615[/snapback]

I've lived in Austin, TX, for less than two years and occasionally a "y'all" slips out. It's embarassing.

Luckily, "pop" is still what I drink all day and I still speak twice as fast as everyone I've met from Texas (astonishing considering I have so little to say).