George Will Comes Under Fire For Rape Comments

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how could this case illustrate a culture of victimhood if everyone agreed that this was clearly an example of rape? it couldn't. and that's the point. many peple would clearly see this case an example of rape and would rightfully be offended.

It's far from being a clear case of rape. That's the point. We don't know the context, we only know what was stated. The guy made a move, she said no, he stopped. A few minutes later, as two people with a recent sexual history lying in bed together half naked, he re-initiated, she does not resist and goes with it. The question really is what was reasonable for him to think at the moment, not whether she changed her mind. And without more context you cannot say with any degree of certainty that this guy was guilty of rape. Yet people find it offensive that Will suggests this guy's entitled to due process.

Edited by Rob's House

Hey liberals...How'd the Duke rape case work out? You know, the one where you hung every dude supposedly involved before finding out the real story?

Keep making the marginal famous because you think you have a "cause" and then enjoy the fruits of your labors. Morons.

Yes, because only rape creates false accusation [rolls eyes at the ignorance]

http://www.wtoc.com/story/24040294/savannah-man-charged-for-falsely-reporting-a-crime

It's far from being a clear case of rape. That's the point. We don't know the context, we only know what was stated. The guy made a move, she said no, he stopped. A few minutes later, as two people with a recent sexual history lying in bed together half naked, he re-initiated, she does not resist and goes with it. The question really is what was reasonable for him to think at the moment, not whether she changed her mind. And without more context you cannot say with any degree of certainty that this guy was guilty of rape. Yet people find it offensive that Will suggests this guy's entitled to due process.

What Will leaves out is what the school did when she reported it. Follow the link D-Bag

http://www.wtoc.com/...porting-a-crime

What Will leaves out is what the school did when she reported it. Follow the link D-Bag

i think you've got the wrong link but i can imagine the scenario. i remember the frats at my alma mater being immune to just about any legal proceeding. we really felt invincible. "double secret probation" was a real thing but called something different. and there were more than a few legal infractions going on regularly. while it was sometimes fun and i don't recall anyone ever being victimized in things i was involved in (except for pledges who knew what they were getting into), there were certainly stories floating around of instances in which there were. there's not a lot of incentive for school authorities to hand kids from prominent families over to the civilian legal system for prosecution. Edited by birdog1960

i think you've got the wrong link but i can imagine the scenario. i remember the frats at my alma mater being immune to just about any legal proceeding. we really felt invincible. "double secret probation" was a real thing but called something different. and there were more than a few legal infractions going on regularly. while it was sometimes fun and i don't recall anyone ever being victimized in things i was involved in (except for pledges who knew what they were getting into), there were certainly stories floating around of instances in which there were. there's not a lot of incentive for school authorities to hand kids from prominent families over to the civilian legal system for prosecution.

I was just showing that other "crimes" are reported to police too.

The report Will originally quoted from is here: http://www.phillymag.com/articles/rape-happens-here-swarthmore-college-sexual-assaults/

and states: A

month and a half went by before Sendrow paid a visit to Tom Elverson, a drug and alcohol counselor at the school who also served as a liaison to its fraternities. A former frat brother at Swarthmore, he was jolly and bushy-mustached, a human mascot hired a decade earlier to smooth over alumni displeasure at the elimination of the football team, which his father had coached when Elverson was a student. When Sendrow told him she had been raped, he was incredulous. He told her the student was “such a good guy,” she says, and that she must be mistaken. Sendrow left his office in tears. She was so discouraged about going back to the administration that it wasn’t until several months later that she told a dean about the incident. Shortly thereafter, both students graduated, and Sendrow says she was never told the outcome of any investigation. (Elverson, whose position was eliminated by the school last summer, emailed me that he would answer the “great questions” I raised, but never wrote back.)

I was just showing that other "crimes" are reported to police too.

The report Will originally quoted from is here: http://www.phillymag...exual-assaults/

and states: A

yup. pretty typical and as expected. and as liberal as many liberal arts schools are thought to be, there's still often more than enough mysogyny to go around.

http://www.wtoc.com/story/24040294/savannah-man-charged-for-falsely-reporting-a-crime

As per usual, you're arguing against a point I never made. You make for a fun punching bag, but you're too stupid to follow even simple concepts. And honestly, I don't care if you are trolling. You're a fu©king douche bag. People like you are the reason no one can have a reasonable and logical discussion about how to deal with these issues.

it's enough that many people find the example offensive and insulting. he chose it. he didn't choose one about gang members. what's the likelihood that a girl doing undergrad at a 45K per year elite school deisres victim status?. you chide gator for not having direct experience (and how you know that i don't know) but then show your ignorance of the general student culture at such school. here's a hint: such schools are competitve, both socially and academically. being a victim aint winning.

No! Never! Not at all!

fluke3.3.12c.jpg

a big mistake was made. it was rectified. should we discuss how many innocent citizens have been killed by the death penalty?

What, exactly, does one thing have to do with the other. Somehow now prosecutorial misconduct in attempting to destroy the lives of those kids is acceptable because the death penalty exists?

a big mistake was made. it was rectified.

No, it was not rectified. Lives were destroyed, and the reputations of innocent men were forever tarnished.

should we discuss how many innocent citizens have been killed by the death penalty?

So, because some laws are bad, all laws should be bad?

What, exactly, does one thing have to do with the other. Somehow now prosecutorial misconduct in attempting to destroy the lives of those kids is acceptable because the death penalty exists?

i'll finger paint it for you: the consequences in this case were small compared with those of a wrongfully applied death penalty. the estimates of occurence on thaose are sdtartling. yet i don't see much teeth gnashing by conservatives over the issue while there was and is a great deal about the duke lacrosse team case.

i'll finger paint it for you: the consequences in this case were small compared with those of a wrongfully applied death penalty. the estimates of occurence on thaose are sdtartling. yet i don't see much teeth gnashing by conservatives over the issue while there was and is a great deal about the duke lacrosse team case.

Again:

Where the !@#$ is the merit in that?

Again:

Where the !@#$ is the merit in that?

no. i never said or implied that. the duke lacrosse case was bad shouldn't have happened. shouldn't happen again.

the death penalty applied to the innocent is bad. should never happen.

one case is rectifiable. the other isn't. the selective lack of outrage for the latter is remarkable. that's all. that's enough.

I'm not a big death penalty proponent, so I'm not taking a side in the overall debate on that, but all the data you're referencing is purely speculative. The Innocence Project is doing all they can, but they still have yet to conclusively find 1 instance of a factually innocent prisoner who has been executed.

no. i never said or implied that. the duke lacrosse case was bad shouldn't have happened. shouldn't happen again.

the death penalty applied to the innocent is bad. should never happen.

one case is rectifiable. the other isn't. the selective lack of outrage for the latter is remarkable. that's all. that's enough.

I suppose you'll now chart the "selective outrage" on this board, outlining a documented posting history of individuals being pro-capital punishment without due process, and being anti-persecution for rape without due process.