I got probationary discharged.....

HelloNewman

Here is a real head scratcher for you:

I was a civil service government employee who was on a 1 year probation. On my 50th week I was told I was being let go. I was not incompetant nor had I done anything that was so bad like stealing, fighting, etc..... I was due to get 3 reviews, 12 weeks, 26 weeks, and 52 weeks. I got a 12 week review and passed with flying colors...I never got my 26 week review because the superv I worked for forgot. I asked for a meeting the day before I was let go and was told my work was fine after some polite prodding. I was also told many times on the side by other workers that my work was fine and assuming no news was good news or else they would have said something about it or given me a verbal or written warning/ counseling or some kind of feedback that I was skating on thin ice but nothing.....then all of a sudden I am out of a job. Mind you I was not the perfect employee and I did make my share of mistakes but nothing so grand as to cause me to lose my job. I have seen people there come in late, leave early, take 2 hour lunches, and never put in a full days work to save their lives. I just do not understand the working world sometimes.....I get hired, I get a 12 week review that I pass with flying colors, I do not get a 26 week review because she forgot to do it, I am hardly given any feedback from anyone except "your work is fine" once in a blue moon and then 2 weeks before I am due to pass probation she walks in and lets me go. I had no problems with anyone at the office...i felt I got along with everyone fine. I got totally blindsided by the whole thing. I am told by the union rep that they can let anyone go for any or no reason at all during probation.

I was a good employee...not perfect...but I did my job and my conduct was fine and I never did anything so bad to warrant me being let go unless someone had it in for me there and kept it a secret. I was never given a straight answer as to why I did not pass. Do I have any recourse or does the "employment at will state" come into play? *sigh* :(

Do you work for the Federal government? Most agencies have an exit interview process. If you have not had one, try to request a meeting with your immediate supervisor to find out the reasons for your termination. It could simply be a matter of budget and not a performance issue. It is much easier and cheaper to let go a probationary employee than to fire/layoff a an employee with tenure who would due a severance package.

I would also contact the human resources department for information. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Sucks. Did you get a severance?

If it was something other than Civil Service, say in an organization that was only interested in retaining superlative employees this might be an easy a way to weed out the less than stellar performers. But there doesn't seem to be that motivation at a gov't job (or at least not to me).

Is it possible that this was some way around possibly hiring a 'contractor' or temporary position & the intent was to release you all along?

Here is a real head scratcher for you:

I was a civil service government employee who was on a 1 year probation.  On my 50th week I was told I was being let go.  I was not incompetant nor had I done anything that was so bad like stealing, fighting, etc.....  I was due to get 3 reviews, 12 weeks, 26 weeks, and 52 weeks.  I got a 12 week review and passed with flying colors...I never got my 26 week review because the superv I worked for forgot.  I asked for a meeting the day before I was let go and was told my work was fine after some polite prodding.  I was also told many times on the side by other workers that my work was fine and assuming no news was good news or else they would have said something about it or given me a verbal or written warning/ counseling or some kind of feedback that I was skating on thin ice but nothing.....then all of a sudden I am out of a job.  Mind you I was not the perfect employee and I did make my share of mistakes but nothing so grand as to cause me to lose my job.  I have seen people there come in late, leave early, take 2 hour lunches, and never put in a full days work to save their lives.  I just do not understand the working world sometimes.....I get hired, I get a 12 week review that I pass with flying colors, I do not get a 26 week review because she forgot to do it, I am hardly given any feedback from anyone except "your work is fine" once in a blue moon and then 2 weeks before I am due to pass probation she walks in and lets me go.  I had no problems with anyone at the office...i felt I got along with everyone fine.  I got totally blindsided by the whole thing.  I am told by the union rep that they can let anyone go for any or no reason at all during probation. 

I was a good employee...not perfect...but I did my job and my conduct was fine and I never did anything so bad to warrant me being let go unless someone had it in for me there and kept it a secret.  I was never given a straight answer as to why I did not pass.  Do I have any recourse or does the "employment at will state" come into play?  *sigh* :lol:

217455[/snapback]

Drew..???..Is that you man??? :(:lol:

I may be wrong, but are you the one that said that giving blood was a waste of time? Or something like that? I could find the thread maybe..............

I hope you find a job soon.

>

Where are you going with that?