2014 Bills Mandatory Minicamp (June 17th - June 19th)

Again, I am not trashing the guy and do not see a need to constantly defend my opinion. He never got a team over the top that I felt had the talent to get there. I wouldn't say that they were rebuilding at all. They had 11 guys drafted in 2013 which I believe is a record. As soon as he leaves they go undefeated and win a national championship. I saw him play probably 6 games in college and thought that he was okay. I have a friend who is a die hard FSU fan and alum and he feels the same. I trust his opinion, my eyes and my evaluation. I think that the guy is about 1 out of 3 to be the franchise guy.

I'm exactly where you are Kirby --- my EJ issues are (1) accuracy; (2) instincts (difficult to describe, but combination of comfort in pocket and natural ability to make plays) and (3) injuries --- my biggest issue with FO this off-season is that they went all in on Watkins trade and don't have a contingency if EJ doesn't progress as they need --- Edited by TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was far from abominable against the Jets.

He was 19-42 and sacked 8 times.

TXBILLSFAN just kind of hit the nail on the head. I want the guy to be good but just haven't seen it yet. I am hoping as much as anyone that he is that guy because the rest of the te is ready to win.

TXBILLSFAN just kind of hit the nail on the head. I want the guy to be good but just haven't seen it yet. I am hoping as much as anyone that he is that guy because the rest of the te is ready to win.

He was pummeled by the Jets DL in that game but he came back to tie the game with a 2 pt conversion (20-20), right after that drive Geno burns Rogers for a long TD to Holmes.

Far from being an abominable performance by a rookie in his 3rd game.

Isn't he 195 lbs and from TEXAS?

Not for nothing, but there is no way Goodwin is 195lbs. Maybe 185 soaking wet, but he's a small dude. Showed promise last year.....but also showed a knack for getting a lot of nagging minor injuries. I'm skeptical if he has the build to stay healthy throughout a long NFL season.

That's how I feel.

I want Manuel to succeed, and I believe he can. I am not guaranteeing he will, in fact I would not be surprised if he continues to struggle when the season starts.

I'm reserving judgment until the preseason starts. I want to see him in a real game situation, training camp is only a part of the story.

This doesn't bother me so much. I remember watching the O-line being torn apart like tissue paper. I don't think Luck could have avoided getting clobbered at least five times. The Jets seemed to be content to rush all day. I remember in their second matchup, Rex's decision was to go to a single high safety and force EJ to beat them deep, only for Manuel to do exactly that.

I don't want to undercut Manuel's accuracy problems, but he's had, what, ten practices to get the rust off and suddenly show immediate improvement? I'll start worrying in training camp.

This doesn't bother me so much. I remember watching the O-line being torn apart like tissue paper. I don't think Luck could have avoided getting clobbered at least five times. The Jets seemed to be content to rush all day. I remember in their second matchup, Rex's decision was to go to a single high safety and force EJ to beat them deep, only for Manuel to do exactly that.

I don't want to undercut Manuel's accuracy problems, but he's had, what, ten practices to get the rust off and suddenly show immediate improvement? I'll start worrying in training camp.

I am hopeful that with the defense stronger than in recent memory, they will win us a few games. then EJs supporting guys in Cj and the new 1-2 receivers get us a couple more, maybe we can be in the hunt for the playoffs even if Manuel is NOT all that. the old tampa model in which Dilbert (sic) won the super bowl. Achilles heel will be awful Special Teams from a proven bad coach whom we have somehow retained.

Bills minicamp observations: Day 1

The voluntary portion of the offseason is officially over. In fact, all that separates the offseason from being completed is just two more practices and about a month of downtime before we get back into full swing with the start of training camp.

The Buffalo Bills took the field, mandatorily, for the first time in 2014. It’s the first of a three-day mandatory minicamp in which all players must be in attendance unless they are excused by the coaching staff.

Did the offense improve from their less than stellar end to Organized Team Activities? Or did the defense continue to get the best of them?

Here are some notes from the opening day of minicamp:

I feel the same, but to be candid, I am starting to get really down on EJ's chances to be the guy. I still hope he is.

Issues like checking down too much, holding into the ball too long, and inaccuracy are troubling. In a certain sense, I would be comforted more if he were having issues like Geno smith has--ie, making poor reads. That seems more correctible than mechanics/accuracy issues and check down-itis.

Sounds like what we might expect for EJ: shows flashes but needs to be more consistent.

Anyone surprised?

What's more surprising to me is that Rodak has taken it upon himself to list EJ's reps in mini-camp. I find that particularly odd, considering another AFC East blogger had this to say before he commented on another 2nd year QB "Obviously, individual stats don't mean much in minicamp."

Even saying that, reading the reps, I don't see too much to be concerned about besides maybe the interception. It looks as though a lot of them are mistakes dealing with the offense as a whole working out the kinks (botched snaps, dropped passes, blocking break downs). Normal day at mini-camp/practice if you ask me.

Now, if every series included an interception, I may be a bit concerned.

Edited by Wayne Cubed