R.I.P. Tony Gwynn

Best contact hitter I've ever seen... grew up in San Diego, as a Dodgers fan... but I loved Tony Gwynn... Not a flashy guy. Genuine, nice, respectful. He could hit any pitch, he could hit anywhere on the field. He was also surprisingly fast for a chubby fellow... I always enjoyed watching him play, even if it caused a fair share of Dodger losses :)

RIP

I would have guessed he was even younger than 54. It feels like he was still playing not too long ago.

I hear ya on that. It feels like just a few years ago i was watching Gwynn and Kirby Puckett for that matter. Guys gone too soon. Add Gary Carter to that list, one of my all time favs. Time goes too fast.

is this type of cancer similar to what JK12 has? this really really sucks

It seems pretty close to it. And, I've heard that contrary to media reports, JK did chew. Although I'm sure not as much as a baseball player.

He is my all time favorite player. He took the hardest task in sports and made it look so easy. He was always looking for ways to improve, even after establishing himself as an all time great. He was so consistent and confident, and never seemed arrogant.

I feel privileged just to have been able to watch his whole career.

His lifetime average facing Greg Maddux was .415 and Maddux never struck him out.

Link is to a cool audio.

http://blogs.marketw...oogle_news_blog

I remember when Strausburgh was @ San Diego St & they asked Gwynn why doesn't he use his ace pitcher more & he said something to the effects of "I am not going to possibly damage Stephen's arm just to bulk up my resume." Class act & one of the sweetest swings in all of baseball. Made hitting look easy. Batted 394 in the strike shortened season of 1994. Closest anybody has ever come to topping the 400 mark since Williams did it. One of the alltime greats for sure.

I was listening to espn radio late last night when they were listing some of his stats.

19 straight seasons of hitting over .300. Holy crap - that's unreal in the modern game!

5 seasons in a row where his collective BA was .368

And, it went on and on.

And, the biggest thing wasn't his stats. It was what a class act he was.

This one hurts.

What a swing. Loved him as a broadcaster as well. Always learned something every game he did. My friends and I used to laugh about how he sounded like Gwen Stefani.....w/ that SoCal accent. Will truly be missed.

R I P Tony and Thank You

Edited by gomper

I don't remember the exact question asked by the reporter, or who the reporter was. But it was in reference to Gwynn being overweight/fat.

He ... without the slightest amount of arrogance ... retorted, "I don't see many skinny guys batting .330 every year."

One of the best sports quotes in the history of the world, in my opinion.

Tony Gwynn played the game the way it was supposed to be played and respected the game the way it deserved to be respected. I doubt we will ever see another one like him in any professional sport.

RIP.

I was listening to espn radio late last night when they were listing some of his stats.

19 straight seasons of hitting over .300. Holy crap - that's unreal in the modern game!

5 seasons in a row where his collective BA was .368

And, it went on and on.

And, the biggest thing wasn't his stats. It was what a class act he was.

This one hurts.

And his career average was something like 10 points higher than any other post WWII player.