FOOTBALL vs Football

T master

JA in 3....2....1 saying "oh yeah!! Well baseball is even more boring and is a dying sport but you like that!!"

Please move this discussion to the Baseball Forum. It's been a year since someone posted over there: It needs some love.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You truly do not know what you're talking about. You're trying to trash something you don't understand. Here's a fact for you: the people who enjoyed watching yesterday's Mexico Brazil game actually did enjoy it. They're not making it up. It's not a conspiracy to trick people into getting wrapped up in something that they will eventually discover to be not worthy of their attention.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Look at the people you're arguing with--we are the fans of this game. Are you surprised that we aren't agreeing with your idiotic crusade? Get a grip, man. When you go on and on about it, you sound like somebody's ditzy wife who doesn't like sports and resents that her husband gets enjoyment from it. I feel like saying to you, "here, take the credit card--go buy yourself a new handbag. Just leave me alone--I'm watching the game!"

:lol::nana:

:lol:

I've been into the World Cup and trying to get into EPL. But a few things will always hold soccer (football) back from every becoming a top sport for me:

1) The flopping. I know they do it in other sports, but dear lord, these guys act like they've been murdered. It's way too much and they need to do something about it. The NBA has started fining floppers.

2) The lack of scoring. Soccer goals are beautiful but I tune out when the ball just gets stuck in the midfield. I'm not sure what you can do but it drags at times.

3) The fans are the best and worst part of soccer. There are some of the greatest fans in the world but there also are some very uppity ones.

4) The fact that the US doesn't even have close to it's best athletes playing makes me upset. Seriously, if soccer was our main sport, would we just win every World Cup? If Calvin Johnson or LeBron James grew up playing soccer, how could they be stopped?

but the World Cup has been really good and it's a nice distraction from the lack of sports going on in the summer. Plus, there is great atmosphere in bars during these games. I'm enjoying it.

You truly do not know what you're talking about. You're trying to trash something you don't understand. Here's a fact for you: the people who enjoyed watching yesterday's Mexico Brazil game actually did enjoy it. They're not making it up. It's not a conspiracy to trick people into getting wrapped up in something that they will eventually discover to be not worthy of their attention.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Look at the people you're arguing with--we are the fans of this game. Are you surprised that we aren't agreeing with your idiotic crusade? Get a grip, man. When you go on and on about it, you sound like somebody's ditzy wife who doesn't like sports and resents that her husband gets enjoyment from it. I feel like saying to you, "here, take the credit card--go buy yourself a new handbag. Just leave me alone--I'm watching the game!"

How is it that I don't know what I'm talking about. I"m using stats, videos, espn writeups, etc.

Are you disputing that there were 6 saves by the Mexico goalie? Why am I giving facts, etc. and all the attacks are against me personally - calling me names, etc. and not refuting what my points?...............Is that what you do when you have nothing to refute with?

In a thread debating the merits of soccer, nobody should be on the other side of you, right? I didn't start the thread anyway.

And, where's that credit card?!? You can just PM me the numbers!

I'm starting to suspect that, while he hates soccer, he actually likes being beaten up.

How is it that I don't know what I'm talking about. I"m using stats, videos, espn writeups, etc.

Are you disputing that there were 6 saves by the Mexico goalie? Why am I giving facts, etc. and all the attacks are against me personally - calling me names, etc. and not refuting what my points?...............Is that what you do when you have nothing to refute with?

In a thread debating the merits of soccer, nobody should be on the other side of you, right? I didn't start the thread anyway.

And, where's that credit card?!? You can just PM me the numbers!

I don't know the exact number of saves Ochoa had. But a few of them were pretty great. I thought it was a great game.

I don't know the exact number of saves Ochoa had. But a few of them were pretty great. I thought it was a great game.

I said they were great saves!

I'm starting to suspect that, while he hates soccer, he actually likes being beaten up.

Yeah, you really kicked my butt with your literal question, which you refuse to own up to.

You two are proving are proving my point.

If your point is that we refuse to take your previous statements and inconsistencies and cut them up into bite size pieces so that you may better understand just how dumb your 3 minutes of stoppage time argument was, then yes. Proven beyond all shadow of a doubt, that its more fun for me that you don't understand why its so funny and continue to keep digging.

If your point is that we refuse to take your previous statements and inconsistencies and cut them up into bite size pieces so that you may better understand just how dumb your 3 minutes of stoppage time argument was, then yes. Proven beyond all shadow of a doubt, that its more fun for me that you don't understand why its so funny and continue to keep digging.

Check the football bible, bro.

I feel like saying to you, "here, take the credit card--go buy yourself a new handbag. Just leave me alone--I'm watching the game!"

:lol:

I love that my wife doesn't care about sports but enjoys that I enjoy them (or enjoys the opportunity to watch reality TV in peace).

I've been into the World Cup and trying to get into EPL. But a few things will always hold soccer (football) back from every becoming a top sport for me:

but the World Cup has been really good and it's a nice distraction from the lack of sports going on in the summer. Plus, there is great atmosphere in bars during these games. I'm enjoying it.

The World Cup is a really cool event; the international tournament format and the energy makes it worth watching. But once it's over, there's no way you're recreating that environment during the MLS regular season and that exposes the flaws in the game. You always hear that the WC is going to result in significantly increased popularity for soccer in the US but it really doesn't, because the WC itself is unique even within soccer. To follow it after the WC you really have to like the sport and in the US soccer still ranks a distant 5th in popularity.

Similar thing with the Olympics. A lot of people like watching the skiing every four years in an international competition but have no interest in watching the regular skiing circuit because it's just not that interesting.

The World Cup is a really cool event; the international tournament format and the energy makes it worth watching. But once it's over, there's no way you're recreating that environment during the MLS regular season and that exposes the flaws in the game. You always hear that the WC is going to result in significantly increased popularity for soccer in the US but it really doesn't, because the WC itself is unique even within soccer. To follow it after the WC you really have to like the sport and in the US soccer still ranks a distant 5th in popularity.

Similar thing with the Olympics. A lot of people like watching the skiing every four years in an international competition but have no interest in watching the regular skiing circuit because it's just not that interesting.

I wonder if Colin Cowherd is going to do what he did four years ago. Take his espn marching orders and talk soccer, soccer, soccer. World Cup is so great. etc. Everything is so COOL.

Then, the day after the final, he didn't even talk about it.

Can you imagine the day after the Super Bowl, NBA finals, etc. - just not talking about it?

Soccer's popularity growth is undebateable. How this tournament affects the overall popularity here is hard to measure.

But USA-Ghana had higher ratings than many NFL games last year, including beating the average Jets and Giants game in the NYC market.

So sure--will the NY Red Bulls outdraw the Jets or Giants in TV ratings? No way, no how. But the surge is impressive and won't stop any time soon.

The average MLS attendance is already 3rd after only the NFL and MLB. Most MLS teams would outdraw the lowest MLB teams and the top MLS team outdraws all MLB teams except the Dodgers.

Soccer's popularity growth is undebateable. How this tournament affects the overall popularity here is hard to measure.

But USA-Ghana had higher ratings than many NFL games last year, including beating the average Jets and Giants game in the NYC market.

So sure--will the NY Red Bulls outdraw the Jets or Giants in TV ratings? No way, no how. But the surge is impressive and won't stop any time soon.

The average MLS attendance is already 3rd after only the NFL and MLB. Most MLS teams would outdraw the lowest MLB teams and the top MLS team outdraws all MLB teams except the Dodgers.

The reason MLS draws more than the NHL and NBA is because the stadiums are much bigger than the arenas. You never mention that.

I do have to say that soccer is more popular than I was giving it credit for - seems to the "in thing" with young people. I'm not sure if that will last or if it will be like nascar. A lot of people seem to be into the experience than the actual game.

Where did you see that about the Ghana game TV rankings?