FOOTBALL vs Football

T master

So far in this thread you hate soccer and football.

It's like stuckincincy never left.

Yup.

I don't like watching paint dry either. Hey, paint drying doesn't have commercials either so that must be pretty cool to watch too.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think Soccer stinks, for me its like they took everything cool about hockey and made it suck. But outside of my personal beliefs there are many reasons why Americans will never get into soccer outside of the world cup. The MLS is a third tier league and the top leagues in the world play in Europe or some other country far outside the United States time zones. Americans have access to the best Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey leagues in the world along with the NFL which is Americas past time.

Why would you watch a third tier soccer league in the MLS or the best leagues during weird hours, when you have so many other sports that have the best leagues in so many other sports? Even if Americans liked soccer (Which I don't think they would) the conditions to foster that just aren't there.

So the purpose of this thread was to say that you like one sport more than you like another sport.

Good for you, then?

Maybe. Or maybe just a polite way to allow people to crap on soccer without having to pollute the World Cup/pro-soccer thread.

BTW... Football way more entertaining than futbol. I actually watched the Brazil/Croatia game as long as Croatia was winning... But you just knew it wasn't gonna last... I was like: "Come on Croatia, hang on for another approximately (does anybody really know how exactly how much time is left) 85 minutes!" LoL You think... Pretty craptacular, I was almost falling a sleep... Wait, I am still asleep. :-)

http://www.sportsone...nfl-game#!XZydL

By the numbers, there's a lot to suggest that the NFL's product isn't all that great. But the league has done a brilliant job of hiding its average and subpar games. TV contracts require networks to show the local team, implicitly guaranteeing a majority of viewers will care about a game regardless of whether it's a good one or not. Late afternoon and prime-time assignments are made to showcase the very best matchups of the week. The Redzone Channel(s) allow you to see only the most exciting moments. Paradoxically, it doesn't really matter what the average NFL game looks like, because so few people actually watch one. And that's probably a good thing.

That's all bull****.

I watch as much football as I can, because I love the game, and while I watch the Bills games with more fervor, I pay attention to other games as much as I can as well. Yes there are lousy games, but that happens in all sports.

I despise the Red Zone Channel, because that is strictly for fantasy leaguers and people who are not real football fans.

As for soccer, I've watched it, and I just cannot get into it. For that matter I can not get into golf either, and that is a sport that is popular both worldwide and in the USA.

I know that more kids are playing soccer in the USA nowadays, but I still do not see it becoming more popular than football in this country. Or basketball & baseball for that matter.

In fact, now that college football is FINALLY going to have a playoff system, I see football in general becoming even more popular.

As for soccer, I've watched it, and I just cannot get into it. For that matter I can not get into golf either, and that is a sport that is popular both worldwide and in the USA.

I agree. Golf is just background noise so you can fall asleep on the couch during the day. Literally, the Brazil game had the same effect. Was kinda interesting when Croatia scored first... BUT was it ever in doubt. It was a total joke. I wish they could have held scoreless for the first half and then get the first goal, would have been like watching the second coat dry. And man, I know what watching paint dry feels like... It is my career! :wallbash:

I'm not a huge fan of soccer (I'll watch the World Cup, not much else). But there is one thing I appreciate about soccer over other sports:

You don't have to have a law degree to understand the rules. And there's no obscure "tuck rule" bull **** coming out of nowhere. It's a friggin' 12-page rule book.

Personally I think Soccer stinks, for me its like they took everything cool about hockey and made it suck. But outside of my personal beliefs there are many reasons why Americans will never get into soccer outside of the world cup. The MLS is a third tier league and the top leagues in the world play in Europe or some other country far outside the United States time zones. Americans have access to the best Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey leagues in the world along with the NFL which is Americas past time.

Why would you watch a third tier soccer league in the MLS or the best leagues during weird hours, when you have so many other sports that have the best leagues in so many other sports? Even if Americans liked soccer (Which I don't think they would) the conditions to foster that just aren't there.

And yet, MLS has higher average attendance than the NHL and NBA so there goes that theory.

It won't catch football but with the ever declining death spiral of baseball, it will be #2 in attendance in 10-15 years. And the MLS is drawing top talent. You don't know it because you don't follow it but the MLS game is 100x better than it was just 5 years ago. There are MLS players on many World Cup rosters, not just for the US. It's a good league and not the sort of sloppy mess it was when it started up 20 years ago.

The real trick is TV. TV soccer faces the challenge of so many leagues, zero commercials (which Americans can't live without), but the kids understand it and it's their #2 most popular sport to watch. It's already on a lot and that increase is not about to decline.

Edited by John Adams

If you like soccer you like soccer. It's long since been called the next big thing, I know it was in the 80's when I was growing up and all of those hundreds of acres of fields across the town I grew up are now split between soccer, field hockey and lacrosse fields.

Soccer is not growing leaps and bounds in popularity like it once was in the mid 90's but it is consistently growing in this country. It won't overtake football for a few decades, at the very least. And just like UFC, a lot of the hype of the sport is just that, hype. It needs to be kept in check otherwise it will just be kids rec leagues until they reach puberty and find the opposite sex. Else wise, soccer is here for the long term gain and will continue to grow with any good promotional efforts.

Personally I really don't watch any sports anymore. For me most of my free time is spent listening to music, cooking or reading.

Made a duck pate yesterday, goat cheese and hot sauce today. :D

Yet, you still come to this board and you participate in these sports threads. Why?

Maybe most of these sports have worn out their welcome to you, but deep down I don't think you've abandoned football fully.

I can watch World CUp soccer because it's the best there is so much more on the line. But there's a lot I can't stand about soccer too. The two biggest things are injury time and penalty shots...and diving, okay three things.

It boggles my mind that a sport that with constant rumors of fixing matches allows referees to practically pick a winner on one call. Ref calls a penalty in the goal zone and a penalty kick is 90% a free goal. In sport where it's so hard to score they have a penalty where it's almost impossible not to score.

Then there's penalty time. A ref arbitrarily decides how much time is left to a game. A team is down by a goal and the ref can just let the game go on and on and on. To me that's insane. Do they not have countdown clocks in Europe?

Then there are the red and yellow cards mostly handed out because the other team is better at acting like a player broke every bone in his body, then gets up and scores a goal and leaps 10 feet in the air a minute later.

How about the fact that they end the World Cup (first soccer I ever watched was 82 final and couldn't believe what I'm seeing) on those very penalty kicks.

If you ever watch a high school game, you gotta love that the clock runs while the ball is in the parking lot.......Even with these guys, it runs while the goal scorer runs as far away as possible and they all run after him, finally catch him, jump on him, and celebrate for minutes.

Can you imagine any of the above mentioned things (by both of us) in any real American sport? It's insane.

How about the fact that they end the World Cup (first soccer I ever watched was 82 final and couldn't believe what I'm seeing) on those very penalty kicks.

If you ever watch a high school game, you gotta love that the clock runs while the ball is in the parking lot.......Even with these guys, it runs while the goal scorer runs as far away as possible and they all run after him, finally catch him, jump on him, and celebrate for minutes.

Can you imagine any of the above mentioned things (by both of us) in any real American sport? It's insane.

1982 didn't end on pk's.

Edited by meazza

Speaking of a running clock... Sometimes you want it, especially when you gotta watch a team get slaughtered.

They use a mix in lacrosse. @ least here in the HS game. My son plays lacrosse and I was up in the tower filming (believe me, many a film I wished to burn) w/the scorekeeper... I asked him about the running clock... Seems when it gets past 10 goals difference he keeps the clock running... LoL... That's happened many times this year for my son's team.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Maybe most of these sports have worn out their welcome to you, but deep down I don't think you've abandoned football fully.

One could argue that, in following the Bills, he has abandoned football fully. But hasn't abandoned masochism.

Yet, you still come to this board and you participate in these sports threads. Why?

Care to research and find out how man of my nearly 30,000 (whoa, that's sad) posts actually involve sports? And where did I ever say I abandoned football fully?

Care to research and find out how man of my nearly 30,000 (whoa, that's sad) posts actually involve sports? And where did I ever say I abandoned football fully?

I was making an observation, I could be wrong. Perhaps you do still care a lot about football, but maybe not all sports.

For argument's sake though, let me put this question towards you:

Are you going to attend this year's Raiders-Bills game? You yourself have said that you live closer to Oakland than you do San Francisco. Not to mention that you'd be able to amaze us all at your cooking skills if you were a part of our tailgate.

It's also a LIVE event, which means, no commercials.

Now I know that you've become disgusted with the Bills and how they've played lately, and you wouldn't be the only one that feels that way. But what if the Bills actually turn things around this year? What if this game, since it is so late in the season, could clinch a playoff spot for the Bills if they win? Would that be enough to get you to go?

Since you do still care about football & especially the Bills?

Damn, no wonder it sucked. I must have been watching a high school game.

:D

Looking it up, it must have been the semis. I remember Germany being in it.

Yes the semi final.

Being on the receiving end (94) and delivering (06) of a world cup final being decided in pk's, i hate it but i haven't seen any solutions that i find acceptable to resolve the match.