What I did on my Autumn Vacation

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Your sig:

"I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress"

Frederick DouglasS

Unfortunately, his party was the old Republican party, a flame that died after World War I...NOT representd in anything you see today, if you look at the last word, PROGRESS. It ceased to be the party of progress after electing more narrow-minded presidents such as Coolidge and Hoover, essentially killing the roots. Now, as I have stated before, huge parts of each party were reversed, creating a new alignment with the same party names.

Frederick Douglass could not live in this era... the complete degradation of civility and reason would shock him.

Now, as I have stated before, huge parts of each party were reversed, creating a new alignment with the same party names.

217741[/snapback]

Not unlike what is happening currently.

Frederick Douglass could not live in this era... the complete degradation of civility and reason would shock him.

Douglass wouldn't be shocked, and I think he'd tinker along just fine being civil and intelligent hisownself. In exactly what era of human history did we have civility and reason? The test is if its practitioners outnumbered or outgunned the baseness of the rest of society.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Not unlike what is happening currently.

Douglass wouldn't be shocked, and I think he'd tinker along just fine being civil and intelligent hisownself. In exactly what era of human history did we have civility and reason? The test is if its practitioners outnumbered or outgunned the baseness of the rest of society.

217772[/snapback]

It is awfully difficult... do you honestly think a man of his ideals would fit in either party? I don't think so... most of the time, great men are proverbial outcasts until their work is so great that it breaks through and becomes a beacon. For some reason, I think he'd be VERY uncomfortable being a black man in 2005 politically. I would venture to guess he would probably become a professor! :(

I entered that sig line on Martin Luther King Day.

I am a student of History and I think of Frederick Douglas as a man that did more for Blacks in America than MLK....yet is an afterthought my most Blacks (and equally disappointing an afterthought by Whites as well) today in America.

I don't know that he would fit into either the Democratic Party or the Republican Party of today, but there is no question in my mind that he would be more Republican than Democrat.

IMHO

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I entered that sig line on Martin Luther King Day.

I am a student of History and I think of Frederick Douglas as a man that did more for Blacks in America than MLK....yet is an afterthought my most Blacks (and equally disappointing an afterthought by Whites as well) today in America.

I don't know that he would fit into either the Democratic Party or the Republican Party of today, but there is no question in my mind that he would be more Republican than Democrat.

IMHO

217854[/snapback]

Ahh.. that makes sense! :P

I'm a student of History as well.. almost finished with my BA and certification after. The problem lies in lack of education and a lack of caring. Most now would consider a pop idol more of an interesting subject. MLK is now more of an icon than an actual person, aside from his speech which has been recreated thousands of times all over.

Tough call on his placement today, though.