Another shooting....

what's your point? a long gun for home protection is hardly controversial. has there been any proposed legislation to abolish that? this is a strawman. i have a shotgun in my bedroom and would not hesitate to use it in a similar situation. that's a far cry from having an automatic or semiautomatic weapon or a concealed handgun.

what's your point? a long gun for home protection is hardly controversial. has there been any proposed legislation to abolish that? this is a strawman. i have a shotgun Prius in my bedroom garage and would not hesitate to use it in a similar situation. that's a far cry from having an automatic or semiautomatic weapon Porsche or a concealed handgun.

Fixed

what's your point? a long gun for home protection is hardly controversial. has there been any proposed legislation to abolish that? this is a strawman. i have a shotgun in my bedroom and would not hesitate to use it in a similar situation. that's a far cry from having an automatic or semiautomatic weapon or a concealed handgun.

I'll take my semi-auto handgun in my house vs your shotgun anyday.

The evidence is clear, guns cause far more deaths in homes due to accidents and fits of rage, than they do killing bad guys. This was all covered in a thread last summer in detail. The gun-goobers just keep trying to regurgitate the same old arguments that have been defeated long ago.

The evidence is clear, guns cause far more deaths in homes due to accidents and fits of rage, than they do killing bad guys. This was all covered in a thread last summer in detail. The gun-goobers just keep trying to regurgitate the same old arguments that have been defeated long ago.

So a thread from last year is enough for you but when it's something you believe in you keep starting new threads as evidence?

I'll take my semi-auto handgun in my house vs your shotgun anyday.

why stop there? scalia believes missles are ok for private citizens to own. talk about an arms race...we don't desire it between countries but it's ok between citizens? ridiculous, idiotic, irrational, paranoid, reactionary, in a word, liberytarian, thought.

i guess i'm slow...i don't see the analogy. care to explain?

Motor vehicle traffic deaths

• Number of deaths: 33,687
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.9

All firearm deaths

• Number of deaths: 31,672
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.3

Cars should be banned.

http://www.cdc.gov/n...tats/injury.htm

Edited by Gary M

What do you suggest to reduce this?

Edited by Chef Jim

All firearm deaths

Cars should be banned.

From the report.

"In 2010, a total of 40,393 persons died of drug-induced causes"

Maybe we should outlaw drugs?

All firearm deaths

Cars should be banned.

do you think another couple of statistics might be useful to this analysis? ya know like number of motorists per 100,000 population versus gun owners?. or hours spent driving versus shooting per 100,000 population? additionally, safety is constantly the subject of research in transportation industry. not so much in the gun industry. the biggest safety improvement will likely be getting rid of drivers through intelligent cars. wouldn't the analogous situation be great for the most lethal types of guns?

Edited by birdog1960

why stop there? scalia believes missles are ok for private citizens to own. talk about an arms race...we don't desire it between countries but it's ok between citizens? ridiculous, idiotic, irrational, paranoid, reactionary, in a word, liberytarian, thought.

Correction:

Scalia believes that the Constitution doesn't prohibit that ownership, and he's right: it doesn't.

This doesn't mean he believes that individuals should own them. He simply recognizes that his role is not to legislate.

do you think another couple of statistics might be useful to this analysis? ya know like number of motorists per 100,000 population versus gun owners?. or hours spent driving versus shooting per 100,000 population? additionally, safety is constantly the subject of research in transportation industry. not so much in the gun industry. the biggest safety improvement will likely be getting rid of drivers through intelligent cars. wouldn't the analogous situation be great for the most lethal types of guns?

But what about "if we could save just one life"?

I have a better statistic for you.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/