LAMP - My dad named an "unsung hero" by local news station

BuffaloBill

My Dad was to young to have served in WWII but he has been an avid student of the period. He and my mom retired to the town where the national D-Day memorial is in part because of his interest in the events of that day. He gives tours at the memorial three days a week as a volunteer. The local news called him out for his contribution. Here is a little early Happy Father's Day for Pops.

http://www.wdbj7.com/life/education/D-Day-Memorial-volunteer-is-unsung-hero/26307686

My Dad never wanted to talk about WWII. Too many bad memories and nightmares.

Not surprising though sad for him. He is a part of a generation who was simply expected to suck it up and go on. My Dad has met many D-Day and WWII vets at the memorial who like your dad have said they do not discuss their experiences with others. He told me in many cases the wives or kids get them to visit the memorial and reactions while generally very positive are not universally so given the difficulty of the events.

This is great. I plan on heading up that way on a day trip this Summer. Lynchberg and the area is beautiful. Maybe I will stop by to see him.

PM me if you head that way my parents would love to meet you. My mom volunteers at the welcome center which is just down the hill from the memorial.

PM me if you head that way my parents would love to meet you. My mom volunteers at the welcome center which is just down the hill from the memorial.

You realize this is Boyst you're talking to ....