favorite "sleeper" movie

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of God (2002). Not really a "sleeper" movie but it is a foreign film which many may not have heard of. Really well done.

Excellent movie, I also recommend "Tropa de Elite" also a brazilian production.

I've heard nothing but great things about that movie.

The movie feels very authentic. I read afterwards that they used all unknown actors, many of whom were actually from the favellas outside Rio de Janeiro. Even so, I think they gave a great performance. It's very eye-opening seeing 9 and 10 year olds carrying around guns, shooting other children.

The movie feels very authentic. I read afterwards that they used all unknown actors, many of whom were actually from the favellas outside Rio de Janeiro. Even so, I think they gave a great performance. It's very eye-opening seeing 9 and 10 year olds carrying around guns, shooting other children.

That would be eye opening. Sort of like seeing the kids carrying guns in "Black Hawk Down".

:mellow:

When's the last time you watched it? I love Scott and enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it, but on second and third viewings it's pretty horrific. It's two hours of one sided slaughter depicted as heroism (which, in reality might have been the case, but it doesn't translate to the film, at least for me).

When's the last time you watched it? I love Scott and enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it, but on second and third viewings it's pretty horrific. It's two hours of one sided slaughter depicted as heroism (which, in reality might have been the case, but it doesn't translate to the film, at least for me).

Been awhile since I last viewed it, but I saw it as more of a survival story than heroism.

Been awhile since I last viewed it, but I saw it as more of a survival story than heroism.

There's that too, for sure. I think the total body count was 19 dead US soldiers to 1,000 Somalians. But in the movie there are at least a solid 35 minutes (cumulative time not sequential) of just either master shots or medium shots of what looks like tens of thousands of Somalians being blown to pieces. I think the intent was to show the odds the guys on the ground faced, and it's effective, but it became almost celebratory in stretches which I found to be unsettling in ways I don't think the film intended.

Just my opinion of course, I still love the sound track and will watch it when it's on, so I can't be that offended by it.

Edited by GreggyT

Not sure if it's a sleeper. I feel like it is because it seems like nobody really talks about it but Any Given Sunday is just an awesome movie. I'm sure I'll be blasted for this by many or at least some but I think it's a realistic take on pro football.

And the inches speach by Pacino has got to be the most motivational 4 minutes ever in film.

City of God (2002). Not really a "sleeper" movie but it is a foreign film which many may not have heard of. Really well done.

Great movie. Its on Netflix now too. City of Men, which was done by the same director, is worth a watch. Its not as good but its also available on Netflix.

Not sure if it's a sleeper. I feel like it is because it seems like nobody really talks about it but Any Given Sunday is just an awesome movie. I'm sure I'll be blasted for this by many or at least some but I think it's a realistic take on pro football.

And the inches speach by Pacino has got to be the most motivational 4 minutes ever in film.

http://youtu.be/myyWXKeBsNk

I think thats one of the best sports movies of all time

CBF

There's that too, for sure. I think the total body count was 19 dead US soldiers to 1,000 Somalians. But in the movie there are at least a solid 35 minutes (cumulative time not sequential) of just either master shots or medium shots of what looks like tens of thousands of Somalians being blown to pieces. I think the intent was to show the odds the guys on the ground faced, and it's effective, but it became almost celebratory in stretches which I found to be unsettling in ways I don't think the film intended.

Just my opinion of course, I still love the sound track and will watch it when it's on, so I can't be that offended by it.

Interesting viewpoint. I don't think that's what Scott intended it to be, yet it could be seen that way.

It's still a very well done movie, and indeed a harrowing one as well.

I think thats one of the best sports movies of all time

CBF

I think Daniel Ruettiger has an advantage.

Interesting viewpoint. I don't think that's what Scott intended it to be, yet it could be seen that way.

It's still a very well done movie, and indeed a harrowing one as well.

Act of valor was a good one that I never heard much about in theaters. On Netflix now and I watch it every few months.

Edited by The Wiz

http://youtu.be/myyWXKeBsNk

I am no fan of Oliver Stone, and I'm really not much of a fan of sports movies, but "Any Given Sunday" is an exception.

I don't think it's a great movie, but it is pretty good.

Perks of Being a Wall Flower, a bit of a surprise ending.

Lars and the Real Girl, not 100% believable but still fun.

Afternoon Delight, no Will Ferrell cameos and a little predictable but thought it was good.

In Bruges

One of the few Colin Farrell movies that I watched from start to end.

"Spirited Away". It's animation, but don't let that sway you. It's extremely well done.

Well done but I still don't get the ending.

Little Monsters

Fred Savage and Howie Mandel. Kids movie, but good anyway. My wife caught me watching it a few weeks ago, and she said "what the hell is wrong with you."

Seriously? I saw it as a kid it's entertaining but as an adult yeah no thanks

The Game was a good movie.

I liked this one.

Someone upthread mentioned Memento. Good choice! I just watched it on Netflix. What a mind f¿<☆! I had seen it once before before about a year ago, but it was definately better the second time. It was very hard to follow the first time.

It's good but not sure it's a sleeper.

+1 for Boondock Saints.

My nominations:

Hard Target (Easily JCVD's best movie and Woo's first and finest North American movie.)

Siege of Firebase Gloria

Edited by dpberr

• 4 weeks later...

a movie that everyone with a good sense of humor needs to see is "waiting". the movie has quite the cast of characters (ryan reynalds, justin long, ana faris, dane cook, luis guzman, john francis daily) and is absolutely, outrageously funny. many inappropriate moments and huge laughs throughout. just don't watch it while the kids are awake.

Edited by swnybillsfan

How'd I miss this a month ago?

That's pretty much what the battle of Mogadishu was. A long evening of shooting Somalians. The casualty ratio was 18 Americans to something like 2-3000 Somalis killed. And that's no more and no less heroic - on both sides - than Rorke's Drift was. At the very least, Sergeants Gordon's and Shughart's Medals of Honor were well-earned.