favorite "sleeper" movie

any takers on "shoot 'em up" with clive owen and paul giomatti? that one was a ridiculous amount of fun.

ive seen it. Don't rember it much but I remember I enjoyed watching it at the time. I should probably dust that DVD off and give it another go. It's only been a few years. Edited by mrags

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I just have one recommendation, Mystery Men

Cast: Geoffrey Rush, William H. Macy, Greg Kinnear, Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, Paul Reubens, Kel Mitchell, Janeane Garofalo, Tom Waits, Claire Forlani, Lena Olin...before most of them became well known...and brief cameos by Dane Cook, Cee Lo Green, Michael Bay, Louise Lasser, and Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)

I still laugh out-loud every time I watch it. About a bunch of wanna-be superheros and Geoffrey Rush is the villain, Casanova Frankenstein.

A fun screenplay...just a very short sampling.

The Shoveler: Oh yeah, well, maybe if we had a billionaire benefactor like Lance Hunt, then we could afford some advertising.

Mr. Furious: I think that's because Lance Hunt is Captain Amazing.

Blue Raja: Oh, here we go.

Shoveler: Oh, don't start that again! Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses.

Mr. Furious: [Long-suffering] He takes them off when he transforms.

Shoveler: That doesn't make any sense. He wouldn't be able to see!

Bowler: So you're a British man who converted to Islam, sort of like Cat Stevens?

Blue Raja: No. Until the early part of this century, India was in fact part of the British Empire, whose government there was called the British Raj after the Hindi word for "sovereignty". Furthermore —

Bowler: Wait — so sorry. [to her bowling ball] What? DAD! No, he's not a commie, nor a fruit. [to the Blue Raja] Sorry. His ignorance embarrasses me.

Blue Raja: Sorry, but am I to understand that you've inserted your father's skull inside of that... ball for bowling?

Bowler: No. The guy at the pro shop did it.

[The other heroes try to help Mr. Furious regain his anger-feuled super powers.]

Shoveler: Come on, somebody do something! We need him!

Bowler: Okay, let's do this. You're a very furious man. Do you understand that?

Mr. Furious: No.

Bowler: No? Well, you've got a lot to be furious about, and I'll tell you why. You're - not well-liked. You're, uh, abrasive and off-putting. You try to say pithy things, but your wit is a hindrance... so therefore nothing is provacative, it's just mixed metaphors. Now doesn't that make you angry? Does it infuriate you?

Mr. Furious: No.

Bowler: Well, it should! Are you angry? Come ON, man!

Shoveler: Your penmanship is atrocious!

Sphinx: You dress in the manner of a male prostitute.

[the Spleen is shot in the rear]

The Spleen: I CAN'T FEEL MY ASS. I CAN'T FEEL MY ASS.

Invisible Boy: Does your power still work?

The Spleen: Uh-oh, weapons check. Pull my fingers.

[invisible Boy pulls. Spleen lets loose a wind of gas, wiping out an entire gang]

The Spleen: It'll do.

Edited by Mr Info

for mr. info, i am also a big, big fan of mystery men. and speaking of ridiculous super hero movies...orgazmo. a movie by trey parker and matt stone filmed on a budget of what appeared to be twenty bucks or so. completely ridiculous, inappropriate, and often times very offensive.

For a Foreign movie, I'd choose "Das Boot". Deal with the subtitles, because it would simply suck to hear Americans or Brits mouthing fake German accents for this film. Alternatively, "Breaker Morant". For Music..."That Thing You Do"...if Tom Hanks can do a small movie. For the smiles it gives me..."The Dish". Makes me miss Australia, and 1969.

"Buried".

90 minutes of Ryan Reynolds in a box. It's quite good.

Makes my skin crawl but I am claustrophobic. I couldn't make it through it. Same thing happened in the movie The Descent. I had to leave the theater until they stopped showing the woman stuck between to walls deep below ground.

For a Foreign movie, I'd choose "Das Boot". Deal with the subtitles, because it would simply suck to hear Americans or Brits mouthing fake German accents for this film. Alternatively, "Breaker Morant". For Music..."That Thing You Do"...if Tom Hanks can do a small movie. For the smiles it gives me..."The Dish". Makes me miss Australia, and 1969.

Wow. Dad boot brings me back. Remember watching it in German class over a a full week. Long movie and the subtitles were annoying but I agree, can't remake it in English.

Nice pick.

Makes my skin crawl but I am claustrophobic. I couldn't make it through it. Same thing happened in the movie The Descent. I had to leave the theater until they stopped showing the woman stuck between to walls deep below ground.

"The Descent" is a good thriller, but I can understand how both of these movies are tough to watch if you are claustrophobic.

along this line of thinking...the movie open water had quite and effect on me. i am also claustrophobic and have a fear of heights, so if i were dropped from an airplane into the ocean inside of a small box...i think i would have a heart attack, stroke out, have a full on panic attack and explode within about 4 seconds.

along this line of thinking...the movie open water had quite and effect on me. i am also claustrophobic and have a fear of heights, so if i were dropped from an airplane into the ocean inside of a small box...i think i would have a heart attack, stroke out, have a full on panic attack and explode within about 4 seconds.

:lol:

:lol:

Agree with you on "Open Water", very chilling movie.