favorite "sleeper" movie

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleasantville with Tobey Macguire

Edmond with William H Macy

Battle: LA with Aaron Eckhart

Quest for Fire; set in Paleolithic Europe, 80,000 years ago, about the struggle for control of fire by early humans. First movie for Ron Perlman.

Pleasantville with Tobey Macguire

Edmond with William H Macy

Battle: LA with Aaron Eckhart

Quest for Fire; set in Paleolithic Europe, 80,000 years ago, about the struggle for control of fire by early humans. First movie for Ron Perlman.

"Pleasantville" is not a sleeper. While I agree it is a good movie, it sure does get awful preachy towards the end.

Run Lola Run

The Luzhin Defense

Monsieur Ibrahim

Thank you for Smoking

https://www.youtube....h?v=iBELC_vxqhI

Mentioned already

Primer - low budget, but engaging. I felt like I was watching what would happen if the guys at my start-up discovered time travel

Red Violin - Watched this at the DC film festival where the director spoke

Once - probably belongs in the below category

Well-known/non-sleepers that are well worth watching:

Memento

Eastern Promises

Thin Red Line

Far From Heaven - I watched this at a DC independant film club and didn't realize all the award nominations until I just looked it up

Edited by Matt in KC

Run Lola Run

The Luzhin Defense

Monsieur Ibrahim

Thank you for Smoking

https://www.youtube....h?v=iBELC_vxqhI

Mentioned already

Primer - low budget, but engaging. I felt like I was watching what would happen if the guys at my start-up discovered time travel

Red Violin - Watched this at the DC film festival where the director spoke

Once - probably belongs in the below category

Well-known/non-sleepers that are well worth watching:

Memento

Eastern Promises

Thin Red Line

Far From Heaven - I watched this at a DC independant film club and didn't realize all the award nominations until I just looked it up

gotta think "once" qualifies as a sleeper seeing as it grossed $9.2 mil at the box office http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once/ it won an oscar but that was a huge surprise and was for its music. anyway, a really nice film. haven't seen thin red line , eastern promises or far from heaven but will check them out.

"the master" is a worthwhile sleeper to me as well. despite starring phillip hoffman and juaquin phoenix, i think it qualifies by the fact that it wasn't seen by all that many. didn't like it while watching it but it was very thought provoking to me afterwards.

Edited by birdog1960

gotta think "once" qualifies as a sleeper seeing as it grossed $9.2 mil at the box office http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once/ it won an oscar but that was a huge surprise and was for its music. anyway, a really nice film. haven't seen thin red line , eastern promises or far from heaven but will check them out.

"the master" is a worthwhile sleeper to me as well. despite starring phillip hoffman and juaquin phoenix, i think it qualifies by the fact that it wasn't seen by all that many. didn't like it while watching it but it was very thought provoking to me afterwards.

You are dead on correct about "The Master". A very thought provoking movie, and also quite bizarre. I appreciate the effort in the movie, but it's not one that I would watch over and over again.

The acting is what I love most about it. Phoenix, Hoffman & Amy Adams are outstanding. Adams in particular is downright creepy.

As for the other movies, "The Thin Red Line" is very good. Just remember that it's a Terrence Malick movie, so be prepared for a lot of esoteric, artsy moments.

"Eastern Promises" is also very good, and very violent.

Can't believe it tooke this long to remember this one. Best martial arts movie I've ever seen.

IPman

Absolutely amazing if your into bad acting by Asians in a martial arts movie that has awesome fight scenes. The fighting scenes in this are hands down the best of any king fu movie ever. Of course that's my opinion.

Can't believe it tooke this long to remember this one. Best martial arts movie I've ever seen.

IPman

Absolutely amazing if your into bad acting by Asians in a martial arts movie that has awesome fight scenes. The fighting scenes in this are hands down the best of any king fu movie ever. Of course that's my opinion.

Some friends of mine would agree with you.

I am not a martial arts movie fan at all, but I have hear that when it comes to martial arts action, "IPman", is one of the best, if not the best, martial arts movie to see.

Synecdoche, NY

P.S. Hoffman is outstanding. He's so good at suffering on screen and this is him at his best.

I pulled the trailer up for that last night on Amazon but it was not appealing to me. It may be because I simply am not a Hoffman fan. I know he has huge acclaim but just not my cup of tea.

I think the classic romo is "while you were sleeping." An underrated one is "the holiday"-- which is also scored really well by hanz Zimmer.

I believe we connected over this movie while discussing it in the Holiday Movies thread last season.

Little drummer boy with Bing and David as well and the Christmas Shoes

You are my Holiday buddy! lol

Staying with the topic of sleeper movies, 'Election" with Matthew Broderick was awesome

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I'll check it out the Master. I love movies that make me think, and love Hoffman, Phoenix and Adams. Is it up-tempo?

i saw eastern promises listed above, how about "a history of violence"? vigo was pretty good in that one as well.

I'll check out A History of Violence. Based on the Netflix blurb, this sounds like a better up-tempo choice for me to watch on the exercise bike....

I'll check it out the Master. I love movies that make me think, and love Hoffman, Phoenix and Adams. Is it up-tempo?

I'll check out A History of Violence. Based on the Netflix blurb, this sounds like a better up-tempo choice for me to watch on the exercise bike....

the master is about l ron hubbard although never identified as such. it's about the beginnings of scientology. not violent. very strange. evokes questions on religion, power, cults etc.

a history of violence is not really an action movie, at least not an adrenaline fueled fast paced action movie. but definitely worth a watch.

a history of violence is not really an action movie, at least not an adrenaline fueled fast paced action movie. but definitely worth a watch.

Thanks for the heads-up. I try to keep my 3 Netflix discs 1) something to watch while on the bike 2) Something my wife and/or daughter would want to watch with me and 3) something I'll watch alone right away. I'll line it up for category 3 instead of 1....