George Strait - 105,000 at Cowboys Stadium Saturday night

I purchased tickets for this show months ago, for myself, my (now ex) girlfriend and her daughter..they are huge George Strait fans... we split up, I left her with the tickets...I wonder who, amongst that 105,000 got my ticket! :censored:

Wasn't me - we were in a box at the 45-yard line.

Nice! I have seen him 4 times...always puts on a great show... I think he is one of the few "mainstream" country acts that has managed to straddle the line between contempory country, and more traditional (or at least traditional Texas country) country successfully, for such a long time. Great band too..

I love King George. I'd have loved to go, I am very jealous.

Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, Alan Jackson, Martina McBride, Kenny Chesney, Bubba Strait, Vince Gill and probably more are names I saw who appeared with him.

That's !@#$ing awesome. I mean, if I was going to see a concert, I'd have wanted to see that one.

And, in honor of this and someone who once meant a very lot to me, the very last song he listened to -

Seeing a concert with over 100,000 other people sounds like the absolute worst music experience I can think of.

Thanks for the advice, but we do not need any advice, especially from someone who doesn't like good music.

So many great songs over the years...the Frank Sinatra of country music... one of my favorites:

Seeing a concert with over 100,000 other people sounds like the absolute worst music experience I can think of.

Normally I would completely agree with you. But, sometimes you gotta go where the music is. A big country show like this is a bit more of a controlled atmosphere than a rock n'roll show. For better or worse, country performers, especially the ones of the stature of George Strait, design their shows for these types of crowds. The sound is always top notch, musicians in Straits band are some of the best players in Texas...I have seen him 4 times, all in auditoriums...not the best setting. I have always had really good seats, though not front row center or anything like that. The shows feel way more intimate than, say, a Rolling Stones show in the same venue.

Normally I would completely agree with you. But, sometimes you gotta go where the music is. A big country show like this is a bit more of a controlled atmosphere than a rock n'roll show. For better or worse, country performers, especially the ones of the stature of George Strait, design their shows for these types of crowds. The sound is always top notch, musicians in Straits band are some of the best players in Texas...I have seen him 4 times, all in auditoriums...not the best setting. I have always had really good seats, though not front row center or anything like that. The shows feel way more intimate than, say, a Rolling Stones show in the same venue.

Prefer 2,000 people at a theater up front against the stage.

Thanks for the advice, but we do not need any advice, especially from someone who doesn't like good music.

I'm sorry, what advice did I give in my post? And I love good music. But one man's good music is another's ear bleeding noise.

I agree with this 100%. As far as the larger venue shows, I guess it depends on the person. Personally, unless I had REALLY good seats, I wouldn't bother in a venue like the Cowboys' stadium.

But I had far away seats at MSG for Roger Waters doing The Wall and I was fine with it. MSG is a far cry from a 100K capacity venue, though.

Anyway, I agree. The smaller the venue, the better. Albany Palace Theatre is the best place I've ever seen a show. And Steve Martin/Edie Brickell were just announced!!

I agree with this 100%. As far as the larger venue shows, I guess it depends on the person. Personally, unless I had REALLY good seats, I wouldn't bother in a venue like the Cowboys' stadium.

But I had far away seats at MSG for Roger Waters doing The Wall and I was fine with it. MSG is a far cry from a 100K capacity venue, though.

Anyway, I agree. The smaller the venue, the better. Albany Palace Theatre is the best place I've ever seen a show. And Steve Martin/Edie Brickell were just announced!!

To go see Steve Martin at anything over 5,000 seats is going to be awful. To see Strait, Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney in any venue is good but best in a large setting. 90's Country bands like Little Texas were designed for these shows, while ground like the Dixie Chicks, Alabama, Ricochet, Reba McIntyre would be best in a small venue.

But, for a chance to see any of those acts in their prime, come on. To see a show as big as Strait's final show, Garth Brooks in Central Park, Tim and Kenny touring together in 02 and 03... yeah, that'd be a blast.

To go see Steve Martin at anything over 5,000 seats is going to be awful. To see Strait, Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney in any venue is good but best in a large setting. 90's Country bands like Little Texas were designed for these shows, while ground like the Dixie Chicks, Alabama, Ricochet, Reba McIntyre would be best in a small venue.

But, for a chance to see any of those acts in their prime, come on. To see a show as big as Strait's final show, Garth Brooks in Central Park, Tim and Kenny touring together in 02 and 03... yeah, that'd be a blast.

To see Strait, Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney anywhere is a waste of money.

Garth Brooks .... I don't even consider him a musician.

I was joking about the others being a waste of money. But Garth Brooks is as much of a musician as Paris Hilton is an actress.

Both of them are highly entertaining. And I would gladly watch either of them perform.

Both of them are highly entertaining. And I would gladly watch either of them perform.

As long as you're willing to distinguish between "talented" and "entertaining," I think we could be on the same page.

I went to a Nickelback concert last summer. It was one of the most entertaining performances I've seen in a very long time. They know how to work a crowd. I'd buy an album of Barry Manilow b-sides before I ever spent money on a Nickelback album, though. They're horrible. But damn ... they put on a hell of a show.

As long as you're willing to distinguish between "talented" and "entertaining," I think we could be on the same page.

I went to a Nickelback concert last summer. It was one of the most entertaining performances I've seen in a very long time. They know how to work a crowd. I'd buy an album of Barry Manilow b-sides before I ever spent money on a Nickelback album, though. They're horrible. But damn ... they put on a hell of a show.

and that dude is married to this...

3780855250_74b358c987.jpg...to which I am a hater...

and for no reason special I want to shatter her pelvis and dislocate her hips in the most pleasureable of ways.

FYI: George Strait is a very straight-forward performer...no dancers, no suspending himself from the ceiling and "flying over the audience", no hydrolic lifting of the stage ...just a dude with a great voice, some pretty choice songs, and a really great band. Nothing fancy at all... IMO, far more talented than guys like Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks. He relies on the tried and true formula of good songs... he doesn't need anything else.

I am with you...even 2,000 is big for me. I prefer a club... but sometimes you gotta go where the music is being played if you want to hear the music being played live... it is just a different aesthetic... I see a lot of live music (at least once a week...back in the day it was more like 2-4 times a week), and rarely go to shows like this. My ex liked a lot of really mainstream pop acts, and quite often, I could get great, free tickets for these shows....if they were hard tickets, I would just give them to her and one of her daughters...but if it was a guest list/will call thing, I had to go with her....I have seen some acts that I would never in a million years imagined seeing... but you know what..it wasn't so bad, say, sitting in an auditorium watching Gloria Estefan... won't have to do that anymore! :thumbsup::cry:

FYI: George Strait is a very straight-forward performer...no dancers, no suspending himself from the ceiling and "flying over the audience", no hydrolic lifting of the stage ...just a dude with a great voice, some pretty choice songs, and a really great band. Nothing fancy at all... IMO, far more talented than guys like Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks. He relies on the tried and true formula of good songs... he doesn't need anything else.

I am with you...even 2,000 is big for me. I prefer a club... but sometimes you gotta go where the music is being played if you want to hear the music being played live... it is just a different aesthetic... I see a lot of live music (at least once a week...back in the day it was more like 2-4 times a week), and rarely go to shows like this. My ex liked a lot of really mainstream pop acts, and quite often, I could get great, free tickets for these shows....if they were hard tickets, I would just give them to her and one of her daughters...but if it was a guest list/will call thing, I had to go with her....I have seen some acts that I would never in a million years imagined seeing... but you know what..it wasn't so bad, say, sitting in an auditorium watching Gloria Estefan... won't have to do that anymore! :thumbsup::cry:

Fortunately for me the music I like now is not performed in front of 10's of thousands. I know I can be up front leaning against the stage watching Widespread Panic and after the show walk outside, find a cab and be home before you even remember where you parked at these big venues. I don't need to hang with the great unwashed to enjoy a great show. I spent the weekend on my couch watching a stream of Mountain Jam and was in heaven.