Chef Jim...need a ruling

Beerball

A government agency using scientific proof vs emotion? You have got to be kidding me. They do nothing differently in France. How do they keep the boards from growing the wrong bacteria? By growing the right bacteria/molds. The rind on Brie is a mold and good mold. When I make my Camembert I introduce a good mold, penicillum candidium that covers the cheese in a protective mold. When I make my cured sausages they are covered in a white mold that protects the meat from any bad harmful molds/bacteria. It's been perfected over centuries of trial and error. Cheese makers are the most careful group of food producers I know. Touring their facilities is facinating.

:lol:

I know, I know... Walked right into that door! Really? What's your take on what they are doing. Just to be d*ckheads and put the screws to the small business owner. Come on? Is big cheese in bed w/the gov't? What gives?

A government agency using scientific proof vs emotion? You have got to be kidding me. They do nothing differently in France. How do they keep the boards from growing the wrong bacteria? By growing the right bacteria/molds. The rind on Brie is a mold and good mold. When I make my Camembert I introduce a good mold, penicillum candidium that covers the cheese in a protective mold. When I make my cured sausages they are covered in a white mold that protects the meat from any bad harmful molds/bacteria. It's been perfected over centuries of trial and error. Cheese makers are the most careful group of food producers I know. Touring their facilities is facinating.

Intersting. In France do they check to make sure some shlep isn't making & selling cheese? How do they make sure? I have a hard time believing that free market cheese in France works the same as it would in the US. The culture (pun intended) is different.

I know, I know... Walked right into that door! Really? What's your take on what they are doing. Just to be d*ckheads and put the screws to the small business owner. Come on? Is big cheese in bed w/the gov't? What gives?

Do a little research of who Monica Metz (cheif of the FDA) used to work for and there's your answer. She worked for Leprino Foods the world's largest producer of Mozzarella cheese. Who is getting hit the hardest by the artisan cheese movement? Companies producing large quantities of crap cheese such as Leprino and Kraft.

Intersting. In France do they check to make sure some shlep isn't making & selling cheese? How do they make sure? I have a hard time believing that free market cheese in France works the same as it would in the US. The culture (pun intended) is different.

The French are a proud people when it comes to food production. They control their own.

Some bureaucrat who knows nothing about cheese is using an overly simplistic view of the world and calling it "science." "Cheese requires bacteria and microbes. Wood is absorbent. Wood will absorb microbes from the cheese. Wood creates a microbial ecology that can contaminate the cheese. Wood bad!"

The more serious impact isn't to American artisan cheese makers - that impact is serious, no doubt, but some will adapt, some will close shop. Far more serious is the impact on the import market - aside from foreign manufactures now needing to retool their production if they want to import cheese in to the US, some foreign artisan cheeses require by law aging on wooden boards, thus will now be illegal to import under the FDA's ruling. I'm surprised the EU hasn't weighed in on this already, frankly.

Do a little research of who Monica Metz (cheif of the FDA) used to work for and there's your answer. She worked for Leprino Foods the world's largest producer of Mozzarella cheese. Who is getting hit the hardest by the artisan cheese movement? Companies producing large quantities of crap cheese such as Leprino and Kraft.

The French are a proud people when it comes to food production. They control their own.

Thanks. That was my hunch on both points.

Now... I can't afford 7 dollar a pound cheese let alone 28 dollars a pound. Is there a way to keep cheeses prices down for the masses? How do they do it in France?

No...but they're highly regulated nonetheless. Cheese manufacture is regulated in France very similar to wines - technically, any schmuck can make it, but there's strict standards and procedures you have to follow to earn an appellation.

Now... I can't afford 7 dollar a pound cheese let alone 28 dollars a pound. Is there a way to keep cheeses prices down for the masses? How do they do it in France?

They don't. Good cheese is very expensive. A pound is a shitload of cheese. Stick with Kraft singles. I think cheese like this would be wasted on you.

http://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-library/Bloomsdale

Some bureaucrat who knows nothing about cheese is using an overly simplistic view of the world and calling it "science." "Cheese requires bacteria and microbes. Wood is absorbent. Wood will absorb microbes from the cheese. Wood creates a microbial ecology that can contaminate the cheese. Wood bad!"

The more serious impact isn't to American artisan cheese makers - that impact is serious, no doubt, but some will adapt, some will close shop. Far more serious is the impact on the import market - aside from foreign manufactures now needing to retool their production if they want to import cheese in to the US, some foreign artisan cheeses require by law aging on wooden boards, thus will now be illegal to import under the FDA's ruling. I'm surprised the EU hasn't weighed in on this already, frankly.

Again... Interesting... Never knew the dynamics of big chesse/little cheese!

They don't. Good cheese is very expensive. A pound is a shitload of cheese. Stick with Kraft singles. I think cheese like this would be wasted on you.

http://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-library/Bloomsdale

It surely would be wasted. But my second mortgage to buy some would help a banker... ;-P

Don't take that attitude. To your point though, no it is not cheap, but don't shy away from it. Cheese merchants are excellent at putting together small cuts of various cheese for you. I go to the big market in philly and there are a few merchants and i tell them what i'd like to spend(i always keep it between $15-20), how many varieties i would like(i try and keep that between 4-6) and they do the work of making the best selections. Granted you are not going to feed the masses that way, but i am a single guy and it's just my way of discovering something new, and I don't do it alot, 2, 3, 4 times a year maybe. It's fun. The wegmans near me had a cave aged gruyere that really looked interesting but no way was i shelling out $30/pound...they cut off a small enough but big enough slice and i paid $4 and was happy i did. It may turn out artisinal cheeses aren't your thing, well, then you know but you gave it a shot...you may discover something great that will be worthy of spending some money on. food is fun(except radishes, they just suck ass)

Don't take that attitude. To your point though, no it is not cheap, but don't shy away from it. Cheese merchants are excellent at putting together small cuts of various cheese for you. I go to the big market in philly and there are a few merchants and i tell them what i'd like to spend(i always keep it between $15-20), how many varieties i would like(i try and keep that between 4-6) and they do the work of making the best selections. Granted you are not going to feed the masses that way, but i am a single guy and it's just my way of discovering something new, and I don't do it alot, 2, 3, 4 times a year maybe. It's fun. The wegmans near me had a cave aged gruyere that really looked interesting but no way was i shelling out $30/pound...they cut off a small enough but big enough slice and i paid $4 and was happy i did. It may turn out artisinal cheeses aren't your thing, well, then you know but you gave it a shot...you may discover something great that will be worthy of spending some money on. food is fun(except radishes, they just suck ass)

Do you ever do beer/cheese pairings? There are many out there that say beer goes better with artisinal cheese that wine does.

i've done cheese plates while drinking beers but nothing formal where someone puts the right cheese with the right beer..i would like to do that, but truth be told, most cheeses go very well with my go to IPA style. :-)

Do you ever do beer/cheese pairings? There are many out there that say beer goes better with artisinal cheese that wine does.

True... When we head through Wisconsin, there was some pretty nice shops that we visit... Down to earth too... Past spring we went through Kraukauna, WI... LoL... Reasonable too, probably because there are so many shops. The wife is more into the good cheese, but she got stuck with me... LoL... I never begrudge... Grumble when 100's start getting dropped, but never begrudge... I still can't afford it!

In a statement issued Tuesday, however, the FDA seemed to backtrack on the stance. It noted that it hasn't taken any enforcement action based solely on the use of wood shelves. And while it said it has expressed concern about whether wood can be adequately cleaned, it added that it is "always open to evidence that shows that wood can be safely used for specific purposes, such as aging cheese."

How about the fact that cheese has been aged on wood for centuries without any major outbreaks of foodborne illness. Case closed!

How about the fact that cheese has been aged on wood for centuries without any major outbreaks of foodborne illness. Case closed!

Sure, you can use wood...as long as YOU can prove to US that it's not unsanitary.

• 2 months later...